Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Reset to Factory Defaults

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline andyjenk
08 Feb 2011, 03:33 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

Reset to Factory Defaults

Does anyone know what this actually does? Does it return to an earlier version? Does it remove hacks? Or is it just things like font size and margins?
Offline Alex Reading A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin
08 Feb 2011, 04:43 PM | Post: #2

Super Moderator - KUF Junkie

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

RE: Reset to Factory Defaults

(08 Feb 2011 03:33 PM)andyjenk Wrote:  Does anyone know what this actually does? Does it return to an earlier version? Does it remove hacks? Or is it just things like font size and margins?

Hi Andy

Not very specific but this is what it says in the User Guide.

Reset to Factory Defaults — resets your Kindle to its original factory settings and restarts your device. You should only select this action if instructed to do so by Kindle Customer Service. Before you reset your Kindle to factory defaults, you must back up any personal documents, periodical issues older than the past seven issues that you’d like to keep, MP3, and Audible files. Once your Kindle restarts, you must create a new device password if you want to continue to password-protect your Kindle.
"The love of learning, the sequestered nooks.
And all the sweet serenity of books."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Offline AndyBSG Reading The Painted Man
08 Feb 2011, 05:26 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

It will set your Kindle back to exactly how it was when it shipped from the factory... In other words anything on your Kindle currently will disappear.

However, that is only if you actually use the option to reset to the defaults which you access through the menu.

There is also another reset you can do which will reset all the options and settings but won't remove your books and this one you do by holding the power switch for 30 to 45 seconds.

So, if you're having problems with the Kindle try the power switch one first, if that doesn't work you should back up anything on your Kindle and then try the menu one. You won't need to back up books bought off Amazon though as you can simply send those ones to your Kindle again without having to purchase them.
Offline andyjenk
08 Feb 2011, 07:39 PM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

I've seen warnings about installing 3.1 if you have hacked the software as you can't then remove the hacks. I found this to be a strange statement if you can restore to factory defauilts. The "power switch reset" doesn't remove the screensavers hack (I nprefer the term "Showoffs" as it is more accurate and descriptive on multiple levels
They show that the Kindle is off, show when the Kindle is off, and show off the Kindle's capabilities) Kindle Smile
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
22 Aug 2011, 06:35 PM | Post: #5

Official KUF Reviewer and Interrogator

Thanked 145 times

What I Read

I'm thinking of doing a factory reset as I'm still getting problems with accessing the internet with that "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable" error.

If it's a registry type problem will a factory reset sort it out?
Young hedgehogs need fattening up for winter now, so put some water and seeds out for them, they'll reward you with a calling card.  
While you are at it, water and feed the birds too. Thumbs Up And come and talk about it at GardenWildlifeUK
Offline andyjenk
22 Aug 2011, 11:42 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

(22 Aug 2011 06:35 PM)joo Wrote:  I'm thinking of doing a factory reset as I'm still getting problems with accessing the internet with that "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable" error.

If it's a registry type problem will a factory reset sort it out?

Joo, have you tried resetting by holding the power switch to the right for a SLOW count of 15? (Don't let go as soon as the screen changes). That seems to fix most problems.
If that doesn't solve it I'd get in touch with Customer Services for advice (it's free and they are very, very good!)
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
23 Aug 2011, 06:00 AM | Post: #7

Official KUF Reviewer and Interrogator

Thanked 145 times

What I Read

Yes I have tried that a few times but the error keeps returning.
Sometimes it is straight away and sometimes it's a bit longer
Young hedgehogs need fattening up for winter now, so put some water and seeds out for them, they'll reward you with a calling card.  
While you are at it, water and feed the birds too. Thumbs Up And come and talk about it at GardenWildlifeUK

Currently Reading:A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin Last Book I Read:A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin Favourite Genres:Fantasy / Crime / Historical Fiction
Currently Reading:The Painted Man Last Book I Read:Wolves On The Border Favourite Genres:Fantasy
Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations