Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

KDP - promoting free book promotions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Ken Magee Reading Leaving Berlin by Joseph Kanon
16 Oct 2014, 04:07 PM | Post: #1

Reader & writer

Thanked 48 times

What I Read

KDP - promoting free book promotions

I'm trying a free eBook promotion for the first book of my trilogy. I started posting details to sites which list free eBooks e.g. Pixels of Ink, but realised there were too many to handle.

Does anyone know which listing sites are worth doing? Also, has anyone got any other advice about how to promote the promotion?

Thanks in anticipation.
What happens when ancient magic collides with the Internet? Find out at my website.
Offline Jonathan Hill
16 Oct 2014, 06:42 PM | Post: #2

Author

Thanked 401 times

What I Read

RE: KDP - promoting free book promotions

Hi Ken,

Free promos are a bit mixed nowadays. Less successful than in the good olden days! I found this useful when planning mine:
http://www.trainingauthors.com...

It takes a while to work through the lists but it can be worth it if you get featured.

Best of luck.

P.S. Have you submitted to IBB?
[Image: 51w2OgUyUJL._SL95.jpg]

A Surprise for Maureen - out now!

Offline E. M. Foner
16 Oct 2014, 06:49 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 3 times

PixelofInk is one of the best IF your book gets listed. I have no idea what their criteria are, though I suspect it has to do with timing. When you do a five day (or less) promotion and they list you as one of the six free picks of the day, you can expect a ton of downloads.

I currently have a book on perma-free status through price matching, so I've spent quite a bit of time looking for ways to promote it. For the U.S., I've seen solid results (hundreds of downloads) from three paid lists, between $20 and $30,  They were, Book Basset, Digital Book Today and Gallagher's list (graph attached).    
The first peak is Steve Weber's site, but I don't know if he has a submissions page. It seems to me that the PixelofInk promotions I did with another novel last year or the year before resulted in thousands of downloads,.

If you're working your way through somebody's blog post of places to list your book, you'll probably find that most of them no longer accept free submissions because of Amazon's policy change on Associates commission last year. And there are a lot of sites that accept submissions, both free and paid, that won't get you a single download.

E.M.
Offline Anna Faversham Reading
17 Oct 2014, 08:58 AM | Post: #4

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 276 times

What I Read

Hi, EM, that's really useful, thank you.
[Image: 515KxJNxTKL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 510QluvPbnL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 511DbLRLA5L._SL95.jpg]
Offline catherine chapman Reading Loosely Translated by Simon Hugh Wheeler
22 Oct 2014, 05:55 PM | Post: #5

Indie Author

Thanked 1 times

What I Read

Thanks for that Training Authors link, Jonathan - it's really useful.  I'm going to post it over at Goodreads, where people have been discussing free listings sites too.
Catherine
(16 Oct 2014 06:42 PM)Jonathan Hill Wrote: Wrote:  Hi Ken,

Free promos are a bit mixed nowadays. Less successful than in the good olden days! I found this useful when planning mine:
http://www.trainingauthors.com...

It takes a while to work through the lists but it can be worth it if you get featured.

Best of luck.

P.S. Have you submitted to IBB?
Offline Jonathan Hill
22 Oct 2014, 06:57 PM | Post: #6

Author

Thanked 401 times

What I Read

Pleasure, Catherine. Smile
[Image: 51w2OgUyUJL._SL95.jpg]

A Surprise for Maureen - out now!

Offline E. M. Foner
22 Oct 2014, 08:19 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 3 times

This post was last modified: 22 Oct 2014 08:26 PM by E. M. Foner.
Catherine,

Do you have a link for the Goodreads discussion?

Coincidentally, I got turned down this afternoon for a paid listing on ENT this morning, no memory of when I applied. They send a generic "didn't meet our guidelines" message, always a pleasant kick in the teeth to get one of those:-)

It seems to me that ENT (Ereader News Today) and BookBub are the two that turn down a lot of self publishers. Their guidelines don't really offer any help, unless you grew up in an autocratic state where the secret police pulled you in and tried to get you to accuse yourself of some sin, like poor cover design.

In another coincidence, I hired a cover designer to replace the covers on my series last night, he's currently reading the first book, and I'll probably get the new covers next week. For me, it's just an experiment, I'll stick his covers in and see if it affects sales for a week, and I'll try "applying" to BookBub, which has turned me down in the past. If it doesn't make any difference, I'll probably revert to my old covers.

The attraction of ENT and BookBub is that they run genre mailing lists, so you can promote to just your target audience. One of the dangers of promoting free books to the widest possible audience is you get readers who just give it a try, even though (fill in the blank) isn't their normal thing. So you open yourself to poor reviews from readers who would never consider a book in your genre unless it was free, and there's a reason for it.

If anybody knows of a good science fiction only mailing list, I'm all ears.

E. M.
Offline Kath Middleton Reading Hell, yes!
22 Oct 2014, 09:00 PM | Post: #8

Book Obsessive

Thanked 703 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 22 Oct 2014 09:01 PM by Kath Middleton.
https://www.goodreads.com...

Hope that works! I'm copy/pasting from my tablet and I'm not that nifty with it!

Edit - yep - that's the thread!
[Image: 51-o4ONEe4L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ex7iwZKuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ZbDrktmuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51F7dWY8IKL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
22 Oct 2014, 09:11 PM | Post: #9

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

ENT is the only promoter that has worked for me, and then only in a small way (but a profit is a profit, right?) I'm a long way off pulling the kinds of numbers that I'd need for a Bookbub (and there's no chance I could afford it).
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!

Currently Reading:Leaving Berlin by Joseph Kanon Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:fantasy, biographies, humour Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Various, not erotica, no more horrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Loosely Translated by Simon Hugh Wheeler Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:literature, drama, women's fiction
Currently Reading:Hell, yes! Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, crime, thriller, horror, a touch of sci-fiFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F