Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Survey says readers buy more e-books because they're cheaper

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline leep
16 Oct 2014, 05:41 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 15 times

Survey says readers buy more e-books because they're cheaper

So says Mintel anyway: http://www.thebookseller.com...

"The consumer research firm's latest study, Books and e-Books UK 2014, shows that 26% of consumers who have bought an e-book in the last year are reading more than they used to because e-books cost less than paperbacks, a figure that rises to 38% of 16 to 24-year-olds."

Interestingly:

"Altogether, 31% of e-book buyers say they would prefer to read print books, but choose to buy e-books because they cost less."

Yet only:

"23% of book buyers said they felt that print books cost too much, only 16% of people felt the same about e-books"

Draw from that what you will.
[Image: 41b1WpC7L5L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41ibvqKEBFL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51XqLx%2BhxIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51g%2BiINoLAL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51bOIIJsknL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 6117LLScjrL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41H6AeNw4QL._SL95_.jpg]
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
16 Oct 2014, 08:47 PM | Post: #2

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

RE: Survey says readers buy more e-books because they're cheaper

I looked at a non-fiction book today: the Kindle edition was £12, the paperback was £20. Big name publisher (McGraw Hill). Didn't buy it.
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline Katherine Roberts Reading I keep forgetting to update this!
16 Oct 2014, 10:59 PM | Post: #3

young fantasy and legend/myth

Thanked 54 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 16 Oct 2014 10:59 PM by Katherine Roberts.
I'll buy the ebook if it is a lot cheaper than the print edition... but if only a pound or so cheaper, then I'll buy the paperback by choice.

I would not pay £12 for an ebook. Mind you, I wouldn't pay that for a paperback, either!
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
16 Oct 2014, 11:19 PM | Post: #4

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

Last year I bought a hardback because it was only 10p more than the Kindle edition!
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson Reading Haven't got a Kindle. A big pile of books.
17 Oct 2014, 07:51 PM | Post: #5

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 68 times

What I Read

No big surprise that people buy and read more because e-books are cheaper. But what does that say about libraries where you can read for free? Too much bother to go to the library every two weeks or so?
[Image: 51Jsj8BKT7L._SL95.jpg][Image: 61n%2BNqMHfRL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51tQNACHaQL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61YRPOlI-aL._SL95.jpg][Image: 516yhJDUG%2BL._SL95.jpg][Image: 615coUqLeML._SL95.jpg][Image: 51Ygt0kwwXL._SL95.jpg]
[Image: 616JvN8uAQL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Katherine Roberts Reading I keep forgetting to update this!
17 Oct 2014, 10:29 PM | Post: #6

young fantasy and legend/myth

Thanked 54 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 17 Oct 2014 10:32 PM by Katherine Roberts.
Our library is on the other side of town with no parking nearby except an expensive carpark. To get there, I need to negotiate traffic jams and a torturous one way system... books are heavy, so walking a mile to/from the library with a pile of them is not much fun these days, especially in the rain.

Another thing, which never used to bother me as a kid... I always feel library books are dirty. If they're a bit sticky, I don't enjoy reading them. And if I open one and find a stain of some sort inside, it makes me feel physically sick. Ebooks are cleaner! No bugs. Well, not the biological kind, anyway. OK, so I might have a phobia...? Undecided
Offline ElaineG Reading Standers by Dale Brumfield
18 Oct 2014, 05:49 AM | Post: #7

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 32 times

What I Read

And you have to remember to take the library books back again.
Offline davidwailing Reading
18 Oct 2014, 08:01 AM | Post: #8

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

As a kid, I was frequently in the libraries and the second-hand bookshops because they were the best places to get free and cheap books. But now they're not. It's easier to get them over the internet. And that in a nutshell is why bookstores and many other businesses are dying - the internet is easier.

Katherine, I have to agree that library books are grubby creatures. The last few times I borrowed some books, I gave them all a wipe with antibac before I read them!
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk
Offline cecilia_writer Reading Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox
18 Oct 2014, 08:40 AM | Post: #9

That Singular Anomaly the Lady Novelist

Thanked 232 times

What I Read

The last few times I borrowed books from the library I kept forgetting to take them back, so I was actually paying about as much in fines as I would have spent on Kindle books....
Offline skate Reading
18 Oct 2014, 09:16 AM | Post: #10

Dragon lady

Thanked 82 times

What I Read

Don't talk to me about grubby books. I work in a school library. How many times have I watched a kid sneeze on the way to the loans desk and they've used the book in their hands to cover their mouth, I've lost count. I've learned to be a frequent hand washer!
Kate Smile

[Image: 51%2BGUmuHNZL._SL160_.jpg]  [Image: 51YCbxnW97L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51zikidnNHL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51al4tl8wNL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51LHuK4mbxL._SL95.jpg] 

Enter a world of Fantasy for all ages!  www.katiewstewart.com
Add that final sparkle to your books Magic Owl Design

Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F
Currently Reading:I keep forgetting to update this! Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:fantasy, historical, science fiction, horses, YAFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Haven't got a Kindle. A big pile of books. Last Book I Read:Fiennders Abbey by Jean Marsh Favourite Genres:family saga, mystery, humour
Currently Reading:Standers by Dale Brumfield Last Book I Read:The Twelfth Child by Bette Lee Crosby Favourite Genres:Anything with a damn good story (apart from spy thrillers)!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Contemporary fiction, humour, mystery, thriller, SFFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue by MC Beaton Favourite Genres:Murder mystery; historicalFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read:The Element by Ken Robinson Favourite Genres:Fantasy, Historical, CrimeFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations