Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

RIP Sir Terry Pratchett

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Ray Kingfisher Reading No, Writing.
12 Mar 2015, 05:09 PM | Post: #1

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 120 times

What I Read

RIP Sir Terry Pratchett

After a long battle Alzheimer's disease, Sir Terry Pratchett has sadly passed away. Another great British writer bites the dust.

I have to confess I've never read any of his books, but I attended a conference a few years ago and he was a superb speaker, talking about the childhood influences on his life and writings.

I feel I need to right my wrong. For those who are fans of Sir Terry's work, what's a good one to start on?
[Image: 51y5K6eT-IL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 41Sbp8zGoPL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51-U1w3xnrL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51N1yXKzonL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 512YvYLa3-L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51LT3qz-%2BzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51ka%2BBWFFYL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51leGk78ZOL._SL95.jpg]

www.raykingfisher.com
Offline alexroddie Reading The Terror by Dan Simmons
12 Mar 2015, 05:43 PM | Post: #2

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

RE: RIP Sir Terry Pratchett

All of his books are magnificent. I don't think I have ever come across another writer whose work is so prolific, touching, varied, profound, imaginative, funny, and human. His work influenced me and helped shape me from a young age all the way into adulthood.

You could do far worse than starting with The Colour of Magic, although my favourite out of his early books is Mort (also coincidentally one of the first books I owned as a child). I think his later books show greater complexity and maturity, but they're best enjoyed more or less in chronological order.

It genuinely feels like I've lost a lifelong, treasured friend.
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
12 Mar 2015, 05:45 PM | Post: #3

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

I'd go for Night Watch. It's not the first one, or even nearly the first (it's actually the 29th!) but it's firmly in the zone of "Middle Pratchett", where all the best books are.

If you have an Audible  sub, I'd recommend that edition. - http://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/Night-Watch-Audiobook/B004FUH0W2 although full disclosure: the narrator is a chum.
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
12 Mar 2015, 05:48 PM | Post: #4

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

(12 Mar 2015 05:45 PM)Tim_A Wrote: Wrote:  I'd go for Night Watch. It's not the first one, or even nearly the first (it's actually the 29th!) but it's firmly in the zone of "Middle Pratchett", where all the best books are.

If you have an Audible  sub, I'd recommend that edition. - http://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/Night-Watch-Audiobook/B004FUH0W2 although full disclosure: the narrator is a chum.
Night Watch is one of my favourites. One of the best and most subtle blends of fantasy and historical commentary ever written, I think.

The fantasy element of the Discworld books is like the tip of an iceberg. There's so much more underneath the surface.
Offline Kath Middleton Reading Hell, yes!
12 Mar 2015, 05:50 PM | Post: #5

Book Obsessive

Thanked 703 times

What I Read
[Image: 51-o4ONEe4L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ex7iwZKuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ZbDrktmuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51F7dWY8IKL._SL95.jpg]
Offline cecilia_writer Reading Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox
12 Mar 2015, 06:19 PM | Post: #6

That Singular Anomaly the Lady Novelist

Thanked 232 times

What I Read

Yes, same here Kath. I tried to read 'The Colour of Magic' but didn't get on with it at all, and then my son who is also a big fan recommended I should start with the Watch books and then the Witches ones, so I have more or less stuck with these. Not sure if 'Going Postal' is exactly a Watch book but that's one of my favourites too.
I really enjoyed the tv adaptation of 'The Hogfather'.
I still have the steam train one waiting to be read on my Kindle. I'm quite glad I haven't started on it yet now that this has happened.
Offline Mads Sorensen Reading A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter
12 Mar 2015, 06:21 PM | Post: #7

Author

Thanked 176 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 12 Mar 2015 06:21 PM by Mads Sorensen.
I read Colour of Magic, wasn't impressed and stopped there. Sounds like I started in the wrong place.
[Image: 41rhkIGNKiL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51mqDt327EL._SL95.jpg]    [Image: 51c7sKtKbeL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
12 Mar 2015, 06:31 PM | Post: #8

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

Of the early books, Mort is probably the first one where he's really found his voice.
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!

Kiwi

Thanked 187 times

What I Read

Very sad to hear this, even though we knew it was coming. When reading the most recent in the Discworld series, Raising Steam, I got the sense that the news would not be far away.

Add me to those who first read The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, and wouldn't have carried on had I not been assured that I'd enjoy the later books much more. Night Watch is my favourite in the main Discworld sequence. I also love the Tiffany Aching series (a Discworld setting, but more or less standalone). I Shall Wear Midnight is probably my favourite Pratchett book of all.
Shayne Parkinson on Amazon
Historical novels set in New Zealand

http://www.shayneparkinson.com

[Image: 61qPxbDAZbL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61Dt7hmi6PL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61iaNoaiS-L._SL95.jpg][Image: 612jLhsad1L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51Yb7RaDEsL._SL95.jpg][Image: 411O4fzwK7L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51lofLnMF8L._SL95.jpg]
12 Mar 2015, 07:00 PM | Post: #10

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

I must admit I haven't actually read The Colour of Magic since I was about ten, so I might view it differently if I re-read it again now...

Currently Reading:No, Writing. Last Book I Read:Celluloid - Holly Curtis Favourite Genres:comedy, heavy emotional drama.Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Terror by Dan Simmons Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Historical fiction, literary classics, landscape writingFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F
Currently Reading:Hell, yes! Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, crime, thriller, horror, a touch of sci-fiFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue by MC Beaton Favourite Genres:Murder mystery; historicalFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Pretty much anything, apart from RomanceFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations