Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

The rise in the number of eBooks available on Kindle (with figures from 2010)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Daphne Reading Wanted by Tim Arnot
05 Apr 2015, 04:38 PM | Post: #1

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

The rise in the number of eBooks available on Kindle (with figures from 2010)

This post was last modified: 05 Apr 2015 04:54 PM by Daphne.
I happened to notice that there were 91 000 new eBooks released on Kindle this month and became curious about how much and how fast the figure had risen over the years and did a little research for some facts and figures for anyone else who is interested:

The first Kindle was released in the US in 2007

In 2010 there were said to be over 400 000 titles available for Kindle

The Kindle became available from Amazon.co.uk in August 2010* (I think?)

According to an article in the Daily Mail in September 2011 there were 650 000 eBooks for sale and a million free books available

Elsewhere the figure of 765 000 in July of 2011 is cited

The most recent figure I can find for April 2015 is 3 464 475 (three and a half million – and rising)

The article in the Mail I mentioned above was titled How you can make a million writing your own e-book  and may have encourage more people to try writing their eBook

But bear in mind that back at the beginning of 2010 when I bought my first Kindle direct from the US, people I met asked what on earth it was – so there may have been fewer books available, but there were far fewer people who were buying them than now.

There are currently 893 611 books available from Kindle Unlimited

If anyone else can add any interesting figures related to the numbers of eBooks available or how many were being bought at any time, please add.

* confirmation or correction would be welcome

Edited to add: It is estimated that there are 30 million Kindle eReaders currently in use Here
[Image: 51F7xHVzRlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51elwZ0zy4L._SL95.jpg]
Daphne Coleridge | Twitter
Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
05 Apr 2015, 08:15 PM | Post: #2

Super Moderator

Thanked 163 times

What I Read

RE: The rise in the number of eBooks available on Kindle (with figures from 2010)

I know whenever I go out, people seem to be reading either Kindles or other electronic reading devices, and far fewer are reading actual books. I don't think I would ever go back to clunky heavy books now, I am so used to reading on either my trusty Kindle keyboard (yes, it is still going strong), or my Kindle Fire, it wouldn't feel right to read a printed novel again. The only physical books I read are cookery books, for some reason I can't seem to convert to the kindle versions of those yet.
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up
06 Apr 2015, 08:06 AM | Post: #3

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

RE: The rise in the number of eBooks available on Kindle (with figures from 2010)

This post was last modified: 06 Apr 2015 08:07 AM by Daphne.
(05 Apr 2015 08:15 PM)sujay Wrote: Wrote:  I know whenever I go out, people seem to be reading either Kindles or other electronic reading devices, and far fewer are reading actual books. I don't think I would ever go back to clunky heavy books now, I am so used to reading on either my trusty Kindle keyboard (yes, it is still going strong), or my Kindle Fire, it wouldn't feel right to read a printed novel again. The only physical books I read are cookery books, for some reason I can't seem to convert to the kindle versions of those yet.
Like you, sujay, I read on my Kindle Fire and also, when I'm out, on my Fire Phone. I don't actually have an e-ink eReader at the moment (must get one for reading on sunny days). So the estimated 30 million may not be the full number as I don't think it includes readers using the Kindle reading app.
Offline Mads Sorensen Reading A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter
06 Apr 2015, 09:52 AM | Post: #4

Author

Thanked 176 times

What I Read

(06 Apr 2015 08:06 AM)Daphne Wrote: Wrote:  
(05 Apr 2015 08:15 PM)sujay Wrote: Wrote:  I know whenever I go out, people seem to be reading either Kindles or other electronic reading devices, and far fewer are reading actual books. I don't think I would ever go back to clunky heavy books now, I am so used to reading on either my trusty Kindle keyboard (yes, it is still going strong), or my Kindle Fire, it wouldn't feel right to read a printed novel again. The only physical books I read are cookery books, for some reason I can't seem to convert to the kindle versions of those yet.
Like you, sujay, I read on my Kindle Fire and also, when I'm out, on my Fire Phone. I don't actually have an e-ink eReader at the moment (must get one for reading on sunny days). So the estimated 30 million may not be the full number as I don't think it includes readers using the Kindle reading app.
Most young people I know don't have e-readers. They read books on their phones.
[Image: 41rhkIGNKiL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51mqDt327EL._SL95.jpg]    [Image: 51c7sKtKbeL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
06 Apr 2015, 10:02 AM | Post: #5

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

Don't know about numbers, but most people I see reading out in the wild read on their phones or tablets. It's only places like this and the GR forums, where actual kindles seem to abound.
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
06 Apr 2015, 10:07 AM | Post: #6

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

I have to agree with Mads and Tim - not least because I now do much of my reading on my phone. Before I tried it, I assumed it would be quite hard to read on a small screen, but actually it is fine.
Offline JMac Reading
06 Apr 2015, 04:34 PM | Post: #7

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 112 times

What I Read

Going back to those numbers, I am shocked to hear there are three and half million books available to buy or download free. That being the case, it's quite an achievement getting books into the top 100,000. I'll remember that next time I have a day or two when nothing sells - there must be quite a lot of books that never sell at all. It also makes me wonder how many you must have to sell to get into the top 100. I would really love that, as I'm sure we all would, but I'm much more realistic about the chance of it happening these days.
[Image: 51OrxcsLXxL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41Z1zWZWoVL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51wwaQ0eCUL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61NZh-9tWdL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51N1NfV6hDL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41E8xjz4GJL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51SY%2BD6BfaL._SL95.jpg]
Offline nigel p bird Reading
06 Apr 2015, 06:03 PM | Post: #8

Posting Freak

Thanked 20 times

What I Read

Amazing figures from all angles.

And our niece is visiting just now and she does her reading on the phone.

It all helps to explain why it was so much easier for a title to take root back in 2010 and why it's so much harder now.

Thanks for the info.
Thanks,

nigel

The Shallows
Offline alexroddie Reading The Terror by Dan Simmons
06 Apr 2015, 10:40 PM | Post: #9

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

The statistics are clear — the vast majority of people read on their phones, and this trend has only increased with the rise of large-screened smartphones. I used to read Kindle books on my 3.5" iPod Touch for years before I ever got an e-ink Kindle. Although e-ink is slightly easier on the eyes, for most people there's no problem with reading on a small screen — and I must admit I will have to think hard about whether I actually need to replace my Kindle 4 when it gives up the ghost.
07 Apr 2015, 06:57 AM | Post: #10

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

(06 Apr 2015 10:40 PM)alexroddie Wrote: Wrote:  The statistics are clear — the vast majority of people read on their phones, and this trend has only increased with the rise of large-screened smartphones.
There is a very good article on this Here. It basically states that the advent of the iPhone had a far more disruptive effect on the (publishing) world than the Kindle. And it cites a projected market of 2.4 billion smartphones in 2015, compared to their figure of 20 million Kindles. Basically the article concludes that "The scale of the mobile opportunity dwarfs the accomplishments of e-reader".

Currently Reading:Wanted by Tim Arnot Last Book I Read:I Like You For Murder: Emily Nemchick Favourite Genres:Eclectic ReaderFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard Last Book I Read:To the Grave by Steve Robinson Favourite Genres:I don't mind, as long as it's good!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Pretty much anything, apart from RomanceFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Literary fictionFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:crime, noir, hard-boiledFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Terror by Dan Simmons Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Historical fiction, literary classics, landscape writingFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations