Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

PIRACY - again.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Dorte Hummelshoj Reading Blood Harvest by S.J. Bolton
01 Apr 2015, 10:45 AM | Post: #1

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 78 times

What I Read

PIRACY - again.

Sorry if this platform has been brought up before - I keep my nose in a book (I'm editing) most of the time so I don't notice much.
But I found out two days ago, that a site called Rochesterresources.com - apparantly in Canada - has pirated a couple of my Danish e-books and offer them for free download.
A Danish acquaintance who lives in Canada has very kindly offered to call them and complain, but really, there is hardly much we can do, is there? I think these copies come from Smashwords, and it seems as if their versions are made into illegal copies more often that books from other platforms. Still, I do want the few hundred dollars I make from Smashwords every year ...
Writer of traditional crime fiction. My blog

[Image: 51qhtZaEtGL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51DtkUTwjUL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61%2B462czKNL._SL95.jpg][Image: 614sqAeapVL._SL95.jpg][Image: 510FBkJujnL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51Tpv4zQPNL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51A8eLRZfeL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61aoEY2n0ML._SL95.jpg]
Gem
[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Gem[/font]
Offline Fee-ChristineAKS
01 Apr 2015, 03:01 PM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

RE: PIRACY - again.

I just came across this platform/forum as a friend sent me a link to a discussion about one of my books ( I want to read [Waehrend der Schnee leise] fiel by Fee-Christine Aks").

She clearly thought they were readers posting their good opinion of my work...But it was not even this kuforum.co.uk the discussion was held at - it was some site that (according to google - does not even exist.

I was SHOCKED when I read the posts more carefully and checked the links in them - they all go to piracy sites!

As I am a freelance author I really am sad to be comprived of my rightful earnings in this way.Is there any chance for this platform to filter for piracy or at least check the links routing in and out?

Interestingly enough, the pirates are also as clever as re-routing their chat through this platform - if I open the link my friend sent me several times, the content is different every time. But the piracy links are staying the same...

Please, please - think of the author who struggles very much to write a book! It is NOT FAIR to illegally download eBooks (and it's a felony as well, but you probably know that already).
---
Offline LindaGruchy Reading The Chandelier Ballroom by Elizabeth Lord
01 Apr 2015, 03:43 PM | Post: #3

Queen of the Typos

Thanked 41 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 01 Apr 2015 03:44 PM by LindaGruchy.
Can you run a "who is" and find the ISP? YOU can issue a cease and desist against the ISP because they are providing the service to the pirates.

I've given up, though. I just feel sick and demoralized every time this happens.

Anyone who downloads from pirates deserves the Trojans they get infected with.
Offline Kath Middleton Reading Hell, yes!
01 Apr 2015, 03:59 PM | Post: #4

Book Obsessive

Thanked 703 times

What I Read

I've emailed Lou again about this. I hope he can sort it.
[Image: 51-o4ONEe4L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ex7iwZKuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ZbDrktmuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51F7dWY8IKL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Scribbler Reading TBR list - I hate you!
01 Apr 2015, 05:59 PM | Post: #5

I'm not really a duck

Thanked 699 times

What I Read

Dem pirates are bad dudes.
.gif  PIRATE FLAG.gif (Size: 33.61 KB / Downloads: 136) That site is a can o' worms though. Had a looksee today. Undecided
Scribbler's scribblings:
 Amazon Author Page

Offline Dorte Hummelshoj Reading Blood Harvest by S.J. Bolton
01 Apr 2015, 07:14 PM | Post: #6

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 78 times

What I Read

They are pains! That's what they are Sad
Writer of traditional crime fiction. My blog

[Image: 51qhtZaEtGL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51DtkUTwjUL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61%2B462czKNL._SL95.jpg][Image: 614sqAeapVL._SL95.jpg][Image: 510FBkJujnL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51Tpv4zQPNL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51A8eLRZfeL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61aoEY2n0ML._SL95.jpg]
Gem
[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Gem[/font]
Offline Fee-ChristineAKS
02 Apr 2015, 04:04 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

(01 Apr 2015 03:43 PM)LindaGruchy Wrote: Wrote:  Can you run a "who is" and find the ISP? YOU can issue a cease and desist against the ISP because they are providing the service to the pirates.

I tried a Who Is look-up, but here's the thing: the piracy site masks as official forum sites and is not traceble with the means I have.
And frankly, even though I am still very pi***ed, I have decided not to waste my energy on criminals, but rather use it to write some more books.

Yet, of course, there is hope that those people get every kind of misfortune including uncomfortable heart-racing when they get picked up by the police one day.

Thank you all for your replies.
---
Offline authorsbrianferrispamelaferris Reading
25 May 2015, 12:28 AM | Post: #8

kindle authors Amazon

Thanked 2 times

What I Read

(01 Apr 2015 03:59 PM)Kath Middleton Wrote: Wrote:  I've emailed Lou again about this. I hope he can sort it.
:readingkindle:Hello, I'm replying because my wife Pamela and I discovered the same issue with our kindle books, you see we like to keep track of our kindle books using google to see when new customer reviews come up on Amazon. Sadly to say so did something called mialias. net (A skin that doesn't change face) but each time I clicked that link I came through to either general ebook-Comicbookforum, or cre8tesiteforum, or onlinebookclub.org, or kuforum uk, where parties discussing my kindle books named a downloading site called Booklibrary and yes one of our ufo science fiction kindle series is popular (book one sells for seventy pence). I know we should be angry and upset but the upside is this: it is the best advertisement we could ask for it is far cheaper to have kindle users use Booklibrary than it is to pay Amazon a penny a click for everyone who clicks on our amazon books to look at them. We dropped our kindle book prices from $9.99 to $2.99 to combat Booklibrary's seventy pence price and it is paying off we have sales already Smile.  The other facts now... To remove an ad for a pirate copy of your book and your book itself from any pirate site requires legal means (Which for us means the cost of protecting thirty-six kindle books which we cannot of course) and for others such as publishers with hundreds of books it will be even costlierHuh but there is good news it is the fact that most pirate sites charge money for personal info and only download partial books (and or viruses with them) so almost everyone on the net stays away from them they think things out Pondering. (Amazon kindle book support won't help they tell you to get legal means yourself)  but the end story we guess is not to worry about piracy they're good for advertisement in an internet-world where advertisement costs so much money. Very last note is that fact we found more people loving our ufo scifi series than we ever dreamed possible, it was very emotional to see what kindle users wrote about it, I would love to send them thank you notes but that is not possible our only way of really thanking them is dropping book price so everyone can get it. Thank you for your time you have day or night Smile
Offline Kath Middleton Reading Hell, yes!
25 May 2015, 08:19 AM | Post: #9

Book Obsessive

Thanked 703 times

What I Read

And that KUForum isn't us - and comicbooks is a serial offender.
[Image: 51-o4ONEe4L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ex7iwZKuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ZbDrktmuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51F7dWY8IKL._SL95.jpg]
Offline CougarD Reading Roses are Red - James Patterson
25 May 2015, 11:04 AM | Post: #10

Thanked 4 times

What I Read

I think the actual losses due to piracy are over estimated.
For example if 100 pirates download your ebook, it doesn't mean you've lost a 100 sales.
Most pirates download for free simply because they can.
How many of them would actually have bought the book?
[Image: 51Zh8oOlpsL._SX160_.jpg][Image: 51gsAfFsNfL._SX160_.jpg][Image: 51ZhqZq9-AL._SX160_.jpg][Image: 41MyQ%2B2qQ8L._SX160_.jpg]

Currently Reading:Blood Harvest by S.J. Bolton Last Book I Read:Did Anyone Die by Stella Stafford Favourite Genres:Crime fiction (police procedural, private sleuth, cosies)Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Chandelier Ballroom by Elizabeth Lord Last Book I Read:Fake Kate Favourite Genres:crime. women's fiction
Currently Reading:Hell, yes! Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, crime, thriller, horror, a touch of sci-fiFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:TBR list - I hate you! Last Book I Read:Maureen Goes to Venice by Jonathan Hill Favourite Genres:Anything with biker chicks... and unicorns.
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:ufo science fiction adventure, crime fiction etc
Currently Reading:Roses are Red - James Patterson Last Book I Read:Kill Shot - Vince Flynn Favourite Genres: