Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

New Kindle device leaked

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline alexroddie Reading The Terror by Dan Simmons
17 Sep 2014, 11:45 AM | Post: #1

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

New Kindle device leaked

This post was last modified: 17 Sep 2014 12:15 PM by alexroddie.
Interesting details on the Verge:
http://www.theverge.com...
Personally, I preferred the actual buttons on the Kindle 4 for turning the page. A "page press sensor" sounds like over-engineering for the sake of coolness if you ask me.
Offline davidwailing Reading
17 Sep 2014, 12:08 PM | Post: #2

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

RE: New Kindle device leaked

Thanks for the heads-up, Alex. Very interesting stuff, if it's true. Curious what 'intelligent front lighting' might be... responding to the ambient light in the room and automatically adjusting?

I also prefer the Kindle 4 buttons. As nice as the Paperwhite looks, I was never tempted to upgrade because I wasn't keen on touching the screen to turn the page. If the Kindle Voyage has something in the same place as a button, but is less buttony and more sensory (excuse my technical terminology), that might work well for my preferences. Or, as you say, it might be gimmicky nonsense.
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk
17 Sep 2014, 01:04 PM | Post: #3

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

It's curious, really. When I started using a Kindle I was resolute that buttons were better and that I'd never use a touchscreen-based ereader, but actually I find myself reading on a tablet 90% of the time these days. My Kindle 4 has been relegated to a backpacking / mountaineering device (due to its exceptional battery life and usability outdoors). For my uses a tablet actually works well for reading books the rest of the time.

In my view, the most significant thing in the leak is actually the rumoured 300dpi display. Regular Kindle screens are actually pretty grainy (although the custom typography helps readability) and have relatively poor contrast. Just imagine how good a Kindle screen would look if it was as sharp and clear as a page in a paperback book. I'm also hoping for much faster e-ink refresh rates.
Offline Santos Reading
17 Sep 2014, 01:09 PM | Post: #4

0100 1000 0100 1001

Thanked 3 times

What I Read

Getting rid of the buttons is not necessarily a gimmick. And calling the new solution a 'feature' is just good PR.
In the end, the cost of a multi sectioned plastic moulding + buttons + mechanical switches inside the unit all adds up to unnecessary cost.
The tech to do what this describes has been out for decades, so incorporating it into the design is just good business.

Having said that, i have no intention of upgrading unless my current kindle dies on me. Reading Kindle
[Image: 514wiIVOdxL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51p21uRZPVL._SL95.jpg]

“Believe what you wish, but know that your perception of reality does not change the reality of existence.”
   - Drake Ocoji (Shadow Core - The Legacy)
17 Sep 2014, 01:45 PM | Post: #5

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

I'm all for making changes if it both reduces complexity and improves the user experience, but sadly with consumer technology that isn't always the case. I guess we'll have to see!
Offline Kath Middleton Reading Hell, yes!
17 Sep 2014, 02:04 PM | Post: #6

Book Obsessive

Thanked 703 times

What I Read

It's lads' stuff, this. I read the title and wondered which bit of it leaked. Smile
[Image: 51-o4ONEe4L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ex7iwZKuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ZbDrktmuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51F7dWY8IKL._SL95.jpg]
Offline skate Reading
17 Sep 2014, 02:55 PM | Post: #7

Dragon lady

Thanked 82 times

What I Read

(17 Sep 2014 02:04 PM)Ignite Wrote: Wrote:  It's lads' stuff, this. I read the title and wondered which bit of it leaked. Smile
Yes, messy things Kindles, when they leak. Words and loose letters everywhere!
Kate Smile

[Image: 51%2BGUmuHNZL._SL160_.jpg]  [Image: 51YCbxnW97L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51zikidnNHL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51al4tl8wNL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51LHuK4mbxL._SL95.jpg] 

Enter a world of Fantasy for all ages!  www.katiewstewart.com
Add that final sparkle to your books Magic Owl Design
Offline Kath Middleton Reading Hell, yes!
17 Sep 2014, 02:57 PM | Post: #8

Book Obsessive

Thanked 703 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 17 Sep 2014 04:32 PM by Kath Middleton.
I thought it would be about trying to get the e-stains from surplus e-ink off your fingers.
[Image: 51-o4ONEe4L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ex7iwZKuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ZbDrktmuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51F7dWY8IKL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
17 Sep 2014, 04:21 PM | Post: #9

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

Just put it in the dishwasher with the iPad - the stains'll come out, no trouble.

http://youtu.be/1hOVNiLC6xM
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
17 Sep 2014, 04:23 PM | Post: #10

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

Currently Reading:The Terror by Dan Simmons Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Historical fiction, literary classics, landscape writingFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Contemporary fiction, humour, mystery, thriller, SFFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Science Fiction
Currently Reading:Hell, yes! Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, crime, thriller, horror, a touch of sci-fiFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read:The Element by Ken Robinson Favourite Genres:Fantasy, Historical, CrimeFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F