Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during August

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
02 Jul 2013, 05:44 PM | Post: #1

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during August

Please list your suggestions for the book to read during August 2013. Books that have been nominated before, but didn't win, can be re-nominated.

Suggestions will be taken until 21 July, or as soon as we reach 10 suggestions, whichever is the earliest. A second thread will be posted with a poll for voting on your book choice. The winning title will become our Book for August. We have room for 10 books on the poll.

On 14 August 2013, the book's thread will be opened and the discussion will begin.

Please keep cost in mind when suggesting books. Try to keep suggestions under £3.

Please tell us:

•Book Title
•Name of Author
•Link
•Price range
Why you are recommending the book

Please note that suggestions and the voting on books in the KUF Bookclub is open to active KUF members only.
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline Kath Middleton Reading Hell, yes!
02 Jul 2013, 06:01 PM | Post: #2

Book Obsessive

Thanked 703 times

What I Read

RE: Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during August

This post was last modified: 02 Jul 2013 07:15 PM by Kath Middleton.
I don't suppose Joo will be surprised by my suggestion of Black by Rose by Andrew Barrett.  It's recently published at £1.99.  It features some characters from an earlier work but can be read as a stand alone.  It's a crime/thriller book and is both grippingly down to earth and sublime in its expressive writing.  I'm reading it now for the third time and still finding gems in there.  There's tough, no-nonsense dialogue, some emotional and thought inducing passages, quite a lot of dark humour and of course, the forensic stuff is accurate and convincing.  This is definitely my book of the year.
[Image: 51-o4ONEe4L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ex7iwZKuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ZbDrktmuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51F7dWY8IKL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Jonathan Hill
02 Jul 2013, 06:50 PM | Post: #3

Author

Thanked 401 times

What I Read

I second Ignite's suggestion!
[Image: 51w2OgUyUJL._SL95.jpg]

A Surprise for Maureen - out now!

Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
02 Jul 2013, 09:22 PM | Post: #4

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

The way the book club's been going recently, we don't need seconding. Any nomination will go forward.
We just need people to read the darned things TongueBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline TechnoHippy Reading One book at a time
02 Jul 2013, 09:32 PM | Post: #5

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 381 times

What I Read

Well if we had any already on my TBR I'd be happy to join in :-)
[Image: 51AbUjlZ-IL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51V1cDLzQ2L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51RN9BYSNjL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51UMThYt5zL._SL95.jpg]
Offline cecilia_writer Reading Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox
03 Jul 2013, 08:20 AM | Post: #6

That Singular Anomaly the Lady Novelist

Thanked 232 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 03 Jul 2013 08:20 AM by cecilia_writer.
I am still interested in The Time Machine - in fact I have it on my Kindle waiting to be read.
[Image: C15Mdg7JBaS._SL95.png]  [Image: B1hPVOedslS._SL95.png]
Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
13 Jul 2013, 08:57 AM | Post: #7

Super Moderator

Thanked 162 times

What I Read

Come on everyone, we need some more suggestions for the August read. 

I am going to suggest Steve Robinson's brilliant book The Last Queen of England. Like all of Steve's books I loved this one from beginning to end. It is a brilliant page turner and follows on from the previous Jefferson Tate books, but you can also read it as a standalone as well. At £2.49 it is a bargain and I think would make an ideal book club choice. Smile
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up
Offline Mads Sorensen Reading A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter
13 Jul 2013, 11:17 AM | Post: #8

Author

Thanked 176 times

What I Read

I suggest a short story collection, Fine Just The Way It Is by Annie Proulx. She's one of the finest contemporary authors in my opinion. If ever manage to write half as well as her, I'll die happy.
[Image: 41rhkIGNKiL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51mqDt327EL._SL95.jpg]    [Image: 51c7sKtKbeL._SL95.jpg]
Offline B J Burton Reading Complete Works of H P Lovecraft
13 Jul 2013, 01:55 PM | Post: #9

Keyboard Worrier

Thanked 56 times

What I Read

Here's a good book for summer: Hamlyn Colour Cookbook 200 Cocktails. Kindle edition £2.49.
No need to wait for us all to read it - we can start sampling and recommending as soon as August starts (if not before!).
Occasional author - compulsive reader

[Image: 51ZhtjNV5SL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41yFegpI0yL._SL95.jpg]

http://www.bjburton.co.uk
Offline darrenhf Reading
18 Jul 2013, 10:43 AM | Post: #10

Permanently Confused

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I'd like to suggest Stephen King 's The Shining in preparation for the release of his follow up, but I don't know how to put the links up and it's probably a bit pricey now.
[Image: 51F77a5IAmL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51msmkbCVcL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61xZFcG1KSL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51PEInyL87L._SL95.jpg][Image: 41Dc2X38BiL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51dqKzzPLbL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41j9Q1KtzEL._SL95.jpg]

Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Hell, yes! Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, crime, thriller, horror, a touch of sci-fiFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:One book at a time Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue by MC Beaton Favourite Genres:Murder mystery; historicalFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard Last Book I Read:To the Grave by Steve Robinson Favourite Genres:I don't mind, as long as it's good!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Pretty much anything, apart from RomanceFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Complete Works of H P Lovecraft Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy. Historical. Biography.
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Science Fiction, Fantasy, Humour