Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Author

Thanked 391 times

What I Read

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

I've just seen a teaser for Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel. It appears the BBC have dramatised it.
This book is in my  top five all time reads and when I saw the teaser my eyes bulged. I had no idea this was on the cards so forgive my excitement! 
Indeed many of you have probably never heard of it at all! 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02mrqzv
It takes a lot to get me excited these days. (The new Star Wars film trailer had a similar effect) but this did the trick! 

Anyone else read it?
New for May 2017

[Image: 51QQl4j3AWL._SL95.jpg]

The Church of Broken Pieces

Offline Jonathan Hill
25 Apr 2015, 11:41 AM | Post: #2

Author

Thanked 401 times

What I Read

RE: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

I've had it on my shelf for years and not been brave enough to tackle it! It's HUGE!!
[Image: 51w2OgUyUJL._SL95.jpg]

A Surprise for Maureen - out now!

Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
25 Apr 2015, 12:16 PM | Post: #3

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

I've not read it, but after reading this: https://www.drake.org.uk... I went straight to my Sky Never Miss to add it Smile
Hedgehogs rock.

Author

Thanked 391 times

What I Read

(25 Apr 2015 12:16 PM)joo Wrote: Wrote:  I've not read it, but after reading this: https://www.drake.org.uk...   I went straight to my Sky Never Miss to add it Smile
That's a postive review if I've ever seen one! Thanks Joo.
You should Jonathan, although I imagine the adaptation will be out a while before you finish the book!
New for May 2017

Offline Scribbler Reading TBR list - I hate you!
25 Apr 2015, 06:46 PM | Post: #5

I'm not really a duck

Thanked 699 times

What I Read

Never heard of it. I thought it was the title of your latest story, David. Undecided
Scribbler's scribblings:
 Amazon Author Page

Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
25 Apr 2015, 08:27 PM | Post: #6

Super Moderator

Thanked 163 times

What I Read

I have to hang my head in shame, I am like Jonathan and have it but never got round to reading it. Maybe I should buy it for my Kindle, because nowadays a book that long would be way to heavy to hold in my hands after using my Kindle for a few years.
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up

Author

Thanked 391 times

What I Read

It is a bit of a beast in terms of size but I like to read an epic from time to time. Actually some of my favourite books seem to be epics! 
I read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel here - http://www.applecrosscottages.com whilst with Mrs H (pre- little one) and it was isolated abd idyllic. We had no tv, no internet, just peace and quiet. After spending the days walking it was bliss to get a fire going, crack open a bottle and read. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed the book so much - the situation I was in! 
I'll go back there someday and take another epic with me. Any suggestions?
New for May 2017

Offline Mads Sorensen Reading A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter
26 Apr 2015, 04:44 PM | Post: #8

Author

Thanked 176 times

What I Read

Back in the 70's I read War and Peace (free on Kindle) during a two month expedition to North Greenland. There was little else to do in the evening in our tiny tent, and no need for torchlight as darkness didn't fall during those two months.

I really enjoyed it, but I think you need a serious stretch of quiet time to get into it. There are a fair number of character's names, most of them with two or three different names.
[Image: 41rhkIGNKiL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51mqDt327EL._SL95.jpg]    [Image: 51c7sKtKbeL._SL95.jpg]

Author

Thanked 391 times

What I Read

Mads,that sounds like the beginning of an excellent memoir! 
I've never met anyone who has been to Greenland, why were you there?
New for May 2017

Offline I ♥ my Kindle Reading Sraship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein
26 Apr 2015, 07:40 PM | Post: #10

BookWorm

Thanked 22 times

What I Read

I bought the book when it first appeared in paperback (pre kindle, ancient ! Tongue )
I started to read it, I found the writing style dull, and the book couldn't hold my attention and I gave up reading it. (I hate admitting being defeated by a book) Didn't find the story interesting enough to carry on.

I will give the series a go when it's on, maybe it will inspire me to try a second time.

I tried to read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but found it dull and gave up, but once I watched the film, I gave the book another go and went on to read the series, and enjoyed them.

Currently Reading:The Third Rule (The Complete Story) by Andrew Barrett Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:TBR list - I hate you! Last Book I Read:Maureen Goes to Venice by Jonathan Hill Favourite Genres:Anything with biker chicks... and unicorns.
Currently Reading:The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard Last Book I Read:To the Grave by Steve Robinson Favourite Genres:I don't mind, as long as it's good!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Pretty much anything, apart from RomanceFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Sraship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein Last Book I Read:Devil's Advocate by Jonathan Maberry Favourite Genres:Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, True CrimeFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations