Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Frozen screen

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average

Offline Sallyb
03 Dec 2013, 08:48 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

Frozen screen

Hi, I haven't used my kindle keyboard for a few weeks and when I went use it today the screen is frozen showing the Amazon Kindle logo. When I plug it in to recharge it the orange light stays on for approx 15 seconds then goes off.  I have tried the reboot by holding to slider on/off switch for 30 seconds but it still won't restart. Any help would be appreciated. I have also tried another charger.
Offline Bricorn
03 Dec 2013, 09:00 PM | Post: #2

DXG user

Thanked 3 times

RE: Frozen screen

If the battery is completely flat, you'll have to charge it for a while before it'll start.  Try leaving it on charge for at least 30 minutes.

May not work, but cheap to try.  Cool
Offline Sallyb
03 Dec 2013, 09:10 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

(03 Dec 2013 09:00 PM)Bricorn Wrote: Wrote:  If the battery is completely flat, you'll have to charge it for a while before it'll start.  Try leaving it on charge for at least 30 minutes.

May not work, but cheap to try.  Cool
I left it on charge overnight but no joy.
Offline DeePea
03 Dec 2013, 11:00 PM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

Hi Sally, you could try the ultimate reboot which involves gently prising open the case and removing the battery, it's fixed with a couple of small X head screws. Leave it disconnected for a few minutes then reconnect and clip the case back together. If that does not work then you need a new one. I've been in a similar position in the past and after much fiddling / charging / more fiddling, the solution was to get a new one.
Look on the bright side, Xmas is coming up and a few well aimed suggestions might pay dividends.
Kind Regards
DeePea
---
Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
04 Dec 2013, 12:48 PM | Post: #5

Super Moderator

Thanked 163 times

What I Read

Sally, how old is your kindle? Even if it is out of warranty I would suggest giving Amazon a ring as they are usually very helpful. I wouldn't go taking it apart as suggested above because they won't help you at all if you have done that.

You have nothing to lose and they will phone you back so it isn't going to cost you anything to chat to them. Smile
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up
Offline Sallyb
04 Dec 2013, 02:49 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

(04 Dec 2013 12:48 PM)sujay Wrote: Wrote:  Sally, how old is your kindle? Even if it is out of warranty I would suggest giving Amazon a ring as they are usually very helpful. I wouldn't go taking it apart as suggested above because they won't help you at all if you have done that.

You have nothing to lose and they will phone you back so it isn't going to cost you anything to chat to them. Smile
Thanks was very impressed when I hit the Call Me Now button. Phone rang before I could get across room to bring phone over.  Am trying their suggestion and they will ring me back tomorrow.  Fingers crossed.  I bought in October 2010.
Offline Sallyb
04 Dec 2013, 02:50 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

(03 Dec 2013 11:00 PM)DeePea Wrote: Wrote:  Hi Sally, you could try the ultimate reboot which involves gently prising open the case and removing the battery, it's fixed with a couple of small X head screws. Leave it disconnected for a few minutes then reconnect and clip the case back together. If that does not work then you need a new one. I've been in a similar position in the past and after much fiddling / charging / more fiddling, the solution was to get a new one.
Look on the bright side, Xmas is coming up and a few well aimed suggestions might pay dividends.
Kind Regards
DeePea
Thanks for your suggestion but will try phoning first as not keen on taking things to bits. If not it's on my Santa list.
04 Dec 2013, 09:34 PM | Post: #8

Super Moderator

Thanked 163 times

What I Read

Glad they came up with a suggestion for you. They are usually very helpful. Fingers crossed it works. Smile
Offline Sallyb
05 Dec 2013, 02:44 PM | Post: #9

Thanked 0 times

(04 Dec 2013 09:34 PM)sujay Wrote: Wrote:  Glad they came up with a suggestion for you. They are usually very helpful. Fingers crossed it works. Smile
No luck I am afraid it is defunct. They won't replace it either. Going to download Kindle App and read on my iPad.
05 Dec 2013, 07:28 PM | Post: #10

Super Moderator

Thanked 163 times

What I Read

That's a pity, but at least you tried.

Currently Reading:The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard Last Book I Read:To the Grave by Steve Robinson Favourite Genres:I don't mind, as long as it's good!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations