Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Coming Soon: A New Font

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline leep
27 May 2015, 09:19 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 15 times

Coming Soon: A New Font

Apparently the app and the e-ink devices will soon be equipped with a new display engine and a new font, which will make ebooks look more like paper books:

"But today, Amazon is making a big step towards better typography on the Kindle. Not only are they unveiling Bookerly, the first typeface designed for the Kindle for scratch, but they're finally solving the Kindle's typesetting problems with an all-new layout engine that introduces better text justification, kerning, drop caps, image positioning, and more."

Just downloaded the updated app on my phone and it looks quite nice, certainly very readable, better than the previous one I had selected. It's not going to change the world, but I think it's a nice little improvement.
[Image: 41b1WpC7L5L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41ibvqKEBFL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51XqLx%2BhxIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51g%2BiINoLAL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51bOIIJsknL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 6117LLScjrL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41H6AeNw4QL._SL95_.jpg]
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
28 May 2015, 12:30 AM | Post: #2

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

RE: Coming Soon: A New Font

15 minutes after I started reading with the new font, the Kindle app on my iPad crashed. Coincidence? It's never crashed before . . .
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline authorsbrianferrispamelaferris Reading
28 May 2015, 01:39 AM | Post: #3

kindle authors Amazon

Thanked 2 times

What I Read

Reading Kindle We don't have an ipod, but just the same thank you we'll stay away from the new font, but I (Brian) am thinking of getting a kindle to see what book reading on one is like since so many others in the world have one nowUndecided Get with the crowd they say-?
Offline authorsbrianferrispamelaferris Reading
28 May 2015, 01:40 AM | Post: #4

kindle authors Amazon

Thanked 2 times

What I Read

(28 May 2015 01:39 AM)authorsbrianferrispamelaferris Wrote: Wrote:  Reading Kindle We don't have an ipod, but just the same thank you we'll stay away from the new font, but I (Brian) am thinking of getting a kindle to see what book reading on one is like since so many others in the world have one nowUndecided Get with the crowd they say-?
     correct that from ipod to ipad, sorry.
Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
28 May 2015, 05:59 AM | Post: #5

Super Moderator

Thanked 163 times

What I Read

The Kindle app on my iPad updated yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to really test it out yet. Also no crashing problems for me Tim, so not sure what is happening there. Sad
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up
Offline alexroddie Reading The Terror by Dan Simmons
28 May 2015, 06:42 AM | Post: #6

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

Excellent news! The new typography is more exciting than the new typeface, to be honest, although it is very nice - I always thought slab serif was a little strange as the default body text type.
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
28 May 2015, 08:49 AM | Post: #7

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

I agree it does look nice. I'll see if the crash was a one-off next time use it.
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline Matt McQueen
05 Jun 2015, 09:26 AM | Post: #8

Thanked 2 times

I'm hoping this new font and display engine will appear soon on my Paperwhite.  We spend a lot of time reading screens these days, so any improvement is always welcome.
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
05 Jun 2015, 08:11 PM | Post: #9

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

I lined a book up on my iphone as I was going to have to wait for my kebab and wanted to read in the 2 minutes I'd have to wait.
I had a message saying "open in bookerly" (or summat). I thought "no, I want to open in kindle", then I remembered Big Grin
I only read a chapter, but didn't notice anything too different. And the kebab was lush Smile
Hedgehogs rock.

Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:ufo science fiction adventure, crime fiction etc
Currently Reading:The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard Last Book I Read:To the Grave by Steve Robinson Favourite Genres:I don't mind, as long as it's good!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Terror by Dan Simmons Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Historical fiction, literary classics, landscape writingFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations