Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

The latest 'author earnings report' is out. How are we doing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson Reading Haven't got a Kindle. A big pile of books.
29 Jan 2015, 07:31 AM | Post: #1

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 68 times

What I Read

The latest 'author earnings report' is out. How are we doing?

This is our fifth quarterly Author Earnings report. It is based on a data snapshot of 120,000 of the best selling ebooks on Amazon, giving us a deep cross-sectional data sample comprising roughly 50% of Amazon’s daily ebook sales. According to the publishing industry’s most oft-cited estimate, Amazon controls 67% of the U.S. ebook market. Thus the title-level data used in our analysis includes roughly33% of all daily ebook sales in the U.S. No other industry survey or ebook market-size estimate comes close to this level of accuracy or detail.
http://authorearnings.com...
[Image: 51Jsj8BKT7L._SL95.jpg][Image: 61n%2BNqMHfRL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51tQNACHaQL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61YRPOlI-aL._SL95.jpg][Image: 516yhJDUG%2BL._SL95.jpg][Image: 615coUqLeML._SL95.jpg][Image: 51Ygt0kwwXL._SL95.jpg]
[Image: 616JvN8uAQL._SL95.jpg]
Offline alexroddie Reading The Terror by Dan Simmons
29 Jan 2015, 09:13 AM | Post: #2

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

RE: The latest 'author earnings report' is out. How are we doing?

Very interesting. The main thing I'm taking away from that report is that existing trends are continuing unabated, and rumours about the "end of ereading" and plateauing sales have no connection to reality.
Offline davidwailing Reading
29 Jan 2015, 09:49 AM | Post: #3

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

It's very interesting to see that ISBNs are now practically extinct for all the effect they have on publishing. It also explains why so many other reports on how self-published books are dying are inaccurate - they all rely on ISBN-based data, and the majority of indie books don't have ISBNs.
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk
29 Jan 2015, 11:51 AM | Post: #4

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 68 times

What I Read

(29 Jan 2015 09:49 AM)davidwailing Wrote: Wrote:  It's very interesting to see that ISBNs are now practically extinct for all the effect they have on publishing. It also explains why so many other reports on how self-published books are dying are inaccurate - they all rely on ISBN-based data, and the majority of indie books don't have ISBNs.
Yes, I thought that was interesting. I thought ISBN stood for International Standard Book Numbers, but I see they say it's Industry Standard Rolleyes
[Image: 51Jsj8BKT7L._SL95.jpg][Image: 61n%2BNqMHfRL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51tQNACHaQL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61YRPOlI-aL._SL95.jpg][Image: 516yhJDUG%2BL._SL95.jpg][Image: 615coUqLeML._SL95.jpg][Image: 51Ygt0kwwXL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Katherine Roberts Reading I keep forgetting to update this!
29 Jan 2015, 12:29 PM | Post: #5

young fantasy and legend/myth

Thanked 54 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 29 Jan 2015 12:30 PM by Katherine Roberts.
Yes, those 'shadow' books are very interesting! It's not only books without ISBNs that fall under this shadow, though... direct sales of books with ISBNs but not sold through the system, for example in schools on author visits (which can amount to hundreds of sales a day)  do not normally count, either.

These shadow sales might be good for the publisher's profit margins and the author's share of income, but not for long term careers, since I think many publishers still use ISBN data to help them decide whether to take on an author's next book - they do this because booksellers (the bigger ones who use the system) decide how many copies of a new book to stock based on the author's past ISBN data, so a less-than-stellar ISBN record can kill an author's career.

Whether it's possible to continue to build a career indie in the ISBN shadow, I'm not sure. I suppose eventually the computer system will have to be updated to count ASINs, etc. Until then, I am happy working in the shadow and earning invisible royalties... once they are in my bank account, they are a whole lot more visible than the ones sitting in my publisher's bank account awaiting payment because of late or inaccurate royalty statements!
Offline davidwailing Reading
29 Jan 2015, 12:55 PM | Post: #6

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

Nice point about royalties from publishers being less visible than the ones paid directly into your account, Katherine! These 'shadows' are pretty substantial to us indies.

However, I'm banning the word 'interesting' from this thread. Tongue
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk
29 Jan 2015, 01:07 PM | Post: #7

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 68 times

What I Read

(29 Jan 2015 12:29 PM)Katherine Roberts Wrote: Wrote:  Yes, those 'shadow' books are very interesting! It's not only books without ISBNs that fall under this shadow, though... direct sales of books with ISBNs but not sold through the system, for example in schools on author visits (which can amount to hundreds of sales a day)  do not normally count, either.

These shadow sales might be good for the publisher's profit margins and the author's share of income, but not for long term careers, since I think many publishers still use ISBN data to help them decide whether to take on an author's next book - they do this because booksellers (the bigger ones who use the system) decide how many copies of a new book to stock based on the author's past ISBN data, so a less-than-stellar ISBN record can kill an author's career.

Whether it's possible to continue to build a career indie in the ISBN shadow, I'm not sure. I suppose eventually the computer system will have to be updated to count ASINs, etc. Until then, I am happy working in the shadow and earning invisible royalties... once they are in my bank account, they are a whole lot more visible than the ones sitting in my publisher's bank account awaiting payment because of late or inaccurate royalty statements!
You make some good points. I've also sold books on author visits. Have you put these valuable comments in the comments section?

Currently Reading:Haven't got a Kindle. A big pile of books. Last Book I Read:Fiennders Abbey by Jean Marsh Favourite Genres:family saga, mystery, humour
Currently Reading:The Terror by Dan Simmons Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Historical fiction, literary classics, landscape writingFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Contemporary fiction, humour, mystery, thriller, SFFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:I keep forgetting to update this! Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:fantasy, historical, science fiction, horses, YAFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations