Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

E-ink screen reliability issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Tony C
09 Aug 2013, 08:44 AM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

E-ink screen reliability issues

I love reading on a Kindle and have told all my friends they must get one.
But Kindle E-Ink screens clearly have a major reliability issue.
My first Kindle screen failed totally with horizontal and vertical lines all over the screen. It was 2 years old so out of warranty. Kindle offered me a cost reduction on a replacement, but I turned that down as I had a second Kindle to fall back on - as I liked them so much!
Now the second Kindle screen has failed, after just 20 months. Again just out of warranty and Kindle are offering me a discount on a replacement again. BUT I WOULD NEVER SPEND ANY MORE MONEY ON A KINDLE EVER AGAIN. Two failures just outside the warranty period and Kindle refuse to replace one of them..... despite lots of evidence online that there is a clear reliability issue with these e-ink displays.
Don't buy one..... the reliability just isn't good enough.... very poor customer service.... just bad bad bad.
---
Offline Susan Lohrer Reading Forsaken Dreams by MaryLu Tyndall
09 Aug 2013, 04:03 PM | Post: #2

Thanked 1 times

What I Read

RE: E-ink screen reliability issues

That's odd. I know a few people who have Kindles (I'm in Canada, so most of my friends here still read paper books), and none have said the screen had problems. Mine's quite old (it's the one with the keyboard and wifi, no 3G), and it's going strong.

Not to suggest that you're anything but careful with yours, just trying to help you think what could be the matter, but could you be putting it in some kind of situation that affects the screen? Slight humidity or something, maybe? Vibrations?
[Image: 41xlbaZuOiL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51tJDlSQGtL._SL95.jpg] "A bright new talent."—Katie Fforde
Offline disleydog
09 Aug 2013, 07:02 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 13 times

only had a problem with mine when I sat on it , and Amazon UK replaced that under warranty even though it was entirely my fault .
Offline Bricorn
10 Aug 2013, 06:05 PM | Post: #4

DXG user

Thanked 3 times

"My first Kindle screen failed totally with horizontal and vertical lines all over the screen."

That sounds like a broken substrate.  Could you have knocked it?

Currently Reading:Forsaken Dreams by MaryLu Tyndall Last Book I Read:Split Decisions by Carmen DeSousa Favourite Genres:romance, women's fiction, fantasy, suspenseFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations