Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during June

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
04 May 2013, 07:40 AM | Post: #1

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during June

Please list your suggestions for the book to read during June 2013. Books that have been nominated before, but didn't win, can be re-nominated.

Suggestions will be taken until 21 May, or as soon as we reach 10 suggestions, whichever is the earliest. A second thread will be posted with a poll for voting on your book choice. The winning title will become our Book for June. We have room for 10 books on the poll.

On 14 June 2013, the book's thread will be opened and the discussion will begin.

Please keep cost in mind when suggesting books. Try to keep suggestions under £3.

Please tell us:

•Book Title
•Name of Author
•Link
•Price range
Why you are recommending the book

Please note that suggestions and the voting on books in the KUF Bookclub is open to active KUF members only.
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
04 May 2013, 07:46 AM | Post: #2

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

RE: Bookclub: Suggestions for the book to read during June

I suggest that this month will be another Classics month, but see if you can find a shorter story than Jude And Nicholas.

I'm suggesting -=The Diary of a Nobody by Weedon Grossmith. I picked it up free (and it still is) when the 21st century version was free (not now).
It has 50% 5stars and is just over 100 pages.
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline Notoriety Reading Five Days in May by Andrew Adonis
04 May 2013, 09:39 PM | Post: #3

Posting Freak

Thanked 2 times

What I Read

Diary of a Nobody is a great laugh with some interesting observations about Victorian social life.  There are always free editions out there because long out of print.  First book I read on Kindle.

Tony
Arab proverb: Only a fool lends his books and only a fool returns them.
Offline ElaineG Reading Standers by Dale Brumfield
04 May 2013, 09:39 PM | Post: #4

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 32 times

What I Read

I have downloaded it, just in case Big Grin
Offline navlogan Reading Faust 2.0 by Michael Brookes
05 May 2013, 06:34 AM | Post: #5

Normal service will be resumed shortly

Thanked 401 times

What I Read

If we are talking Classics, then one book that comes to mind is The Call of the Wild, by jack London. (B0083ZBW2Y) http://http...
This i recently re-read and it is a great book, filled with the wild imagery of the time and place of its setting. A great adventure story and one for all lovers of nature and animals. Some very insightful commentary on the mind of the wolf also, and just how close the pet mutt is to its majestic ancestors
Offline cecilia_writer Reading Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox
05 May 2013, 08:29 AM | Post: #6

That Singular Anomaly the Lady Novelist

Thanked 232 times

What I Read

This isn't a suggestion but a sort of comment - I thought it might be nice to discuss one of the books I read when I was younger, such as The Catcher in the Rye or Cannery Row, but what I found when I went to search for Kindle versions was that these were both horrendously expensive (by my standards anyway). I suppose it's because they're still in copyright as opposed to Dickens etc.
If anyone did want to risk another 19th century one, I recommend Shirley by Charlotte Bronte which is my favourite of the Bronte works.
Offline Jonathan Hill
05 May 2013, 09:30 AM | Post: #7

Author

Thanked 401 times

What I Read

(05 May 2013 06:34 AM)navlogan Wrote: Wrote:  If we are talking Classics, then one book that comes to mind is The Call of the Wild, by jack London. (B0083ZBW2Y) http://http...
This i recently re-read and it is a great book, filled with the wild imagery of the time and place of its setting. A great adventure story and one for all lovers of nature and animals. Some very insightful commentary on the mind of the wolf also, and just how close the pet mutt is to its majestic ancestors
That would be appropriate.  Wasn't Jude reading that book in last time's book club read?

May I put forward The Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men?  I have both but not read either yet.  This could be my chance!
[Image: 51w2OgUyUJL._SL95.jpg]

A Surprise for Maureen - out now!

05 May 2013, 10:38 AM | Post: #8

Thanked 232 times

What I Read

I would be happy to discuss 'Of Mice and Men' based on my experience of my dog acting a part in it a few years ago - while I was there in the role of dog-handler I heard most of it!
Offline Stu Ayris Reading All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
05 May 2013, 11:32 AM | Post: #9

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 82 times

What I Read

What a forum this is! You have all just listed about half my top ten favourite books ever! The only one I haven't read is Call of the Wild and I've been meaning to read it for years - so that's why it gets my vote!
05 May 2013, 01:58 PM | Post: #10

Thanked 232 times

What I Read

Just remembered that for selfish reasons I would like to read The Time Machine by H.G. Wells - have checked and there are free versions around.

Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Five Days in May by Andrew Adonis Last Book I Read:The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes Favourite Genres:Classics, politics, foreign language, "lit fic", funFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Standers by Dale Brumfield Last Book I Read:The Twelfth Child by Bette Lee Crosby Favourite Genres:Anything with a damn good story (apart from spy thrillers)!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Faust 2.0 by Michael Brookes Last Book I Read:Fag by Jonathan Hill Favourite Genres:Fantasy, ThrillerFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue by MC Beaton Favourite Genres:Murder mystery; historicalFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy Last Book I Read:A Path with Heart by Jack Kornfield Favourite Genres:Literary FictionFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations