Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Bookclub: The discussion of The Diary of a Nobody (contains spoilers)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
14 Jun 2013, 05:29 PM | Post: #1

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read
Hedgehogs rock.
14 Jun 2013, 05:33 PM | Post: #2

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

RE: Bookclub: The discussion of The Diary of a Nobody (contains spoilers)

I finished this earlier today. On the whole, I enjoyed it. Considering it is at tops 175 pages, it did seem to go on forever.
Whilst it was an easy read, I did think at the beginning that it might become tiresome to read in "that voice", but once I got used to it, it was OK.
It certainly was a different time back then. "Woman, know your place" kept popping into my mind.
I did like the red bath bit.
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline B J Burton Reading Complete Works of H P Lovecraft
14 Jun 2013, 10:43 PM | Post: #3

Keyboard Worrier

Thanked 56 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 14 Jun 2013 10:45 PM by B J Burton.
I can see why it's never been out of print in the 120 years since it was published - it's a delight.
Poor Pooter: he really believes his diary will be recognised as a work of literary and historical merit.  The book's warmth as it gently mocks him makes me like the poor chap as well as feel for him.
In some ways it's very much of its time, but the bafflement that Pooter feels when he watches the behaviour of his son is timeless.
A true classic in my opinion, and unlike most classics of that period it's a quick read. 
Occasional author - compulsive reader

[Image: 51ZhtjNV5SL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41yFegpI0yL._SL95.jpg]

http://www.bjburton.co.uk
15 Jun 2013, 07:48 AM | Post: #4

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

A few reviews on Amazon say he's like David Brent, but I didn't find much of it awkward, like DB is. Just a man's bewilderment that nobody gets his jokes.
I presume his age is about 40 something? He just seems so old in his ways.
Hedgehogs rock.
15 Jun 2013, 08:18 AM | Post: #5

Keyboard Worrier

Thanked 56 times

What I Read

I picture him as about 50. I can't say I see anything of David Brent in him. Pooter doesn't try to be liked. He's just convinced that he is worthy of the world's respect.
I love the name Lupin. What a great couple they make - Lupin and Daisy.

Offline Notoriety Reading Five Days in May by Andrew Adonis
17 Jun 2013, 07:53 PM | Post: #6

Posting Freak

Thanked 2 times

What I Read

It was longer than I remembered so am a little late to the discussion!!  Loved it, reading for the second time.  How you can make the mundane details of everyday life into something so funny - it's pure genius.  Somehow despite his being so ordinary and rather limited in his outlook ("I always feel people are happier who live a simple unsophisticated life".) we feel so much for poor old Pooter, and wish him well in his domestic disturbances. 

So much of it is about class and manners and appearances that still ring true mutatis mutandis dare I say?!  Such wonderful characters to play this out - Mr Posh (LOL) who became rich by his "three shilling hats".  The cringe-worthy dinner at the Franchings with the "unorthodox" Mr Harfur Huttle.  And Lupin himself who despite his wayward style in his father's eyes seems to fall into good fortune at every turn.  And Cummings who complains nobody realises he is ill when he doesn't appear for a fortnight - because they haven't read about his illness in the Bicycle News!  Don't get me going on the "Jackson Freres" champagne - I'll crease up again!!

And of course BJ, Pooter's wish that his diary become a literary success proved to be so true!!

Tony
Arab proverb: Only a fool lends his books and only a fool returns them.
17 Jun 2013, 08:02 PM | Post: #7

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

I think my biggest cringe for Mr Pooter was when he was given the bill at the end of the one party.
He's just not used to going out socially Big Grin Not even to his own friends' houses.
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline Notoriety Reading Five Days in May by Andrew Adonis
17 Jun 2013, 08:20 PM | Post: #8

Posting Freak

Thanked 2 times

What I Read

And the seance!!!!! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Tony
Arab proverb: Only a fool lends his books and only a fool returns them.
20 Jun 2013, 08:13 AM | Post: #9

Keyboard Worrier

Thanked 56 times

What I Read

Good point about the success of the diary, Tony, although I feel poor Pooter would be dismayed by the title!

Offline LexiRevellian Reading A book which I have forgotten to add here
20 Jun 2013, 10:20 AM | Post: #10

Keen kuffer

Thanked 71 times

What I Read

My favourite quote:

"I left the room with silent dignity, but caught my foot in the mat."
Lexi
website
[/url] [Image: 51WwAD9NMtL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51da-%2BYkhRL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iBX4NnxoL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41UMQk6bFIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51qTzauJb7L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51tzp0Z0gmL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51gPJw7MmjL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 611cl4LH%2BqL._SL95.jpg]

Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Complete Works of H P Lovecraft Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy. Historical. Biography.
Currently Reading:Five Days in May by Andrew Adonis Last Book I Read:The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes Favourite Genres:Classics, politics, foreign language, "lit fic", funFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:A book which I have forgotten to add here Last Book I Read:Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child Favourite Genres:Commercial FictionFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations