Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Pre-ordering is here!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Rosen Trevithick Reading
14 Aug 2014, 10:22 PM | Post: #1

Totally Splendid Hotshot Author

Thanked 278 times

What I Read

Pre-ordering is here!

Amazon will allow self-published authors to make our books available for pre-order up to 90 days before we publish.
I'm delighted with this news.
[Image: 51we%2BNvX2aL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51dlN%2BeBifL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51Y3bTpE8eL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51gmgMPfnBL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51qdNKyGE9L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 61TE0dQyxjL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51Fbvd7KyWL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51YepJnT-dL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
14 Aug 2014, 11:06 PM | Post: #2

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

RE: Pre-ordering is here!

Yay! (just after my book came out, but I'll make use of it for the next one, for sure)
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline leep
15 Aug 2014, 06:07 AM | Post: #3

Thanked 15 times

About time (never understood why publishers could it but not the rest of us).

From the email Amazon sent:

"We're excited to announce that you can now make your new books available for pre-order in Kindle Stores worldwide. With a few quick and easy steps you can create a pre-order page up to 90 days in advance of your book's release date--your pre-order product page will be created within 24 hours. When you make your book available for pre-order, customers can order the book anytime leading up to the release date you set. We will deliver it to them on that date.

One advantage of using pre-order is that you can start promoting your Kindle book pre-order page on Author Central, Goodreads, your personal website, and other places ahead of its release to help build excitement for your book. Also, pre-orders will contribute toward sales rank and other Kindle Store merchandising ahead of release, which can help more readers discover your book.

Visit your KDP Bookshelf to set up your new book for pre-order."
[Image: 41b1WpC7L5L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41ibvqKEBFL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51XqLx%2BhxIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51g%2BiINoLAL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51bOIIJsknL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 6117LLScjrL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41H6AeNw4QL._SL95_.jpg]
Offline lyndawrites Reading The Twopenny-Hat Detective by Brian Sellars
15 Aug 2014, 06:47 AM | Post: #4

Comma Abuser

Thanked 136 times

What I Read

Not sure about this. If I'm reading it correctly:

1 You must upload the final version of your file 10 days prior to launch

2 Any pre-orders count towards sales and rankings prior to launch. So there goes your big launch day effect, smoothing out any sales and ranking boost you might have got.

I'll see how it pans out before rushing into this, methinks.
[Image: 51WAa-2HmoL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51OHQsDRHwL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51fpdh2GGlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51hPHc37EWL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Jennie Lee Reading Course notes for Pilates Teacher Training
15 Aug 2014, 07:14 AM | Post: #5

Aussie Kiwi

Thanked 156 times

What I Read

It would probably work for authors with a well-established fan base. I'm more your sneak-up-on-potential-readers kind of publisher.
Jennie's Website

[Image: 51XG2UNKzFL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51odD7YudkL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61wVrKkiTaL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61071hCtWXL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51IlO6c3bpL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61KsWLjj9rL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51hyuXTcVUL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41J-kkf3cQL._SL95.jpg]
Breathe, Relax, Read.
15 Aug 2014, 07:50 AM | Post: #6

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

One advantage is that if you have launch day advertising booked (like I do with Hunted), you don't have to sneak the book out early just to get an ASIN to give to the advertiser. But yes, it'll give you earlier visibility at the expense of day 1 ranking. Which may or may not be a benefit.
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Offline alexroddie Reading The Terror by Dan Simmons
15 Aug 2014, 08:01 AM | Post: #7

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

(15 Aug 2014 06:47 AM)lyndawrites Wrote: Wrote:  Not sure about this. If I'm reading it correctly:

1 You must upload the final version of your file 10 days prior to launch

2 Any pre-orders count towards sales and rankings prior to launch. So there goes your big launch day effect, smoothing out any sales and ranking boost you might have got.

I'll see how it pans out before rushing into this, methinks.
Actually, in my opinion this will be of enormous benefit because it will enhance a "slow launch" by automating certain tasks. David Gaughran advocates the slow launch tactic, rather than hitting it with everything you've got on day one (which can result in a rapid slide back down the charts). I tried it out for my last book launch and it seemed to work quite well.
15 Aug 2014, 08:23 AM | Post: #8

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

Another benefit if your books are part of a series, is that readers will see the next book is on the way and that might make them more inclined to buy the earlier ones. Possibly.
Offline alexroddie Reading The Terror by Dan Simmons
15 Aug 2014, 08:29 AM | Post: #9

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

(15 Aug 2014 08:23 AM)Tim_A Wrote: Wrote:  Another benefit if your books are part of a series, is that readers will see the next book is on the way and that might make them more inclined to buy the earlier ones. Possibly.
Plus it has the potential to generate a lot of buzz on launch day, because everyone who has pre-ordered will (presumably) all get their books at the same time. I'm seeing a lot to like here so far.
Offline AKMichaels Reading Sixkill by Robert B Parker
15 Aug 2014, 09:18 AM | Post: #10

Vampire Queen

Thanked 67 times

What I Read

Yup, I'm excited! Especially as I've two coming up lol. Have uploaded one and submitted for pre-order and will do second in next few days. Def a good thing in my mind.
[Image: 51GicbIjZuL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51KZfZxxSEL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41q1ivvoYZL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41q%2B7DLowsL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51HaRcFLiDL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41luO%2BUt3yL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41ESYbqaeFL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41VaeH6v8IL._SL95.jpg]

Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Comedy; Crime, thrillers and mysteryFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F
Currently Reading:The Twopenny-Hat Detective by Brian Sellars Last Book I Read:Reunited in Death by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Mystery
Currently Reading:Course notes for Pilates Teacher Training Last Book I Read:Tell Me I'm Here - Anne Deveson Favourite Genres:Historical, mystery, suspense, drama, romance
Currently Reading:The Terror by Dan Simmons Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Historical fiction, literary classics, landscape writingFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Sixkill by Robert B Parker Last Book I Read:Cleaver Square by Sean and Dan Campbell Favourite Genres:Fantasy and Sci FiFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations