Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Pulling the plug on Draft2Digital?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Ray Kingfisher Reading No, Writing.
11 Sep 2013, 10:20 AM | Post: #1

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 120 times

What I Read

Pulling the plug on Draft2Digital?

I’ve had all my books on Draft2Digital for about three months now, and I have to say sales have been very poor (about 1% of Kindle)

What with the admin overhead of updating D2D whenever anything changes (cover/blurb/editions) and having my financial details with them and the risk of e.g. Kobo deciding on their own price – what with all that I’m seriously considering removing my titles and giving KDP Select another go, where I might get borrows and have the option of free promotions (and less admin).

What have other author’s experiences been like with D2D? HAs it been worth it for you? Do you think it's worth hanging on?
RK
[Image: 51y5K6eT-IL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 41Sbp8zGoPL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51-U1w3xnrL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51N1yXKzonL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 512YvYLa3-L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51LT3qz-%2BzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51ka%2BBWFFYL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51leGk78ZOL._SL95.jpg]

www.raykingfisher.com
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
11 Sep 2013, 11:37 AM | Post: #2

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

RE: Pulling the plug on Draft2Digital?

I only have Nook and Kobo through D2D, iTunes I manage myself.

But I repeatedly have to email them because the price screws up, or Kobo didn't bother to change something, or Nook arbitrarily set a UK price out of whack with everyone else (why can't you specify the UK price in D2D? It would save me no end of hassle!)

All for a total of 6 sales.

I think part of the problem is that all the indie marketing resources are geared towards Amazon. Where are the nook or Kobo mailing lists for instance? So it's really hard to get any visibility. I'm all in favour of wider distribution, but I do wonder if I wouldn't make more money from the lending facility in Select...

Unless anyone has any great ideas for advertising towards nook / kobo / iBooks users? I'm sure they'd like our books if they knew about them!
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline NilsAnd Reading out of print Danny Dunn books
11 Sep 2013, 11:56 AM | Post: #3

Thanked 17 times

What I Read

I think Tim nailed the problem on the head. Having managed hardly even to break the duck on D2D sales, my main frustration is the visibility. Where are the boards/lists etc? The ones I have seen appear to have very small numbers of visitors. Surely, there must be huge numbers of ipad etc readers out there. How do you reach them?

The original post summed up my thinking pretty much exactly. Is there a real point sticking with D2D or is the "flexibility" of Select (+lending) actually more practical?
[Image: 51XS%2BGF7BaL._SL95.jpg]      [Image: 51kBUvbYx9L._SL95.jpg]      [Image: 51OlecxwAmL._SL95.jpg]      [Image: 51m1ISwLQqL._SL95.jpg]

"Perfect blend of zany adventure and scientific fact!"
http://www.facebook.com/ProfessorKompressorBook

Author

Thanked 391 times

What I Read

I've had a handful of sales in total so hardly groundbreaking. I must admit to getting itchy feet but I promised myself the rest of the year as a test. On a positive note I had a similar number of borrows on Amazon so I don't feel too bad and haven't lost anything.
If it doesn't improve over Christmas I'll pull the plug. I haven't had any issues with pricing(yet)
New for May 2017

[Image: 51QQl4j3AWL._SL95.jpg]

The Church of Broken Pieces

Offline davidwailing Reading
11 Sep 2013, 12:48 PM | Post: #5

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

It's a relief to find I'm not alone in this. I've only recently used D2D to publish my novels through Nook, Kobo and Apple. I had a burst of sales for Fake kate on the Nook, so I assume it appeared in some 'new releases' list somewhere, but since then virtually nothing.

However, I have the same problem as everyone else: where and how to advertise them? And frankly, how many people care? In the UK at least, Amazon is responsible for 90% of eBook sales.

Despite all the discussion elsewhere about how low prices are devaluing eBooks, at the moment it really does look like KDP Select is the best game in town. Since taking all my books out of Select, I've noticed that the amount of reviews I get has plumetted. And without regular free promos, visibility has definitely decreased.

I think I too will see how the rest of this year pans out with a view to returning to Select next year if there is no change.
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk
11 Sep 2013, 01:00 PM | Post: #6

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

I've just remembered that KUF has a sister site for Nook and Kobo owners! Has anyone signed up to http://www.nobooko.com ?
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Offline LexiRevellian Reading A book which I have forgotten to add here
11 Sep 2013, 01:18 PM | Post: #7

Keen kuffer

Thanked 71 times

What I Read

I did D2D at the beginning of June this year. It's well run and easy to do - but I chickened out after two weeks of zero sales. I felt being out of Select was adversely affecting my Amazon sales.

I would love to sell at other venues, and some people manage it. But Amazon is the only seller who will actually, in however small a way, attempt to find readers for your book. The other sites, you have to send readers to, if you want sales.
Lexi
website
[/url] [Image: 51WwAD9NMtL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51da-%2BYkhRL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iBX4NnxoL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41UMQk6bFIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51qTzauJb7L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51tzp0Z0gmL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51gPJw7MmjL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 611cl4LH%2BqL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Mads Sorensen Reading A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter
11 Sep 2013, 01:52 PM | Post: #8

Author

Thanked 176 times

What I Read

(11 Sep 2013 12:48 PM)davidwailing Wrote: Wrote:   Since taking all my books out of Select, I've noticed that the amount of reviews I get has plummeted.
Did Amazon sales drop or just the reviews?
[Image: 41rhkIGNKiL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51mqDt327EL._SL95.jpg]    [Image: 51c7sKtKbeL._SL95.jpg]
Jackie Weger
11 Sep 2013, 02:11 PM | Post: #9

Unregistered

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

[=davidwailing = Wrote:Wrote: pid='125215' dateline='1378903684'] It's a relief to find I'm not alone in this. I've only recently used D2D to publish my novels through Nook, Kobo and Apple. I had a burst of sales for Fake kate on the Nook, so I assume it appeared in some 'new releases' list somewhere, but since then virtually nothing.

However, I have the same problem as everyone else: where and how to advertise them? And frankly, how many people care? In the UK at least, Amazon is responsible for 90% of eBook sales.

Despite all the discussion elsewhere about how low prices are devaluing eBooks, at the moment it really does look like KDP Select is the best game in town. Since taking all my books out of Select, I've noticed that the amount of reviews I get has plumetted. And without regular free promos, visibility has definitely decreased.

I think I too will see how the rest of this year pans out with a view to returning to Select next year if there is no change.

I don't know if I'm doing this correctly. I had  a situation with D2D. Once my ms was uploaded the site kept telling me there was a problem with the epub. Mercy--I sent the file back to the formatter twice. She could not find a problem. I pulled the book and selected another sales venue which does the uploading to iBooks/itunes etc. There was still a problem to upload to those venues--we finally learned the problem was the size of the cover art. It needed resizing. So now I'm stuck with the new sales venue. But D2D did not tell us what the problem was. 

Advertising and promotion is always the snag, isn't it? I thought I would have a wealth of promotion venues because I write romance. But, no. I write plain vanilla novels--so many of the promo and review sites focus on erotica, etc. I do know of some promotion sites for all genres. I'd be happy to post the links here if someone will tell me it's okay to do that. I'm new to the site, so I'm taking baby steps. I've only been an indie author for three months. But, I'd be glad to share what I've learned.
---
11 Sep 2013, 02:58 PM | Post: #10

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

(11 Sep 2013 01:52 PM)Mads Sorensen Wrote: Wrote:  
(11 Sep 2013 12:48 PM)davidwailing Wrote: Wrote:   Since taking all my books out of Select, I've noticed that the amount of reviews I get has plummeted.
Did Amazon sales drop or just the reviews?
Both, now you come to mention it! But reviews really have almost ground to a halt.

Currently Reading:No, Writing. Last Book I Read:Celluloid - Holly Curtis Favourite Genres:comedy, heavy emotional drama.Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F
Currently Reading:out of print Danny Dunn books Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Third Rule (The Complete Story) by Andrew Barrett Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Contemporary fiction, humour, mystery, thriller, SFFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:A book which I have forgotten to add here Last Book I Read:Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child Favourite Genres:Commercial FictionFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Pretty much anything, apart from RomanceFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations