Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Lovefilm vs Netflix ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Grace Elliot Reading Demelza.
19 Oct 2013, 08:51 PM | Post: #1

Grace Elliot

Thanked 30 times

What I Read

Lovefilm vs Netflix ?

I'm hoping I'm not treading on toes posting this here, but it is a genuine query - so here goes...
At the end of this month contract expires on my old laptop and I was going to use some of the freed up money to take out a subscription to a film site. My instincts are to go with Lovefilm,  but both my teenage sons regular use a Netflix account and are very disparaging about the viewing available on Lovefilm. 
In an ideal world I'd like to find episodes of Sherlock, the IT crowd,  perhaps Blakes 7 and watch historical and sci-fi movies. Any ideas which would be the better stream for me?
Thanks, 
(PS If I'm deleted, I hope it doesn't hurt too much)
[Image: 5140ZyNAkWL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51K00gbdUaL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 511aZHnc8YL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51naRtTfXnL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51ZqtQvpuCL._SX75.jpg]  [Image: 51lr69x4JNL._SL95.jpg]

Fall in Love with History http://graceelliot-author.blogspot.com
Offline nicola1 Reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
21 Nov 2013, 08:28 AM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

RE: Lovefilm vs Netflix ?

I think LoveFilm is great for discs and stuff - but for instant viewing NetFlix is better and most people who have both seem to agree. I know NetFlix has IT Crowd, not sure if it has Sherlock.
Offline Grace Elliot Reading Demelza.
05 Dec 2013, 09:35 PM | Post: #3

Grace Elliot

Thanked 30 times

What I Read

Thanks, Nicole. A great help.
[Image: 5140ZyNAkWL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51K00gbdUaL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 511aZHnc8YL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51naRtTfXnL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51ZqtQvpuCL._SX75.jpg]  [Image: 51lr69x4JNL._SL95.jpg]

Fall in Love with History http://graceelliot-author.blogspot.com
Offline Paula Jane
05 Dec 2013, 09:46 PM | Post: #4

Posting Freak

Thanked 35 times

We use NetFlix and feel it's updated very regularly so if somethings not there, it soon will be. We also like that you can redo all the oldies too.
Paula
Children's author and illustrator.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paula-McBride/e/B005IQ4UMA
[Image: 51pw6eXIFVL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51M56QOBBdL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51RkuTNLjIL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51icEQKTbSL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51G66QpcXvL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51XzRHpCAEL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51QXD9g5r1L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51b84DVqBeL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
05 Dec 2013, 10:05 PM | Post: #5

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

When I tried the Love Film free month last Christmas there was literally nothing that I wanted to see on it. So I cancelled at the end of the month (they don't give you another free go, so I'm unlikely ever to go back), but Netflix - I think I watch more on that than I do on regular TV. A lot of it's HD too, if you have a decent broadband connection.

None of the streaming services currently has Sherlock or Blake's 7, but Netflix has things like Farscape, Star Trek, Stargate etc, and lots of genre shows. I've certainly not regretted subbing to Netflix. Smile
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline Campbell
24 Dec 2013, 08:14 AM | Post: #6

Half an author

Thanked 121 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 24 Dec 2013 09:52 PM by Campbell.
I like the content on Netflix, but it can be pretty hard to find the content you want sometimes. Lovefilm's web interface is a little easier to pare down using multiple specifications (e.g. genre, director, year, rating, all at the same time). With Netflix it's either text search OR one filter.

They're both £5.99/ month for streaming, and on a pure 'on-line' competition, it's obvious that Netflix wins for 99% of people. But for £2 more you can get 3 discs a month with Lovefilm - so 66p/ rental (inc return post) for something you specifically want rather than 'something you like and it happens to be available'.

But for the movies, neither is great. It's all back catalogue stuff of variable quality, and you will exhaust the niche sci-fi. historical sooner or later. If you like newer items then NowTV's £8.99./month movie sub is worth a trial - http://watch.nowtv.com/movies They buy a lot of exclusive rights for the first 12 months, and it gets you everything that's on the Sky Movies channels at any given time (I dropped my virgin sub down when I took this up - sports and movies on Virgin was something like £20 a month, and the £8.99 a month plus the occasional sky sports day pass (which are always available discounted somewhere) has worked out pretty cheap.

Rakuten have started doing a streaming service too - called Wuaki. It's £4.99/month (but there are vouchers floating around the net for half price for life). Availability seems OK - I've not tried it as I'm happy with Netflix but you can see their range at https://uk.wuaki.tv/subscription_plans/wuaki-selection
[Image: 51YPll8aSYL._SL95.jpg][Image: 511Oot9VglL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51uI-baUdXL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ywvzwaQmL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ieTL%2BUsNL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51WbQpEWcYL._SL95.jpg]
Offline M.Ali Reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
05 Jan 2014, 09:13 AM | Post: #7

Thanked 1 times

What I Read

I feel that Lovefilm has got mor variety than Netflix in the UK however saying that, if we had the kind of content the US does, I think. I might be swayed. Still, £5.99 a month for unlimited streaming is brilliant. Another couple pounds more and you can rent discs for how long you want: brilliant!
Offline runner Reading Summit Harry Farthing, Mr Mercedes Stephen King
28 Mar 2016, 01:24 PM | Post: #8

junior kindle junkie!

Thanked 1 times

What I Read

The problem with these streaming service is that there are one or two good series/programs on both netflix and amazon and after that there is lots of dross!! On Amazon Bosch is amazingly good and very close to Connolly's books (not surprising as he is producer on the series) On Netflix the best show is undoubtedly Better Call Saul with some great acting from Bot Odenkirk.
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
28 Mar 2016, 03:04 PM | Post: #9

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

Plenty of cracking good stuff on Netflix -- Daredevil, House of Cards, Sons of Anarchy, Fringe, Spooks, Person of Interest, Warehouse 13, Big Bang Theory, to name just a few. Can't speak for Prime, cos I don't have it, but there's always Jezza Clarkson ... Wink
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline Mads Sorensen Reading A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter
28 Mar 2016, 03:59 PM | Post: #10

Author

Thanked 176 times

What I Read

(28 Mar 2016 03:04 PM)Tim_A Wrote: Wrote:  Plenty of cracking good stuff on Netflix --  there's always Jezza Clarkson ... Wink
A good reason not to join.
[Image: 41rhkIGNKiL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51mqDt327EL._SL95.jpg]    [Image: 51c7sKtKbeL._SL95.jpg]

Currently Reading:Demelza. Last Book I Read:Ross Poldark. Favourite Genres:Historical romance.
Currently Reading:Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins Last Book I Read:Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons Favourite Genres:chick-lit, historical fiction, realistic fiction, thrillers
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling Last Book I Read:Anthony Horowitz - Stormbreaker Favourite Genres:Sci-Fi, fantasy, action/adventureFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Summit Harry Farthing, Mr Mercedes Stephen King Last Book I Read:Mark Billingham Time of Death Favourite Genres:horror and crime
Currently Reading:A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Pretty much anything, apart from RomanceFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations