Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

The Fire Phone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline leep
19 Jun 2014, 06:25 AM | Post: #1

Thanked 15 times

The Fire Phone

This post was last modified: 19 Jun 2014 06:26 AM by leep.
So, Amazon have launched a phone.

It's an Android phone with some unique features:
  • Firefly app that recognises images and sound and allows you to buy whatever it identifies (on Amazon) (or at least that's what it's meant to do)
  • Four forward-facing cameras to track head movement and allow 3D visuals and gestures
  • Mayday, similar to the tablets

Not released until late July, in the US, and only on one network.
[Image: 41b1WpC7L5L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41ibvqKEBFL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51XqLx%2BhxIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51g%2BiINoLAL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51bOIIJsknL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 6117LLScjrL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41H6AeNw4QL._SL95_.jpg]
Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
19 Jun 2014, 07:15 AM | Post: #2

Super Moderator

Thanked 163 times

What I Read

RE: The Fire Phone

Gone are the days when a mobile phone was just to contact someone in an emergency and actually speak to them, nowadays they do everything except cook the dinner! I can remember the size of the first phones, you would never pop them in your pocket, they were like bricks! Smile
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up
Offline davidwailing Reading
19 Jun 2014, 08:24 AM | Post: #3

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

I think the Amazon Fire Phone has some serious potential to change how other smartphones operate. The key element is the Firefly function which allows you to basically point it at something and then buy it on Amazon.

This is making good use of what is clunkily called 'the internet of things', which is where we are evolving towards: where everything in the real world has an online presence or equivalent. People already go into (for example) bookstores, snap a picture of something they like, then buy it online later. This enables people to walk past something and buy it instantly!

From here it's not a huge step until things are bought for you automatically, based on your tastes and history. Hmm, someone should write a book about that...  Tongue
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk
Offline I ♥ my Kindle Reading Sraship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein
19 Jun 2014, 10:05 AM | Post: #4

BookWorm

Thanked 22 times

What I Read

Good for Amazon anyway Tongue
A very consumerist society. It is getting harder to step back from all the bombardment of advertising, selling, and now Amazon are making it even easier for themselves.

Automatic buying! EEK! imagine that!
I've been looking for a new bag/wallet, I've looked at what seems like hundreds, haven't bought any because the prices are just a bit beyond what I want to pay (amazon have such screwy pricing sometimes, more up and downs than a yoyo.) If there was automatic buying I could open my own shop Smile

Though I guess it could be implemented that if X was being sold at £Y, then there could be an autobuy function. I wonder if that would lead to people setting their own prices for things?

I suppose I am a bit blinkered with the phone thing, and see it in a similar light to the tablet (which I did nearly buy), in that it is a vehicle for Amazon to garner more sales. Be it physical items, or digital content, mp3s, apps etc.

The 3d side of things is still a bit gimmicky (says the person with a 3d projector, tv and pc monitors!).
Offline alexroddie Reading The Terror by Dan Simmons
19 Jun 2014, 03:44 PM | Post: #5

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 19 Jun 2014 03:45 PM by alexroddie.
(19 Jun 2014 06:25 AM)leep Wrote: Wrote:  So, Amazon have launched a phone.

It's an Android phone with some unique features:
  • Firefly app that recognises images and sound and allows you to buy whatever it identifies (on Amazon) (or at least that's what it's meant to do)
  • Four forward-facing cameras to track head movement and allow 3D visuals and gestures
  • Mayday, similar to the tablets

Not released until late July, in the US, and only on one network.
Innovative, but I think it will epically flop.
1. Monstrously expensive
2. On one network only
3. Relatively mediocre specs in a very spec-driven market
4. No innovation on Kindle features whatsoever
5. No Play Store access

Basically, they're trying to compete with Apple and Samsung on their own turf, far too late in the game to make much of an impact on deeply entrenched markets and consumer loyalties. There's some interesting technology in the Firefly concept and the display but I don't think it will see mainstream adoption until Apple and Google rip it off and claim it for their own. The smartphone market is harsh!

Currently Reading:The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard Last Book I Read:To the Grave by Steve Robinson Favourite Genres:I don't mind, as long as it's good!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Contemporary fiction, humour, mystery, thriller, SFFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Sraship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein Last Book I Read:Devil's Advocate by Jonathan Maberry Favourite Genres:Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, True CrimeFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Terror by Dan Simmons Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Historical fiction, literary classics, landscape writingFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations