Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

HTML files

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline tdc4266 Reading learning German!!!
04 Jul 2013, 07:12 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

HTML files

Hi
I have a car manual which is in the German language and my German is not upto the technical content.
The manual is in HTML format which as I have discovered does not work on the Kindle Keyboard.

I have seen a lot of file converters but as is usually the case it becomes a little confusing (at least for me)!!

Has anyone had experience with file converters that would do the job for me.

Thanks.
Offline George Hamilton
04 Jul 2013, 08:42 PM | Post: #2

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 108 times

What I Read

RE: HTML files

Try Calibre. Once you've downloaded and installed it (I'm going to write a blog post on using Calibre to convert docx files soon): 
1.      Open calibre and click Add Books > Add books from a single directory – select and add your html file.
2.      With the html file highlighted select Convert books > Convert individually
3.      Metadata : Conversion window opens with metadata tab in left pane selected. Enter title, author name (last name, first name), etc. 
4.      From the metadata page, select and import your cover image (there may be another image within Calibre library there, but once you select the cover, the correct one will replace it).
5.      Page Setup: If you know that the file you are converting from was intended to be used on a particular device/software platform, choose the corresponding input profile, otherwise just choose the default input profile (for docx or HTML). If you know the files you are producing are meant for a particular device type, choose the corresponding Output profile. In particular, for MOBI Output files, you should choose the Kindle, and for EPUB the Sony Reader
6.      Table of Contents: select this from the left panel of the conversion window. I select ‘Do not add detected chapters to the TOC’ (because I already include a TOC in my word docx). But select the appropriate option from the top 3 for your book. If you want to edit any of the TOC, you should also select Manually fine tune the TOC after the conversion is completed towards the bottom of the screen. 
7.      Epub Out: Here I tick preserve cover aspect ratio.
8.      Mobi Out: At present, because of the thumbnail cover issue when producing a mobi I do not recommend converting to mobi with Calibre, unless it is for personal use. Best to upload the epub to your Amazon KDP dashboard and let it do the conversion, and then download a copy. But if you do decide to use Calibre to convert to mobi, then you should tick ‘do not add TOC to book’ at the top of the screen, assuming you have already inserted a TOC into your document manually or do not want one. Ensure the Mobi type is old. And, so that you can see the thumbnail when the mobi is on Kindle for PC and some kindles, tick Enable sharing of book content via Facebook etc. Note that this is a compromise which disables last read syncing. 
9.      OK: click this at the bottom of the window, then watch at the lower left of the window as the epub builds.
Offline tdc4266 Reading learning German!!!
05 Jul 2013, 12:03 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

RE: HTML files

Hi
thanks for the great info.
I will try this out next week and let you know how I got on!

Currently Reading:learning German!!! Last Book I Read:German!!! Favourite Genres:
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations