Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

£20 off Paperwhites! Q. is there a new P/W on the horizon?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline tao
18 Jul 2014, 06:10 PM | Post: #1

To old to give a hoot!

Thanked 15 times

What I Read

£20 off Paperwhites! Q. is there a new P/W on the horizon?

Just noticed Amazon discounting both P/W's by £20! Is there a new model about to be announced?Thumbs Up
£250-£500 per month totally risk free! tao does it!!!  http://bonusbagging.co.uk/r/bb13802
Offline Lynda
22 Jul 2014, 05:44 AM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

RE: £20 off Paperwhites! Q. is there a new P/W on the horizon?

Oh I hope so!!!
Offline tao
22 Jul 2014, 11:59 AM | Post: #3

To old to give a hoot!

Thanked 15 times

What I Read

I've had my KK for 3 years this coming September and decided Sunday to take advantage of the £20 off so ordered along with a flip cover that will put it to sleep and wake it up. Later that evening Mrs tao and I were enjoying a glass of wine on the patio when she said I'll buy you the kindle for your birthday. Its due to arrive in a couple of days and today I took advantage of Endeavours historical fiction offer and lo.... Amazon asked me do I want to download to 'my kindle 3'?!!! Amazed to say the least, it hasn't been delivered and already it's got a book on it. Will I miss my KK? We'll see, either way it will be kept safe and used as a standby.Thumbs Up
£250-£500 per month totally risk free! tao does it!!!  http://bonusbagging.co.uk/r/bb13802
Offline Daphne Reading Wanted by Tim Arnot
22 Jul 2014, 12:16 PM | Post: #4

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

I will get excited if a new model has text-to-speech. My Kindle 2 International is, sadly, no more. And I cannot find a Kindle (other than the Fire) with text-to-speech.
[Image: 51F7xHVzRlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51elwZ0zy4L._SL95.jpg]
Daphne Coleridge | Twitter
Offline alexroddie Reading The Terror by Dan Simmons
22 Jul 2014, 04:00 PM | Post: #5

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

I'm starting to wonder if Amazon intends to kill off their e-ink readers. The signs are all there as tablets continue to erode their presence, and historically speaking single-use devices tend to get devoured by multiple-purpose ones. I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if the e-ink Kindles don't last more than a couple of years.
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
22 Jul 2014, 06:05 PM | Post: #6

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

I doubt it - unless they come up with an LCD / OLED technology that can compete with eInk for outdoor use and longevity at a reasonable price.
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline tao
22 Jul 2014, 07:11 PM | Post: #7

To old to give a hoot!

Thanked 15 times

What I Read

(22 Jul 2014 06:05 PM)Tim_A Wrote: Wrote:  I doubt it - unless they come up with an LCD / OLED technology that can compete with eInk for outdoor use and longevity at a reasonable price.
Mm, tend to agree young Tim, I've been using my tablet continuous for over a year but really struggle to read outside which is where I spend most time in good weather days. Hence my decision to go for the P/W ( aside the £20 off! ) that has much clearer reading font similar to the N7, only problem is the constant recharging every other day.
Offline Simon_P
22 Jul 2014, 07:56 PM | Post: #8

Thanked 2 times

Why is the battery life so useless on the Paperwhite? One of the selling points of the Kindle Keyboard when it came out was that its battery lasts longer than any phone, any tablet, you name it. Weeks and weeks between charges. I realise the Paperwhite emits light too but that should have been balanced by giving it usable battery life.
[Image: 515hiFSu2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51x19K1dGtL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51sE%2BIqaTtL._SL95.jpg]
Immerse yourself in the world of the mermaids...
Offline Ray Kingfisher Reading No, Writing.
22 Jul 2014, 08:28 PM | Post: #9

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 120 times

What I Read

I seem to remember complaints that on the p/w you couldn't actually switch the light off. Perhaps a correction to this fault? Or a more efficient light or bigger battery?
[Image: 51y5K6eT-IL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 41Sbp8zGoPL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51-U1w3xnrL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51N1yXKzonL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 512YvYLa3-L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51LT3qz-%2BzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51ka%2BBWFFYL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51leGk78ZOL._SL95.jpg]

www.raykingfisher.com
Offline alexroddie Reading The Terror by Dan Simmons
23 Jul 2014, 09:47 AM | Post: #10

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

(22 Jul 2014 06:05 PM)Tim_A Wrote: Wrote:  I doubt it - unless they come up with an LCD / OLED technology that can compete with eInk for outdoor use and longevity at a reasonable price.
I agree, these are potent selling points and are both reasons why I keep my Kindle 4. I just wonder how long Amazon will decide these USPs are worth keeping in favour of (potentially more profitable) Fire devices that can run apps and play other media sold by Amazon. I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon plans on merging the e-ink and Fire lines as soon as the necessary technology is there.

I doubt they'll discontinue the e-ink Kindles imminently, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see fewer refreshes of the product line over the next couple of years.

Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Wanted by Tim Arnot Last Book I Read:I Like You For Murder: Emily Nemchick Favourite Genres:Eclectic ReaderFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Terror by Dan Simmons Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Historical fiction, literary classics, landscape writingFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F
Currently Reading:No, Writing. Last Book I Read:Celluloid - Holly Curtis Favourite Genres:comedy, heavy emotional drama.Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations