Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

We found a Kindle!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline ElaineG Reading Standers by Dale Brumfield
26 Apr 2014, 06:11 PM | Post: #1

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 32 times

What I Read

We found a Kindle!

Well, to cut a long story short, hubby brings home a kindle that was put in lost property and, rather than just leave it there for someone to pinch, he brought it home to see if we could trace who had lost it. Turned it on, and whoever has lost it didn't put any personal information like a phone number in the personal info bit in Settings. So, we don't know who it belongs to, although we know the name of the owner and what books he has on it. It is a .com registered one and I think possibly from the US, judging by the Lonely Planet Europe book he has on it. I have deregistered it, purely for the owner's peace of mind, and emailed amazon.com with the serial number to say I have it, and asked them nicely if they could email the owner and let him know it is safe. I don't know what else I can do really, but hopefully they will email him and we can sort it out.

The moral of the story is though - please put a phone number or an email contact in that personal info section in Settings - if this person had done that we could have emailed him and set his mind at rest already.
Offline nigel p bird Reading
26 Apr 2014, 06:59 PM | Post: #2

Posting Freak

Thanked 20 times

What I Read

RE: We found a Kindle!

Nice of you to try - hope you track the owner down. The settings thing, I've never heard of it, so I'm very grateful for the nudge.

Thanks.
Thanks,

nigel

The Shallows
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
26 Apr 2014, 08:40 PM | Post: #3

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

On mine in the personal info bit I have written "If you find this I will be really missing it, so please email me at joo"
I hope someone like Elaine would find it.
Hedgehogs rock.
26 Apr 2014, 09:42 PM | Post: #4

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 32 times

What I Read

Amazon emailed me back, they won't give me the owner's email and they won't give the owner my information. So looks like we are stymied. They said to give to lost and found, the police or a recycling point. We are going to hang on to it for now, and my hubby will keep an ear out for anyone trying to claim it at work. Not much we can do it seems.
Offline Baggins Reading Diary of a Witchcraft Shop by Liz Williams
27 Apr 2014, 02:09 AM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Thumbs Up RE: We found a Kindle!

(26 Apr 2014 09:42 PM)ElaineG Wrote: Wrote:  Amazon emailed me back, they won't give me the owner's email and they won't give the owner my information. So looks like we are stymied. They said to give to lost and found, the police or a recycling point. We are going to hang on to it for now, and my hubby will keep an ear out for anyone trying to claim it at work. Not much we can do it seems.
If only everyone was as genuine and thoughtful Elaine, sadly we are in a crazy world with rules like "data protection" and I imagine this is why they wont give any details out (to you as a finder or the poor looser). On the other hand the government seem intent on selling off our medical records, tax records and anything else left that Thatcher didnt sell off in her days. Sorry for the brief moan, hope you get some sense & find the owner. If not then enjoy your new Kindle
Stonewylde..... There's no escape
Offline Phil Reading The Lost Empress by Steve Robinson
27 Apr 2014, 05:17 AM | Post: #6

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 9 times

What I Read

I understand why Amazon won't give out any personal details, but I don't understand why they can not simply act as an intermediary and contact the owner on your behalf asking for permission to pass on their address so you can return it to them Sad 
Well done on trying to do the right thing, if I ever loose my kindle I hope its someone like you who finds it Smile
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
27 Apr 2014, 07:24 AM | Post: #7

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

They could have emailed you an address label to send it back to them; they could then have forwarded it to the owner. That would have been the "customer-centric" thing to do. Perhaps you should forward the reply to Steve Besos and add a question mark to the end...
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
27 Apr 2014, 07:40 AM | Post: #8

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 32 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 27 Apr 2014 07:49 AM by ElaineG.
(27 Apr 2014 07:24 AM)Tim_A Wrote: Wrote:  They could have emailed you an address label to send it back to them; they could then have forwarded it to the owner. That would have been the "customer-centric" thing to do. Perhaps you should forward the reply to Steve Besos and add a question mark to the end...
that is a good idea!
Email to the top man sent Smile
Althought I called him Jeff, I didn't think calling him Steve would go down a treat LOL
Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
27 Apr 2014, 08:09 AM | Post: #9

Super Moderator

Thanked 163 times

What I Read

(27 Apr 2014 07:24 AM)Tim_A Wrote:  They could have emailed you an address label to send it back to them; they could then have forwarded it to the owner. That would have been the "customer-centric" thing to do. Perhaps you should forward the reply to Steve Besos and add a question mark to the end...

Exactly, that was what I was thinking Tim. In these days of tracking parcels, you could easily have returned it to Amazon and they send it out to the owner. Call me cynical, but they probably prefer the owner to buy a new Kindle thus making Amazon some money. Sad
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up
27 Apr 2014, 08:15 AM | Post: #10

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 32 times

What I Read

I think it is actually a new kindle to be honest. There are only about half a dozen books on it, they are not in collections, and the person still has welcome emails from Amazon on his front page. I bet he is absolutely kicking himself now.

Currently Reading:Standers by Dale Brumfield Last Book I Read:The Twelfth Child by Bette Lee Crosby Favourite Genres:Anything with a damn good story (apart from spy thrillers)!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:crime, noir, hard-boiledFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Diary of a Witchcraft Shop by Liz Williams Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Lost Empress by Steve Robinson Last Book I Read:The Great Train Robber by Chris Darnell Favourite Genres:Thrillers / CrimeFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F
Currently Reading:The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard Last Book I Read:To the Grave by Steve Robinson Favourite Genres:I don't mind, as long as it's good!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations