Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Book Cover Seekers' Wishlist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Rosen Trevithick Reading
30 Jul 2013, 01:33 PM | Post: #1

Totally Splendid Hotshot Author

Thanked 273 times

What I Read

Book Cover Seekers' Wishlist

This post was last modified: 30 Jul 2013 01:34 PM by Rosen Trevithick.
Please keep this discussion on topic.

Authors, are you hoping to buy a professional pre-made cover but not yet found what you're looking for?

If so, please describe what you're hoping to find in a reply to this thread. Cover designers are watching this space for new ideas.

You can browse a wide range of covers from a selection of cover designers at http://www.indie-book-bargains.co.uk/coversForSale.php
[Image: 51we%2BNvX2aL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51dlN%2BeBifL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51Y3bTpE8eL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51gmgMPfnBL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51qdNKyGE9L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 61TE0dQyxjL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51Fbvd7KyWL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51YepJnT-dL._SL95.jpg]
Offline cecilia_writer Reading Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox
31 Jul 2013, 06:55 AM | Post: #2

That Singular Anomaly the Lady Novelist

Thanked 227 times

What I Read

RE: Book Cover Seekers' Wishlist

I'm not sure if I can express what sort of pre-made cover might suit me - I haven't seriously looked for one but I sometimes think it would be nice not to have the effort of making my own cover, so I've browsed through some of the sites and I think I can safely say I haven't seen anything that I felt would be suitable. Not that my existing covers are perfect either by any means! It's just that many of the covers I've seen have obviously been meant for fantasy / medieval novels with lots of swirling mist and long flowing dresses etc. This might work if I actually ever realise my ambition to write a steampunk novel but don't hold your breath!
I can't imagine what sort of pre-made cover would be available that would fit my original mystery series, but I might be open to something for my 1950s ones as I've had trouble thinking of something for them. I would like something a bit old-fashioned but not too specific, and it might have a couple on the cover but not in a clinch or anything - but with some indication it was a mystery and not chick-lit.
Sorry - this may not be very helpful.
Offline Cathy Reading travels in Elysium by William Azuski
31 Jul 2013, 09:15 AM | Post: #3

Thanked 6 times

What I Read

This is a difficult question to answer. We bought a pre-made cover a couple of days ago because when we saw it we said, "That's the one!"
We were looking for something that had a strong looking woman in it but not with an identifiable face; otherwise we were open-minded. Not much help to designers there I'm afraid.
However the reasons we went on to actually purchase might be useful:
1. - the site was clear, attractive and easy to follow;
2. - you could pay with Paypal ****** most important
3. - price was very, very good value
4. - there was feedback on Facebook page which was very positive.
Hope that helps.
What you're doing on IBB is a great idea; save such a lot of time if several designers are in one place.
Offline Cathy Reading travels in Elysium by William Azuski
31 Jul 2013, 03:45 PM | Post: #4

Thanked 6 times

What I Read

What I'll be looking for next is something fairly plain with a sub-title several words long themed around acting; didn't notice anything like that when browsing so that's on my "wish-list."
Offline Rosen Trevithick Reading
31 Jul 2013, 03:57 PM | Post: #5

Totally Splendid Hotshot Author

Thanked 273 times

What I Read

Thanks both of you - that sounds like feedback that designers will find really useful.

I think Cathy's point about figures without identifiable faces is particularly interesting.

If I get over a dozen designers I might incorporate some form of customer feedback as that's clearly important to authors.
[Image: 51we%2BNvX2aL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51dlN%2BeBifL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51Y3bTpE8eL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51gmgMPfnBL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51qdNKyGE9L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 61TE0dQyxjL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51Fbvd7KyWL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51YepJnT-dL._SL95.jpg]
Offline DebbieTCC
07 Aug 2013, 03:18 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

Thanks Cathy and Cecilia for your feedback. It's really useful hearing author's opinions on what sort of designs they like (and what they don't!)

Cathy you've now given me the kick up the backside to get my Facebook page sorted! I opened it a week or two ago but have been too busy to update it on a regular basis.

Thanks again for taking the time to let us know your thoughts,
Debbie
Offline alexroddie Reading The Terror by Dan Simmons
07 Aug 2013, 03:32 PM | Post: #7

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

To be honest, I don't think I would ever use a pre-made cover although some of the ones listed do look very good. I doubt I would find one that fitted my requirements perfectly, and I'm a perfectionist when it comes to book covers.
Online Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
07 Aug 2013, 03:52 PM | Post: #8

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

With much of the marketing talk being in terms of writing books in series & trilogies etc, that's something I'd certainly be looking for in a cover, and something that doesn't seem to be catered for in the pre-made cover arena: A pack of (say) 3 themed covers suitable for a trilogy.
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline DebbieTCC
07 Aug 2013, 04:24 PM | Post: #9

Thanked 0 times

Great point Tim. To be honest designing for series/trilogies isn't something I've been doing. They've all been individual covers. I did do a design last night for a lady who has another 2 books coming out and luckily I have more images using the same elements, so she's booked all 3 up front.

It's certainly something I'll now keep in mind when I'm designing. I'll perhaps try and incorporate more that could be used in this way from now on.

Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Comedy; Crime, thrillers and mysteryFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue by MC Beaton Favourite Genres:Murder mystery; historicalFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:travels in Elysium by William Azuski Last Book I Read:Conversations in the Abyss by Michael Brookes Favourite Genres:Literary,Historical, Crime,ThrillerFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Terror by Dan Simmons Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Historical fiction, literary classics, landscape writingFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F