Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

To Poldark or not to Poldark?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Daphne Reading Wanted by Tim Arnot
05 Mar 2015, 08:12 AM | Post: #1

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

To Poldark or not to Poldark?

I absolutely adored the original Poldark series from the 1970s and still re-watch the videos. I have all twelve of Winston Graham's brilliant Poldark novels. I'm still in love with Robin Ellis. Should I watch the new series starting on Sunday or will I end up comparing and criticizing?
[Image: 51F7xHVzRlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51elwZ0zy4L._SL95.jpg]
Daphne Coleridge | Twitter
Offline SteeBee
05 Mar 2015, 08:25 AM | Post: #2

Thanked 8 times

RE: To Poldark or not to Poldark?

Give it a go. You will never know you may enjoy it as much as the original.
[Image: 61hpyazUycL._SL95.jpg][Image: 614WwGzpl9L._SL95.jpg]
Offline cecilia_writer Reading Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox
05 Mar 2015, 09:07 AM | Post: #3

That Singular Anomaly the Lady Novelist

Thanked 232 times

What I Read

NO! Don't do it, Daphne. This new upstart can't possibly be as good as Robin Ellis was.
By the way, if anyone would like DVDs of the original but in Spanish please let me know - my rarely-mentioned-for-good-reasons husband gave me these for Christmas [rolls eyes].
Offline lyndawrites Reading The Twopenny-Hat Detective by Brian Sellars
05 Mar 2015, 09:13 AM | Post: #4

Comma Abuser

Thanked 136 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 05 Mar 2015 09:14 AM by lyndawrites.
I agree with Cecilia, and you can add me to the list of Robin Ellis "droolers". Smile

I've never watched it again since seeing it on TV in the 70s, and I've long forgotten all the ins and outs of Poldark's battles with the Warleggans, but...no. I shan't watch.
[Image: 51WAa-2HmoL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51OHQsDRHwL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51fpdh2GGlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51hPHc37EWL._SL95.jpg]
05 Mar 2015, 09:48 AM | Post: #5

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

I've just dug out my old Poldarks - two VHS tapes and a couple of DVDs, but only seeming to go half way through series two. I could always watch these again (again).
Cecilia - Spanish, but with a Cornish accent, presumably - interesting, although not necessarily comprehensible. Still, worth watching for the scenery (and that includes Robin Ellis).
Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
05 Mar 2015, 11:20 AM | Post: #6

Super Moderator

Thanked 163 times

What I Read

Did you see The One Show last night fellow Poldark lovers? They had both the new Poldark on and in my humble opinion the best eye candy ever. If you missed it catch it on iPlayer. I am sure they said that the scar was on the opposite cheek now, but don't quote me on that.

I will have a look at the new version, though it will be hard to match it. We have to remember the technology has changed now so that might make a difference.
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up
05 Mar 2015, 11:55 AM | Post: #7

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

(05 Mar 2015 11:20 AM)sujay Wrote: Wrote:  I am sure they said that the scar was on the opposite cheek now, but don't quote me on that.

So it is! Robin Ellis had the scar on his right cheek, Aidan Turner on the left. Now I will have to re-read the book to see if it was ever specifically said where the scar was. Also, Elizabeth in the new version, although very beautiful, looks rather dark and statuesque, whereas I always pictured Elizabeth Chynoweth as very fair, delicate and almost ethereal. There I go, picking on things already, and I haven't even watched it yet!
The books are available on Kindle, starting with Ross Poldark and, unsurprisingly, seem to be selling well at the moment. I have my well-thumbed paperback version with Robin Ellis on the cover, so my afternoon is now sorted.
Offline Rosen Trevithick Reading
05 Mar 2015, 03:22 PM | Post: #8

Totally Splendid Hotshot Author

Thanked 278 times

What I Read

It's set in Cornwall. You may as well watch it for the scenery if nothing else.
[Image: 51we%2BNvX2aL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51dlN%2BeBifL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51Y3bTpE8eL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51gmgMPfnBL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51qdNKyGE9L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 61TE0dQyxjL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51Fbvd7KyWL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51YepJnT-dL._SL95.jpg]

Thanked 62 times

What I Read

Lets not forget Demelza. Angharad Rees was incredibly sexy. 
Not sure if the new one could reproduce that sexy smile.
[Image: 51lGcTxrpHL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61cQVj4XWPL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51A4pL6ZSOL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51a-E7VaVdL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51nkdZv9gsL._SL95.jpg]
Twitter:  @ADPase

Author

Thanked 391 times

What I Read

(05 Mar 2015 09:07 AM)cecilia_writer Wrote: Wrote:  NO! Don't do it, Daphne. This new upstart can't possibly be as good as Robin Ellis was.
By the way, if anyone would like DVDs of the original but in Spanish please let me know - my rarely-mentioned-for-good-reasons husband gave me these for Christmas [rolls eyes].
Haha! That's very funny, Cecilia!
I agree with Rosen. If for no other reason I might watch it to look at beautiful Cornwall again.
New for May 2017

[Image: 51QQl4j3AWL._SL95.jpg]

The Church of Broken Pieces

Currently Reading:Wanted by Tim Arnot Last Book I Read:I Like You For Murder: Emily Nemchick Favourite Genres:Eclectic ReaderFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue by MC Beaton Favourite Genres:Murder mystery; historicalFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Twopenny-Hat Detective by Brian Sellars Last Book I Read:Reunited in Death by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Mystery
Currently Reading:The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard Last Book I Read:To the Grave by Steve Robinson Favourite Genres:I don't mind, as long as it's good!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Comedy; Crime, thrillers and mysteryFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Last Chance to Die - Noah Boyd/James Paterson Last Book I Read:Gods and Beasts - Denise Mina Favourite Genres:Thriller, Crime, MysteryFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Third Rule (The Complete Story) by Andrew Barrett Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations