Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Famous Animals goes to London.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline skate Reading
16 Jul 2015, 04:01 AM | Post: #1

Dragon lady

Thanked 82 times

What I Read

Famous Animals goes to London.

This post was last modified: 20 Dec 2016 08:57 AM by skate.
I'm still plodding towards getting my new picture book, 'Famous Animals' off to Ingram Spark for printing. Learning to use InDesign has been a steep learning curve, but I think I'm almost there. Now I'm working on the blurb. This is what I've got, but I'd love some help...

"What happens when you combine a love of art, animals and history with a quirky imagination? You get a book which is very hard to describe. It’s educational, but not entirely non-fiction. It’s a picture book, but not entirely for children. Maybe it is best described as an alternative history. A look at a world where animals made history and became famous, served with a side dish of real history and zoology and sprinkled with whimsy. A book to appeal to all ages."

I'm trying to avoid the word 'humour' so that Americans don't think I can't spell.
Kate Smile

[Image: 51%2BGUmuHNZL._SL160_.jpg]  [Image: 51YCbxnW97L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51zikidnNHL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51al4tl8wNL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51LHuK4mbxL._SL95.jpg] 

Enter a world of Fantasy for all ages!  www.katiewstewart.com
Add that final sparkle to your books Magic Owl Design
Offline Ray Kingfisher Reading No, Writing.
16 Jul 2015, 07:06 AM | Post: #2

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 120 times

What I Read

RE: Famous Animals - help with the blurb please?

(16 Jul 2015 04:01 AM)skate Wrote: Wrote:  I'm still plodding towards getting my new picture book, 'Famous Animals' off to Ingram Spark for printing. Learning to use InDesign has been a steep learning curve, but I think I'm almost there. Now I'm working on the blurb. This is what I've got, but I'd love some help...

"What happens when you combine a love of art, animals and history with a quirky imagination? You get a book which is very hard to describe. It’s educational, but not entirely non-fiction. It’s a picture book, but not entirely for children. Maybe it is best described as an alternative history. A look at a world where animals made history and became famous, served with a side dish of real history and zoology and sprinkled with whimsy. A book to appeal to all ages."

I'm trying to avoid the word 'humour' so that Americans don't think I can't spell. Smile
It's all too 'blocky' for me, Kate. I like blurbs to be a series of snappy lines with white space between - almost a poem. You also haven't mentioned the name of the book. Rather than go through the reasoning, I've just done my own:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a love of art, animals and history, add a quirky imagination, and what do you get?

Well, in this case you get a book which is very hard to describe.

It’s educational, but has a little fiction thrown in.

It’s a picture book, but not just for children.

Maybe it’s best described as ‘alternative history’ - a peek into a world where animals made history.

'Famous Animals' is served with a garnish of zoology, a seasoning of whimsy, and a side salad of real history.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take what you want from that, Kate!
[Image: 51y5K6eT-IL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 41Sbp8zGoPL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51-U1w3xnrL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51N1yXKzonL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 512YvYLa3-L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51LT3qz-%2BzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51ka%2BBWFFYL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51leGk78ZOL._SL95.jpg]

www.raykingfisher.com
Offline JMac Reading
16 Jul 2015, 08:07 AM | Post: #3

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 112 times

What I Read

I would only make one small change:

A book that will appeal to all ages."
[Image: 51OrxcsLXxL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41Z1zWZWoVL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51wwaQ0eCUL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61NZh-9tWdL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51N1NfV6hDL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41E8xjz4GJL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51SY%2BD6BfaL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
16 Jul 2015, 09:31 AM | Post: #4

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

I agree with Julie, regarding "will appeal".

I'd recommend not splitting the blurb into separate lines, at least not on the Kindle version. Space is at a premium on your Amazon book page, and the last thing you want is to force a potential reader to click the more button. (by all means do it on the paperback)
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline Ray Kingfisher Reading No, Writing.
16 Jul 2015, 09:49 AM | Post: #5

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 120 times

What I Read

(16 Jul 2015 09:31 AM)Tim_A Wrote: Wrote:  I agree with Julie, regarding "will appeal".

I'd recommend not splitting the blurb into separate lines, at least not on the Kindle version. Space is at a premium on your Amazon book page, and the last thing you want is to force a potential reader to click the more button. (by all means do it on the paperback)

Fair point. Personally I only read on my kindle - I browse and buy on my PC.
[Image: 51y5K6eT-IL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 41Sbp8zGoPL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51-U1w3xnrL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51N1yXKzonL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 512YvYLa3-L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51LT3qz-%2BzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51ka%2BBWFFYL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51leGk78ZOL._SL95.jpg]

www.raykingfisher.com
Offline davidwailing Reading
16 Jul 2015, 10:35 AM | Post: #6

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

I cannot wait for this book. Everything I've seen so far makes me think it's going to be superb!

Katie, I think a lot of your blurb is really good, but I would suggest altering the approach. There's something a bit apologetic about saying that a book is 'hard to describe'. I think some readers might be put off by that. Try to be more confident in the tone of the blurb, and get across that this is a fantastic blend of art, history and humour. Sell it to me as something I will love!

I'd also suggest avoiding words like 'quirky' and 'whimsy' as for some people, these are weak words that suggest it doesn't have broad appeal. Write the blurb like you know it's going to be top of the bestseller lists.

If you are finding it hard to describe, how about including some actual examples of animal characters from the book?
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk
Offline skate Reading
16 Jul 2015, 01:47 PM | Post: #7

Dragon lady

Thanked 82 times

What I Read

(16 Jul 2015 10:35 AM)davidwailing Wrote: Wrote:  I cannot wait for this book. Everything I've seen so far makes me think it's going to be superb!

Yikes! Can I live up to these expectations? Omg

Thanks, David and everyone for your comments. Is this any better?

"What happens when you combine a love of art, animals and history with a sense of humour? You get a book which is delightfully different. Famous Animals is an alternative history, an artistic glimpse at a world of such noteworthy animals as Felix Mendelswann, Joan Aardvark and Luciano Pavaratti. At the same time, it is a biographical look at some equally noteworthy humans.

A book that will appeal to young and old alike."

By the way, Tim, I'm not planning on sending this to Kindle. It's going to be print only. I don't think Kindle would do it justice.
Kate Smile

[Image: 51%2BGUmuHNZL._SL160_.jpg]  [Image: 51YCbxnW97L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51zikidnNHL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51al4tl8wNL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51LHuK4mbxL._SL95.jpg] 

Enter a world of Fantasy for all ages!  www.katiewstewart.com
Add that final sparkle to your books Magic Owl Design
Offline Kath Middleton Reading Hell, yes!
16 Jul 2015, 02:42 PM | Post: #8

Book Obsessive

Thanked 703 times

What I Read

it is a biographical look - sounds odd to me - takes a biographical look?
[Image: 51-o4ONEe4L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ex7iwZKuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ZbDrktmuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51F7dWY8IKL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
16 Jul 2015, 03:24 PM | Post: #9

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

Okay, disregard my comment then.
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline JMac Reading
16 Jul 2015, 09:54 PM | Post: #10

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 112 times

What I Read

I'm not as expert as some others on this forum, but isn't it 'a book that is delightfully different'? (rather than which). Equally nit-picky - a glimpse of rather than at? Apologies if this is either not correct or irrelevant!
[Image: 51OrxcsLXxL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41Z1zWZWoVL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51wwaQ0eCUL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61NZh-9tWdL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51N1NfV6hDL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41E8xjz4GJL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51SY%2BD6BfaL._SL95.jpg]

Currently Reading: Last Book I Read:The Element by Ken Robinson Favourite Genres:Fantasy, Historical, CrimeFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:No, Writing. Last Book I Read:Celluloid - Holly Curtis Favourite Genres:comedy, heavy emotional drama.Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Literary fictionFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Contemporary fiction, humour, mystery, thriller, SFFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Hell, yes! Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, crime, thriller, horror, a touch of sci-fiFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations