Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Scrivener Help!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Author

Thanked 391 times

What I Read

Scrivener Help!

This post was last modified: 24 Sep 2013 07:31 PM by DavidHaynes.
A couple of months ago I invested in Scrivener, PC version 
I've been struggling since then to backup my work on a memory stick. It isn't as simple as selecting 'Save As' nor is it as simple as overwriting the previous days writing, at least not for me. I gave up trying and created a new file each day, which was ridiculous.
Tonight I had another go and went down the Save as route. I got a red cross with some crap about the file etc, I disregarded it. Then to my horror I got a message which said Scrivener has stopped working.  It then closed down.
And with it went the last two days of writing. Now it just says "Can't find current project" so it looks like its gone
Mad doesn't come close.
The rest of it is on the memory stick but not anywhere on my computer, nor can Scrivener find it.

What's going on!!!!!!!?????

Right, now 've found that scrivener was backing my file automatically. I've found where it is but now it says I cant open it "File is not writable. Access is denied. AutoSaves need write permission on your project."

How do I get round this?

It's my file, I wrote it and it's my computer! Why can't I open it????
New for May 2017

[Image: 51QQl4j3AWL._SL95.jpg]

The Church of Broken Pieces

Offline Jonathan Hill
24 Sep 2013, 07:30 PM | Post: #2

Author

Thanked 401 times

What I Read

RE: Scrivener Help!

Dave, I'm sorry to hear of your issues. As you know, I use Scrivener and have not had similar problems. It does not seem right at all that you have to save as a new file each time. I'm not sure I have any useful advice. Have you tried emailing the Scrivener help team? Hope you get it sorted.
[Image: 51w2OgUyUJL._SL95.jpg]

A Surprise for Maureen - out now!

Author

Thanked 391 times

What I Read

(24 Sep 2013 07:30 PM)Jonathan Hill Wrote: Wrote:  Dave, I'm sorry to hear of your issues.  As you know, I use Scrivener and have not had similar problems.  It does not seem right at all that you have to save as a new file each time.  I'm not sure I have any useful advice.  Have you tried emailing the Scrivener help team?  Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks, Jonathan.
I'm fairly ignorant about things like this but losing two days work is soul destroying. It looks like it's on my laptop when scrivener does an auto backup but I can't get at it!
New for May 2017

Offline davidwailing Reading
24 Sep 2013, 08:25 PM | Post: #4

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

Okay Mr H, I'm not a Scrivener expert, but it seems that the automated backups are saved into a Zip file. Can you find the Zip file for your most recent project? You should be able to see them if you to to Tools > Options > Backup and click on Open backup folder.

If you can find the most recent Zip file, you should be able to drag it to your desktop, open it to reveal all the project files, and drag and drop them to wherever you want it to live. Then you can double-click on the project file to open in Scrivener. Does that work?

As for the initial problem - were you saving directly onto a memory stick? That may have been the problem. Can you save directly onto your computer?
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk

Author

Thanked 391 times

What I Read

Wink RE: Scrivener Help!

(24 Sep 2013 08:25 PM)davidwailing Wrote: Wrote:  Okay Mr H, I'm not a Scrivener expert, but it seems that the automated backups are saved into a Zip file. Can you find the Zip file for your most recent project? You should be able to see them if you to to Tools > Options > Backup and click on Open backup folder.

If you can find the most recent Zip file, you should be able to drag it to your desktop, open it to reveal all the project files, and drag and drop them to wherever you want it to live. Then you can double-click on the project file to open in Scrivener. Does that work?

As for the initial problem - were you saving directly onto a memory stick? That may have been the problem. Can you save directly onto your computer?

Thanks, David. Yes I dragged them over and unzipped the file. It opened but unfortunately all it had in it was the chapter headings, nothing inside them! It appears I've lost the most recent work and I have to try and re-write the last two days.

I can save onto my computer but I like to have a backup plan. I've heard of people having issues with dropbox etc so I thought I'd use a stick. It doesn't seem to like them much.

Oh well, what's a couple of thousand words between friends. Sad
Scrivener is not my friend. Angry
New for May 2017

Offline davidwailing Reading
24 Sep 2013, 09:01 PM | Post: #6

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

OK... when you unzip the backup Zip file then open the (whateveritscalled).scriv folder, can you see a folder called Files?

If so, open that, then open the Docs folder, and inside that there should be RTF files for everything you wrote. You can copy and paste these RTF files elsewhere then open them in Word.
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
24 Sep 2013, 10:14 PM | Post: #7

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

Scrivener is supposed to save every 2 seconds, so you *shouldn't* have lost anything - if you can only find where it's put it.

As David said, the .scriv "file" is really a disguised folder, and your work should be inside that in a folder called Files\Docs. There will be lots of nn.rtf files, where nn is a number. Each file represents a scrivener document, whether that's a chapter heading, a notes file, synopsis file or an actual scene. The numbers are sequenced simply in the order the files were created. So if you just added a new file, it's likely to be the highest numbered one in this folder. Alternatively just sort the rtf files by Date Modified, and your most recent work should rise to the top (or sink to the, er, other top!)

Then you can copy & paste into the most recent version of the project that still opens correctly, and you're off.

BTW, I've been saving my Scrivener projects to Dropbox for a year now, and never run into any problems.
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!

Author

Thanked 391 times

What I Read

Thanks, David and thanks Tim. I had to stop trying last night. I was going round in circles and not getting anywhere. I'll try again using your advice tonight.
Thanks for your help.
New for May 2017

Author

Thanked 391 times

What I Read

(25 Sep 2013 05:44 AM)DavidHaynes71 Wrote: Wrote:  Thanks, David and thanks Tim. I had to stop trying last night. I was going round in circles and not getting anywhere. I'll try again using your advice tonight.
Thanks for your help.
I've just had a quick play before work. I've found the docs file and alas its empty. I've checked other previous backups and they seem fine. Its just last nights. Unfortunately I can't find Monday nights now! I may have just overwritten it by doing it this morning. 
Oh I feel really ready for work this morning!
New for May 2017

Currently Reading:The Third Rule (The Complete Story) by Andrew Barrett Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Contemporary fiction, humour, mystery, thriller, SFFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F