Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Help me choose a new Kindle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline lyndawrites Reading The Twopenny-Hat Detective by Brian Sellars
04 Oct 2014, 01:21 PM | Post: #1

Comma Abuser

Thanked 136 times

What I Read

Help me choose a new Kindle

My Kindle 4 is beginning to show its age ( a bit like me).  I love it to bits, but it's time to think of a replacement. However, it now appears that the new Kindle 4 is a touch screen - and I much prefer the page turn buttons which  allow me to use the device totally one-handed.

Is there still such a model? And if so, which one? All I can find on Amazon are the dratted touch screens.
[Image: 51WAa-2HmoL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51OHQsDRHwL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51fpdh2GGlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51hPHc37EWL._SL95.jpg]
Offline disleydog
04 Oct 2014, 03:43 PM | Post: #2

Thanked 13 times

RE: Help me choose a new Kindle

I have a kindle fire hd and find it's simple to read books one handed.holding in my right hand,a simple touch of the righthand side of the screen with my thumb turns pages easily.
Offline alexroddie Reading The Terror by Dan Simmons
04 Oct 2014, 04:14 PM | Post: #3

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

I'm pretty sure they're all touch screen now, Lynda — the K4 was the last one without a touch sensitive panel. However, the new premium Voyage model does have page turn buttons as well: http://www.theverge.com...
Offline disleydog
04 Oct 2014, 08:02 PM | Post: #4

Thanked 13 times

No it has not got buttons to turn the page ,it uses "page press" you squeeze it !!
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
04 Oct 2014, 08:56 PM | Post: #5

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

Being a touch screen hater (I just cannot use hubby's smartphone), I was dubious about changing from my beloved KK. Since getting my PW2, I only use my KK when I need automatic page turning. I don't miss the buttons at all. The touch screen is nice to use. My cover is a flip over one so I don't usually hold it, it is resting on my knee or the sofa arm.
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline lyndawrites Reading The Twopenny-Hat Detective by Brian Sellars
05 Oct 2014, 04:27 AM | Post: #6

Comma Abuser

Thanked 136 times

What I Read

Thanks Disley and Alex. I'd noticed that the Voyage had what looked like buttons - trust it to be the top of the range model and thus too expensive for me. Sad

Joo, I do most of my reading in bed and hold my Kindle in my right hand, turning pages with my right thumb. With both the forward/back buttons on the right hand side (as well as on the left) this is easy. On Sir's Touch, however, forward is on the right but back is on the left. I don't have that long a thumb! Big Grin (On Sir's touch I can do other things, of course, but that's not a fit topic for this thread. Big Grin Big Grin )

I shall soldier on with my Kindle Baby, and have to save hard , I suppose, if I want a new one.
[Image: 51WAa-2HmoL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51OHQsDRHwL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51fpdh2GGlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51hPHc37EWL._SL95.jpg]
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
05 Oct 2014, 09:11 AM | Post: #7

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

You can do a swipe where ever your thumb is to go forward or back.
Considering how many times you need to go back, is having to do a swipe that difficult? It only needs a little swipe.
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline Jonathan Hill
05 Oct 2014, 11:01 AM | Post: #8

Author

Thanked 401 times

What I Read

I read on my Paperwhite one-handed (no sniggering at the back there) for an hour yesterday and it was easy to turn the page by tapping the screen with my thumb. The screen isn't that far away from the border. I think the best thing you can do, Lynda, is to try the models out in store and see which you are most comfortable with.
[Image: 51w2OgUyUJL._SL95.jpg]

A Surprise for Maureen - out now!

Offline davidwailing Reading
05 Oct 2014, 11:25 AM | Post: #9

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

[snigger]
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk
Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
05 Oct 2014, 12:24 PM | Post: #10

Super Moderator

Thanked 163 times

What I Read

(05 Oct 2014 11:01 AM)Jonathan Hill Wrote: Wrote:  I read on my Paperwhite one-handed (no sniggering at the back there) for an hour yesterday and it was easy to turn the page by tapping the screen with my thumb. The screen isn't that far away from the border. I think the best thing you can do, Lynda, is to try the models out in store and see which you are most comfortable with.

Just remember it is not the mouth (or in this case the fingers) it comes out of, but the ears it goes into Jonathan, so that says a lot about David! Tongue
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up

Currently Reading:The Twopenny-Hat Detective by Brian Sellars Last Book I Read:Reunited in Death by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Mystery
Currently Reading:The Terror by Dan Simmons Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Historical fiction, literary classics, landscape writingFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Contemporary fiction, humour, mystery, thriller, SFFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard Last Book I Read:To the Grave by Steve Robinson Favourite Genres:I don't mind, as long as it's good!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations