Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Noise boosts creativity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline leep
22 Jun 2013, 05:50 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 15 times

Noise boosts creativity

Apparently the sounds of a coffee shop can help boost your creativity:

Quote: In a series of experiments that looked at the effects of noise on creative thinking, researchers at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign had participants brainstorm ideas for new products while they were exposed to varying levels of background noise. Their results, published in The Journal of Consumer Research, found that a level of ambient noise typical of a bustling coffee shop or a television playing in a living room, about 70 decibels, enhanced performance compared with the relative quiet of 50 decibels.

And there's even a website that'll play the sounds for you:

Quote: The site, called Coffitivity, was inspired by recent research showing that the whoosh of espresso machines and caffeinated chatter typical of most coffee shops creates just the right level of background noise to stimulate creativity. The Web site, which is free, plays an ambient coffee shop soundtrack that, according to researchers, helps people concentrate.

Personally, I'm a silence is golden kinda guy.[/url]
[Image: 41b1WpC7L5L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41ibvqKEBFL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51XqLx%2BhxIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51g%2BiINoLAL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51bOIIJsknL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 6117LLScjrL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41H6AeNw4QL._SL95_.jpg]
Offline Mads Sorensen Reading A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter
22 Jun 2013, 06:49 PM | Post: #2

Author

Thanked 176 times

What I Read

RE: Noise boosts creativity

Silence or pleasant family noise works for me, but I'm not that sensitive generally. I couldn't do the classic, writer on his own in a remote cottage for three months.
[Image: 41rhkIGNKiL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51mqDt327EL._SL95.jpg]    [Image: 51c7sKtKbeL._SL95.jpg]
Offline cecilia_writer Reading Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox
22 Jun 2013, 06:55 PM | Post: #3

That Singular Anomaly the Lady Novelist

Thanked 232 times

What I Read

I like having classical or movie music as a background - I find I write faster to Bach but it may not be any better! - but I have written in coffee shops. I didn't think it's the background noise that makes me write more though; it's more that if I make the effort to go out with my netbook and sit in Starbuck's or somewhere I would feel silly if I didn't actually write.
[Image: C15Mdg7JBaS._SL95.png]  [Image: B1hPVOedslS._SL95.png]
Offline frogplate Reading The Luck of Han’anga - Thomas Watson
22 Jun 2013, 07:39 PM | Post: #4

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 22 Jun 2013 07:39 PM by frogplate.
Coffee shops are fine when it's just background noise, but I find nearby conversations can break through and distract. So I carry discrete noise-blocking ear-buds and have my "writing" playlist on my phone along with a couple of ambient noise apps (Ambiance and Relax Melodies on Android). The "writing" playlist contains baroque music, along with lyric-free new age, downtempo and electronica. Lyrics in a foreign language don't distract in the same way as English - presumably my brain doesn't pick up on keywords and go off at a tangent.
Offline Michael Cargill Reading
22 Jun 2013, 09:41 PM | Post: #5

Thanked 7 times

What I Read

Interesting. I've had that Coffitivity site playing for a while now and it's quite pleasant!
My books are available for sale on Amazon and Smashwords.  You will also find them on Fenopy, H33t and Extreme Torrent.
[Image: 41TLsNAyVdL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41bD2Rej83L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51DG7h7iooL._SL95.jpg]

My blog of hilarity
Offline Paula Jane
23 Jun 2013, 07:38 AM | Post: #6

Posting Freak

Thanked 35 times

I'm with you Leep, I need silence. I'd love to do the three months in a remote cottage. Smile
Paula
Children's author and illustrator.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paula-McBride/e/B005IQ4UMA
[Image: 51pw6eXIFVL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51M56QOBBdL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51RkuTNLjIL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51icEQKTbSL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51G66QpcXvL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51XzRHpCAEL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51QXD9g5r1L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51b84DVqBeL._SL95.jpg]

Author

Thanked 391 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 23 Jun 2013 07:56 AM by DavidHaynes.
(22 Jun 2013 06:55 PM)cecilia_writer Wrote: Wrote:  I like having classical or movie music as a background - I find I write faster to Bach but it may not be any better! - but I have written in coffee shops. I didn't think it's the background noise that makes me write more though; it's more that if I make the effort to go out with my netbook and sit in Starbuck's or somewhere I would feel silly if I didn't actually write.
At the moment, with my current work, I'm also enjoying classical music. Particularly this,

https://www.youtube.com...

Atmospheric and apt for the period I'm writing about.

In fact all of the Gnosiennes.

https://www.youtube.com...
New for May 2017

[Image: 51QQl4j3AWL._SL95.jpg]

The Church of Broken Pieces

Offline George Reading In The Blood Steve Robinson
23 Jun 2013, 08:36 AM | Post: #8

Veteran Member

Thanked 14 times

What I Read

I crave peace and quite when writing, but it is precious commodity these days. In fact, next week I have promised myself a trip to B&Q to get some ear defenders.
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
23 Jun 2013, 08:57 AM | Post: #9

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

I find coffee shops to be very hit and miss. If somebody on the next table starts a loud conversation and likes the sound of their own voice so much that (a) they want everyone in the shop to hear it and (b) can't shut up for an instant, not even to take a breath (this seems to happen at least 3 visits out of 5), then no, I can't write.

But I've been playing the Coffitivity track while writing this, and it seems quite pleasant. I'll try writing to it later and see how I get on...

Frogplates idea of earplugs might work for the annoying times...
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline George Hamilton
23 Jun 2013, 02:20 PM | Post: #10

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 108 times

What I Read

Sometimes I can take some classical or jazz (mainly when plotting and editing), other times I prefer silence.

Currently Reading:A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Pretty much anything, apart from RomanceFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue by MC Beaton Favourite Genres:Murder mystery; historicalFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Luck of Han’anga - Thomas Watson Last Book I Read:The Mongoliad, Book 3 Favourite Genres:Cyberpunk, Hard Sci-Fi, European DetectiveFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read:The Dukkering Boy by Frances Lewis Favourite Genres:Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Third Rule (The Complete Story) by Andrew Barrett Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:In The Blood Steve Robinson Last Book I Read:The Charter Favourite Genres:Crime
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations