Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

New Kindle, But which one?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Baggins Reading Diary of a Witchcraft Shop by Liz Williams
22 Dec 2013, 01:13 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

New Kindle, But which one?

Hi Everyone
Happy Christmas to you all, enjoy your reading time.

I am thinking of a new Kindle, I currently have a 4th gen not one with key board just the middle button and side buttons for page on & back. After using a phone with touch screen I am thinking this Kindle is out of the ark, not as easy to use and to be honest it never has been so it's idle more than it is used due to the fact I have circulation problems and my fingers dont always do what my brain tells the to so a touch screen seems the way to go.
Now what I would like to do is give it to my wife who would use it more along with all whats on it and get a new one for myself BUT which one?? 
They move on so quickly and I am a bit of a dinosaur and hang onto things as long as they work sort of thing.
Any advice would be welcome, please write what you think & how you found your kindle, good or bad! 
Thanks 
Huh
Stonewylde..... There's no escape
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
22 Dec 2013, 01:16 PM | Post: #2

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

RE: New Kindle, But which one?

I didn't think anything would beat my Kindle Keyboard. It has things that other kindles, but having gone onto the Paperwhite 2, I rarely use my KK.
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline Daphne Reading Wanted by Tim Arnot
22 Dec 2013, 02:07 PM | Post: #3

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

This is a very timely discussion for me as my Kindle 2 - bought in February 2010 - has just ceased to function (bathtime accident - don't ask Kindle Sad). The Kindle 2 (international) was a prince amongst Kindles - with text-2-speech (which I loved), 3G and a keyboard. Personally I am not a fan of touch screen, so I may just go for the basic Kindle rather than the Paperwhite. My big problem is that none of the current Kindle eReaders offer me text-2-speech (I have it on my KindleFire - but I want it it on my eReader too.)

Baggins - if you want touch screen I guess you will want the Paperwhite. The built in light looks handy too. I used to listen to my Kindle in bed on T2S so never needed the light, but this might just sway me to the Paperwhite. Let me know what you decide.Smile
[Image: 51F7xHVzRlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51elwZ0zy4L._SL95.jpg]
Daphne Coleridge | Twitter
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
22 Dec 2013, 02:35 PM | Post: #4

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

Daphne, I'm no fan of touchscreens, either. But the PW2's is very friendly to use.
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline Daphne Reading Wanted by Tim Arnot
22 Dec 2013, 03:28 PM | Post: #5

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

(22 Dec 2013 02:35 PM)joo Wrote: Wrote:  Daphne, I'm no fan of touchscreens, either.  But the PW2's is very friendly to use.

That's worth knowing - thanks, Joo. I am currently reading my Kindle books on my Fire and find that pages jump a bit too easily when I touch the screen or if I want to bring up the index/settings. Also, although the Fire is all right when reading inside, I will need a proper eReader when I want to read in the garden in the summer. I find the sepia colour mode on the KindleFire makes reading reasonable, but it is still harder on the eye than a no-glare page with E ink.
[Image: 51F7xHVzRlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51elwZ0zy4L._SL95.jpg]
Daphne Coleridge | Twitter
Offline oldfossil Reading
22 Dec 2013, 11:35 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 3 times

What I Read

I had a choice of buying a Kindle Fire or receiving the Kindle Keyboard as a birthday pressie.
I er went for the Keyboard.
Looking at the Fire I decided against this due to the films only being available  ( I believe) via subscription which at £6 pm isn't cheap and I already own an ipod touch so no need for the games, twitter or facebook.
Getting old disgracefully.

Currently Reading:Diary of a Witchcraft Shop by Liz Williams Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Wanted by Tim Arnot Last Book I Read:I Like You For Murder: Emily Nemchick Favourite Genres:Eclectic ReaderFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:SciFi, Classic, Fantasy, AutobiographyFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations