Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

The Guardian Ask Readers to Recommend Indie Authors

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Rosen Trevithick Reading
20 Jun 2013, 10:10 PM | Post: #1

Totally Splendid Hotshot Author

Thanked 278 times

What I Read

The Guardian Ask Readers to Recommend Indie Authors

This post was last modified: 20 Jun 2013 10:16 PM by Rosen Trevithick.
The Guardian have take a bit of flak recently for printing some quotes by people with very critical attitudes to self-publishing. However, they today announced their intention to run a series of Q&A based interviews with self-published authors.

What's more, they're asking people to recommend authors for inclusion.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jun/20/self-published-author-series
This is a very exciting development for indies.

However, the Guardian's previous attempts to find stand out indie titles seem to have resulted in flooding. The article was published today and already there have been allegations of people abusing the nomination system.

To make the most of this opportunity, let's nominate the really strong indies who exemplify professional standards and a positive attitude towards self-publishing. If we put our champions out there, they will help shift the unhelpful self-publishing stereotype and aid us all as a community.

I've blogged about how indies as a whole can make the most of this opportunity:
http://rosentrevithick.co.uk...
[Image: 51we%2BNvX2aL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51dlN%2BeBifL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51Y3bTpE8eL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51gmgMPfnBL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51qdNKyGE9L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 61TE0dQyxjL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51Fbvd7KyWL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51YepJnT-dL._SL95.jpg]
Offline davidwailing Reading
21 Jun 2013, 07:04 AM | Post: #2

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

RE: The Guardian Ask Readers to Recommend Indie Authors

Some really excellent and sober advice here, for anyone thinking of nominating either themselves or an author they admire.
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk
Offline nicola.palmer Reading 'The Breach Between' - Duncan McGonall
21 Jun 2013, 07:46 AM | Post: #3

Thanked 17 times

What I Read

A step in the right direction!  Could be interesting ...
[Image: 51rsHfFvGcL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41M8MguSJ0L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51HhKf0tGKL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513S0N4oQdL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51k3XbrUO3L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51Afu8sLH-L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51hkyJ8rCcL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41BTNflGbaL._SL95.jpg]
Follow me on: Facebook Twitter
Offline Scribbler Reading TBR list - I hate you!
21 Jun 2013, 02:13 PM | Post: #4

I'm not really a duck

Thanked 699 times

What I Read

(21 Jun 2013 07:04 AM)davidwailing Wrote: Wrote:  Some really excellent and sober advice here, for anyone thinking of nominating either themselves or an author they admire.
This forum reeks of integrity, I doubt that any of the authors here would vote for themselves. I certainly wouldn't. Whistle
Scribbler's scribblings:
 Amazon Author Page

Offline George Hamilton
21 Jun 2013, 08:47 PM | Post: #5

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 108 times

What I Read

Thanks for posting this. I've just recommended an Indie whose novel I really enjoyed.
Offline LexiRevellian Reading A book which I have forgotten to add here
22 Jun 2013, 07:02 AM | Post: #6

Keen kuffer

Thanked 71 times

What I Read

I wonder whether most readers are aware they are reading an indie book, unless they know the author? What do you think?
Lexi
website
[/url] [Image: 51WwAD9NMtL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51da-%2BYkhRL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iBX4NnxoL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41UMQk6bFIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51qTzauJb7L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51tzp0Z0gmL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51gPJw7MmjL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 611cl4LH%2BqL._SL95.jpg]
Offline B J Burton Reading Complete Works of H P Lovecraft
22 Jun 2013, 07:41 AM | Post: #7

Keyboard Worrier

Thanked 56 times

What I Read

I think you're right, Lexi. I suspect that to the vast majority of readers a book is just a book, and they either like it or they don't. They couldn't care less about who published the book and how they did it.
Occasional author - compulsive reader

[Image: 51ZhtjNV5SL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41yFegpI0yL._SL95.jpg]

http://www.bjburton.co.uk
Offline B J Burton Reading Complete Works of H P Lovecraft
22 Jun 2013, 07:48 AM | Post: #8

Keyboard Worrier

Thanked 56 times

What I Read

(21 Jun 2013 02:13 PM)Scribbler Wrote: Wrote:  
(21 Jun 2013 07:04 AM)davidwailing Wrote: Wrote:  Some really excellent and sober advice here, for anyone thinking of nominating either themselves or an author they admire.
This forum reeks of integrity, I doubt that any of the authors here would vote for themselves. I certainly wouldn't. Whistle

Absolutely right, Scribbler. We are all far too upstanding to nominate ourselves. So, I'll nominate you and you nominate me. OK?
Occasional author - compulsive reader

[Image: 51ZhtjNV5SL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41yFegpI0yL._SL95.jpg]

http://www.bjburton.co.uk
Offline Mads Sorensen Reading A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter
22 Jun 2013, 11:17 AM | Post: #9

Author

Thanked 176 times

What I Read

(22 Jun 2013 07:02 AM)LexiRevellian Wrote: Wrote:  I wonder whether most readers are aware they are reading an indie book, unless they know the author? What do you think?
I'm not sure they do, which begs the question, Is it beneficial for us indies to be separated from trad authors this way? I suspect it is, on balance, but I don't see it as clear-cut.
[Image: 41rhkIGNKiL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51mqDt327EL._SL95.jpg]    [Image: 51c7sKtKbeL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Scribbler Reading TBR list - I hate you!
22 Jun 2013, 02:00 PM | Post: #10

I'm not really a duck

Thanked 699 times

What I Read

(22 Jun 2013 07:48 AM)B J Burton Wrote: Wrote:  
(21 Jun 2013 02:13 PM)Scribbler Wrote: Wrote:  

Absolutely right, Scribbler. We are all far too upstanding to nominate ourselves. So, I'll nominate you and you nominate me. OK?
We have a deal. *Spits on palm of hand for the handshake*
Scribbler's scribblings:
 Amazon Author Page

Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Comedy; Crime, thrillers and mysteryFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Contemporary fiction, humour, mystery, thriller, SFFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:'The Breach Between' - Duncan McGonall Last Book I Read:'Simon Myth'- Matt Posner Favourite Genres:Anything except vampires and horror
Currently Reading:TBR list - I hate you! Last Book I Read:Maureen Goes to Venice by Jonathan Hill Favourite Genres:Anything with biker chicks... and unicorns.
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:A book which I have forgotten to add here Last Book I Read:Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child Favourite Genres:Commercial FictionFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Complete Works of H P Lovecraft Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy. Historical. Biography.
Currently Reading:A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Pretty much anything, apart from RomanceFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations