Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Hacked off with Kindle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline JimmyMac
30 Dec 2013, 03:11 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

Hacked off with Kindle

This post was last modified: 30 Dec 2013 03:18 PM by JimmyMac.
I've been a Kindle user for about two years and have bought around 40 e-books through Amazon. Last week my out-of-warranty Kindle stopped displaying the bottom 2 cm of text thus rendering it impossible to continue reading a partly-read novel. I contacted Kindle and explained the problem to an operative on the 'phone. To sum up the response, they won't repair it, I'll just have to buy another one. I was then sent a list of reconditioned Kindles with some money knocked off and that was that. Now, compare that response with Apple. When my out-of-warranty iPod suffered a screen problem  some years ago I was advised to return it to a repair centre in Ireland. It was fixed and returned to me within ten days at a nominal cost. Result: one happy iPod user with plenty of life left in the machine. I am really hacked off with the Kindle attitude, it just encourages more electrical waste. Well I am seriously considering NOT buying another Kindle, I'm looking at a Kobo. Trouble is, I don't know if my 'library' of e-books can only be retrieved on a Kindle. I've bought these books and I ought to be able to read them on any machine I choose. Anyone else find themselves in a similar position?
---
Offline ElaineG Reading Standers by Dale Brumfield
30 Dec 2013, 03:38 PM | Post: #2

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 32 times

What I Read

RE: Hacked off with Kindle

When you bought it, it was probably with a 12 month warranty although there is, as far as I can remember, the option to take out extra warranty, if you didn't do that, and purchased it knowing it was with a 12 month warranty, then you really don't have a leg to stand on, especially after 2 years. Having said that, the cost of the normal kindle is cheaper now anyway, only£69 now, so not too expensive to replace. Go for a kobo by all means, but you won't be able to transfer your existing books onto it. Also, it is worth noting you haven't bought "the book", only the licence to read the book on your kindle app, or on a tablet or other device with a kindle reading app on it. My kindle is two years old in a couple of weeks, and to be honest, if it breaks after that - I shall just buy a new one. I certainly wouldn't expect anything from Amazon that I am not entitled to.
Offline nikihb Reading
30 Dec 2013, 04:36 PM | Post: #3

Official KUF eBook Reviewer

Thanked 2 times

What I Read

I have to agree with above..... would you expect any other retailer to replace/repair a product after it's guarantee. Apple are the only company that I know of that will offer such a service. They are the definitely not the norm though.
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
30 Dec 2013, 04:57 PM | Post: #4

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

If you paid Apple prices for your Kindle, then maybe you could reasonably expect Apple service. But Kindle prices are dirt cheap - less than the actual cost of manufacture by some accounts. I think the offer of a cheap refurb was quite reasonable, considering the device was at least a year out of warranty.
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline Campbell
30 Dec 2013, 05:38 PM | Post: #5

Half an author

Thanked 120 times

What I Read

It's worth sending Amazon another email. While the manufacturer guarantee may have expired, it doesn't mean you have no legal rights. Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, you have a right to a repair or refund for faulty goods for as long as it would be reasonable to expect those goods to last. Kindles have been subject to some fault issues in the past - they were on Watchdog last year (http://www.bbc.co.uk...). There's a decent guide to SOGA (and EU law) on Money Saving Expert, but try asking Amazon nicely - they're in the customer service business, and a firm email is often enough to get them to help out.
[Image: 51YPll8aSYL._SL95.jpg][Image: 511Oot9VglL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51uI-baUdXL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ywvzwaQmL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ieTL%2BUsNL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51WbQpEWcYL._SL95.jpg]
Offline LexiRevellian Reading A book which I have forgotten to add here
30 Dec 2013, 06:04 PM | Post: #6

Keen kuffer

Thanked 71 times

What I Read

I think it's a grey area. I remember buying a Dualit kettle, which conked out just after a year. I'd paid £75, and the cheap plastic kettle it replaced had lasted fourteen years. I told them that surely they expected their kettles to last for more than a year, and in the end they replaced it.

The shop I bought it from was impressed - the man said he'd never known anyone get anything out of Dualit, which is why he hadn't replaced it for me.

I think it also depends how much use your Kindle has had, and if you've looked after it.
Lexi
website
[/url] [Image: 51WwAD9NMtL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51da-%2BYkhRL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iBX4NnxoL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41UMQk6bFIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51qTzauJb7L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51tzp0Z0gmL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51gPJw7MmjL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 611cl4LH%2BqL._SL95.jpg]
Offline potty1958
30 Dec 2013, 07:30 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

Don't listen to word they say just be persistent about your kindle fault i have now had 3 changed all out of warranty my last replacement was for a different version only received 31st august the screen froze advised no  warranty again on replacements stated sales of goods act must be fit for purpose and they are once again changing it don't be fobbed off by them hold your ground. they know there are problems with them they always first quote a replacement price stating not covered this is rubbish they know that they have to change them free of charge then they say it's a one time only deal to cover themselves stick up for your rights as a consumer quoting the sale of goods act works wonders most of the time this is my first ever post and i just hope it will help other people
---
Offline Kazzaa67
31 Dec 2013, 11:53 AM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

(30 Dec 2013 03:11 PM)JimmyMac Wrote: Wrote:  I've been a Kindle user for about two years and have bought around 40 e-books through Amazon. Last week my out-of-warranty Kindle stopped displaying the bottom 2 cm of text thus rendering it impossible to continue reading a partly-read novel. I contacted Kindle and explained the problem to an operative on the 'phone. To sum up the response, they won't repair it, I'll just have to buy another one. I was then sent a list of reconditioned Kindles with some money knocked off and that was that. Now, compare that response with Apple. When my out-of-warranty iPod suffered a screen problem  some years ago I was advised to return it to a repair centre in Ireland. It was fixed and returned to me within ten days at a nominal cost. Result: one happy iPod user with plenty of life left in the machine. I am really hacked off with the Kindle attitude, it just encourages more electrical waste. Well I am seriously considering NOT buying another Kindle, I'm looking at a Kobo. Trouble is, I don't know if my 'library' of e-books can only be retrieved on a Kindle. I've bought these books and I ought to be able to read them on any machine I choose. Anyone else find themselves in a similar position?

I don't own an actual Kindle but have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 instead.  I also own an Archos 10.1 and a Samsung S3 mobile.  All of the books I downloaded to my Archos (the first gadget I bought) were then available on my S3 phone and are now available on my new Tab 3.  I just needed to register the new devices and as a result I can read all of the books I've downloaded on any of the three devices I own.  I love my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 - it's available in Sainsbury's at the moment at £99 and it fab - just download the Kindle app from the appstore and your up and running for reading your books. I considered the Kindle Fire but chose the Samsung as I can tether it to my mobile and have wifi on the move - plus it's got an SD card slot to expand the memory. Hope that helps.
---
Offline l_macd
31 Dec 2013, 12:58 PM | Post: #9

Thanked 11 times

Just be aware that if you buy a Kobo, if its out of warranty they not only won't offer to repair or replace it, but they also won't make any offer to sell you refurbished model at a discounted price, it's only Amazon who will do that for e-readers.

As already suggested, if it's not faulty due to screen damage but just a general fault, you do have the option of pursuing a replacement due to it being in your opinion, not fit for purpose, or lasting an expected amount of time, under the Sale of Goods act.
Offline potty1958
01 Jan 2014, 10:52 AM | Post: #10

Thanked 0 times

(31 Dec 2013 11:53 AM)Kazzaa67 Wrote: Wrote:  
(30 Dec 2013 03:11 PM)JimmyMac Wrote: Wrote:  I've been a Kindle user for about two years and have bought around 40 e-books through Amazon. Last week my out-of-warranty Kindle stopped displaying the bottom 2 cm of text thus rendering it impossible to continue reading a partly-read novel. I contacted Kindle and explained the problem to an operative on the 'phone. To sum up the response, they won't repair it, I'll just have to buy another one. I was then sent a list of reconditioned Kindles with some money knocked off and that was that. Now, compare that response with Apple. When my out-of-warranty iPod suffered a screen problem  some years ago I was advised to return it to a repair centre in Ireland. It was fixed and returned to me within ten days at a nominal cost. Result: one happy iPod user with plenty of life left in the machine. I am really hacked off with the Kindle attitude, it just encourages more electrical waste. Well I am seriously considering NOT buying another Kindle, I'm looking at a Kobo. Trouble is, I don't know if my 'library' of e-books can only be retrieved on a Kindle. I've bought these books and I ought to be able to read them on any machine I choose. Anyone else find themselves in a similar position?

I don't own an actual Kindle but have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 instead.  I also own an Archos 10.1 and a Samsung S3 mobile.  All of the books I downloaded to my Archos (the first gadget I bought) were then available on my S3 phone and are now available on my new Tab 3.  I just needed to register the new devices and as a result I can read all of the books I've downloaded on any of the three devices I own.  I love my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 - it's available in Sainsbury's at the moment at £99 and it fab - just download the Kindle app from the appstore and your up and running for reading your books. I considered the Kindle Fire but chose the Samsung as I can tether it to my mobile and have wifi on the move - plus it's got an SD card slot to expand the memory. Hope that helps.
if you haven't already accepted there offer there is is a good chance that they will change it free of charge don't be fobbed off ask to speak to a supervisor handled correctly but firmly they will change it for free i have even had my leather case replaced free cost £30 because the had to send out a different model that was smaller than my original.
---

Currently Reading:Standers by Dale Brumfield Last Book I Read:The Twelfth Child by Bette Lee Crosby Favourite Genres:Anything with a damn good story (apart from spy thrillers)!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Biography, Chick Lit, HistoryFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:A book which I have forgotten to add here Last Book I Read:Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child Favourite Genres:Commercial FictionFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations