Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Kindle won't connect to Wifi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline TechnoHippy Reading One book at a time
12 May 2013, 09:01 AM | Post: #1

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 381 times

What I Read

Kindle won't connect to Wifi

My Kindle has stopped connecting to my wifi network. Laptop is fine, but the Kindle keeps asking for the Wifi password, which then fails when I put it in :-(
I found an FAQ that suggests restarting the device, but there is no such option.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
[Image: 51AbUjlZ-IL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51V1cDLzQ2L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51RN9BYSNjL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51UMThYt5zL._SL95.jpg]
12 May 2013, 09:03 AM | Post: #2

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 381 times

What I Read

RE: Kindle won't connect to Wifi

Hold on - I've found the restart option - fingers crossed!
[Image: 51AbUjlZ-IL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51V1cDLzQ2L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51RN9BYSNjL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51UMThYt5zL._SL95.jpg]
Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
12 May 2013, 09:19 AM | Post: #3

Super Moderator

Thanked 163 times

What I Read

Hope it works for you now. Smile
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up
12 May 2013, 09:35 AM | Post: #4

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 381 times

What I Read

Unfortunately not. I've setup a new connection on my phone and that connects fine. Unfortunately my data plan doesn't let me setup a hotspot so I can use that.

Is it possible to sync via USB?
12 May 2013, 11:41 AM | Post: #5

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 381 times

What I Read

Rebooting the router solved the problem, all my new books have arrived - yay!
Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
12 May 2013, 04:20 PM | Post: #6

Super Moderator

Thanked 163 times

What I Read

Glad you are up and running again. Don't mention routers to me, mine seems to think it can keep going to sleep for no reason. Not very helpful that I need to reboot the confounded thing when I am downstairs, and the router is upstairs. Sad
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up
Offline mjkazmierski
17 Oct 2013, 07:54 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

I have reset my kindle (30 second reboot) but still no joy with Wifi - Settings page shows 0 available networks (all other devices in my office are fine) and the little revolving icon in the top left hand side of the screen is just spinning (the bars next to the battery symbol are showing five bars though)
when i took the kindle for a trip recently, it did misbehave - refusing to turn on one out of every four or five times I had it "sleeping" - is it broken?
---
Offline Notoriety Reading Five Days in May by Andrew Adonis
18 Oct 2013, 03:00 PM | Post: #8

Posting Freak

Thanked 2 times

What I Read

I occasionally get this - it's not usually the Kindle - it's mostly a router problem and best thing as TechnoHippy says is to restart your router. I run a Kindle Keyboard and normally pick up about 5-6 wifi signals including from the neighbours as well as two of ours. I have had a couple of occasions recently when there were none and I clicked "rescan" at the top of the (empty) list and up they all popped.

Tony
Arab proverb: Only a fool lends his books and only a fool returns them.
Offline Mr s
22 Dec 2013, 01:49 AM | Post: #9

Thanked 0 times

Well i'm on a shared network with Virgin router. Won't connect the WiFi. But found a clumsier work around using the power special Kindle USB, which when you pull off the plug reveals a USB socket and can be used as a Micro USB to USB converter cable for file transfer.

1. Connect the kindle....open up the kindle (it will be a drive) in Computer on Windows.

2. Amazon website>Manage your kindle>Library> Click on ACTIONS BUTTON to right of the book you want>Download Via USB OPTION>PICK THE KINDLE.

3 As Amazon say "Transfer Tip: After downloading, use your USB cable to connect your computer and Kindle. Your Kindle will appear as a drive on your computer. Copy your downloaded file from your computer to your Kindle's documents folder."

PS: When you down load the book from your archive..MAKE SURE ITS FOR THE DEVICE YOU WANT TO USE IT ON (as I tried the PC files for my books in PC Kindle app and they didn't work when copied to my kindle)...As they seem to get locked to the device you tell Amazon you want to use, when you download them.
---
Offline Kevins
23 Jan 2014, 10:13 PM | Post: #10

Thanked 1 times

(17 Oct 2013 07:54 PM)mjkazmierski Wrote: Wrote:  I have reset my kindle (30 second reboot) but still no joy with Wifi - Settings page shows 0 available networks (all other devices in my office are fine) and the little revolving icon in the top left hand side of the screen is just spinning (the bars next to the battery symbol are showing five bars though)
when i took the kindle for a trip recently, it did misbehave - refusing to turn on one out of every four or five times I had it "sleeping" - is it broken?

IF 0 networks available turn the areoplane mode on, you have to see the plane icon next to the battery icon, do the factory reset, then hold the power button for 20 seconds, this will erase all your content from  your Kindle but will bring the networks back 

Currently Reading:One book at a time Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard Last Book I Read:To the Grave by Steve Robinson Favourite Genres:I don't mind, as long as it's good!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Five Days in May by Andrew Adonis Last Book I Read:The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes Favourite Genres:Classics, politics, foreign language, "lit fic", funFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations