Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

The Legend Of Barney Thomson

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline nigel p bird Reading
20 Jun 2015, 11:15 AM | Post: #1

Posting Freak

Thanked 20 times

What I Read

The Legend Of Barney Thomson

This post was last modified: 20 Jun 2015 11:30 AM by nigel p bird.
I was at the world premiere of this on Wednesday at the Edinburgh International Film Festival. Essentially I went along because I'd read the book the long midnight of barney thomson and am also rather proud to share the same publisher as the author Douglas Lindsay. You can find out a little about the film here - http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

It's not always an easy thing settling to a film when you've loved the book, but it didn't take long. It’s a very funny, dark piece just like the novel. It opens with the posting of body parts by a serial killer and in the barber’s shop where Barney is on the verge of losing his job. The police are on the case after a fashion and, due to unforeseen events, eventually end up on Barney’s doorstep. 

In terms of the plot, I won’t elaborate here. I can say that it’s extremely funny, visually very pleasing (occasionally stunning) and that the performances are superbly OTT. As reference points, I’d pick Shallow Grave, After Hours and TV’s Tutti Frutti with a nip of Hot Fuzz and Carry On. 

Judging by the guffaws of the audience, this one’s going to do very well indeed. A word of warning, it’s not for those who dislike strong language or the macabre. It was great to see the majority of the cast there, although Emma Thompson and Ray Winstone couldn't make it along. I must confess I was particularly moved to see Tom Courtney up on stage (Long Distance Runner and Billy Liar rank right up there for me).  

The reviews have been mixed. It's been pointed out that the English press seem to like it a whole lot more than the Scottish, which is interesting in itself.  If you're a self-published writer, this is a success story that might give you hope. Of course, having your book made into a feature film can't happen to everyone, but it can happen.  

Check out the book if you want to be ahead of the game, otherwise add this one to your to be watched list.
Thanks,

nigel

The Shallows

Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:crime, noir, hard-boiledFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations