Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Best way of channeling readers to your book

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline alexroddie Reading The Terror by Dan Simmons
08 Mar 2013, 10:21 PM | Post: #1

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

Best way of channeling readers to your book

I'm currently in a bit of a dilemma and I was wondering if anyone might be able to offer any input. Since publishing OGJ on Kindle in October, I have used the Kindle UK link everywhere (Twitter, forums, Facebook, blog etc). This means that when new people follow me, they often click through to my book on Kindle. So far so good.

However, since publishing the book in paperback, I have started to replace this link with the novel's page on my website instead, where there are a range of buying options (Amazon Kindle or paperback, Waterstones, Kobo etc). The theory is that this will give readers more choice and help educate them about the different ways they can read the book.

However, over the last few days I have noticed that Kindle sales have ground to a complete halt! I can't track paperback sales in real time due to bi-annual reporting, although fluctuations in rank do indicate some sales activity.

My concern is that, in giving customers another stepping stone between their first click and actually purchasing the book, many of them never get as far as buying it.

What do you think? Am I losing customers due to my new tactic of referring people to the novel's central page, or is this just a temporary glitch?
Offline Damien J. Nash Reading Flux by Mark. R. Faulkner
08 Mar 2013, 10:42 PM | Post: #2

Author

Thanked 38 times

What I Read

RE: Best way of channeling readers to your book

If you're selling online, focus on the digital versions. If people would prefer the paperback then they will choose that over the ebook version, and it is easy for a potential buyer to find the paperback edition through Amazon on your Kindle page.

I'm not a huge fan of directing people directly to Amazon as an only option, but you are correct, buyers will follow the path of least resistance and extra steps will increase the likelihood of them ending up not buying. That said, those who end up on the your Amazon book page via your website are pretty much a lock-in to buy.

So, give people as many reasons to keep coming back to your site as possible. Get people to know and like you, and they will buy your book eventually (even if that's a year from now). There's plenty of reasons why people intend to buy but don't just yet. Wrong side of payday, in the middle of another book already, planning it for a gift but that day isn't for another two months, so I'll get it nearer the time.

Find new fans and stay on their radar.
08 Mar 2013, 10:50 PM | Post: #3

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

Cheers for the input Damien. I'm working hard on getting and keeping fans (articles targeted at the outdoor community, my primary audience, have worked wonders) but getting the balance right is the tricky part!
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
08 Mar 2013, 10:51 PM | Post: #4

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

Not quite what you are asking, but I get annoyed on here when there's no single link to an author's amazon page in their signature and I have to go via their website.
Since we are talking Kindle (well, I am lol), then have your Amazon page as your main link and have your webpage easily visible from there.
Hedgehogs rock.
08 Mar 2013, 10:57 PM | Post: #5

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

(08 Mar 2013 10:51 PM)joo Wrote:  Not quite what you are asking, but I get annoyed on here when there's no single link to an author's amazon page in their signature and I have to go via their website.
Since we are talking Kindle (well, I am lol), then have your Amazon page as your main link and have your webpage easily visible from there.

Interestingly it hasn't even occurred to me to use my Amazon author page--it's probably one of my least used tools to be honest.
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
08 Mar 2013, 11:19 PM | Post: #6

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

It looks fine to me Alex Big Grin
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline Louise Warman Reading
09 Mar 2013, 08:46 AM | Post: #7

Veteran Member

Thanked 48 times

What I Read

As a slight sidestep - I guess you probably know about Cordee who distribute outdoor books?
I used to get a paper catalogue in the bookshop a couple of times a year - I guess its now email shots! They could maybe give your paperback a way in to book and outdoor stores without doing all the legwork.
They do have a little fiction on the list.
The Reluctant Expat (2018) http://authl.it/a6c
[Image: 51capRdasbL.jpg][Image: 51yKbM97VgL._SL95.jpg][Image: 515jzL-SaQL._SL95.jpg][Image: 518fGdBJ2kL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51uRGadd6NL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51kk%2BxPWk8L._SL95.jpg]
09 Mar 2013, 10:38 AM | Post: #8

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

(09 Mar 2013 08:46 AM)Louise Warman Wrote:  As a slight sidestep - I guess you probably know about Cordee who distribute outdoor books?
I used to get a paper catalogue in the bookshop a couple of times a year - I guess its now email shots! They could maybe give your paperback a way in to book and outdoor stores without doing all the legwork.
They do have a little fiction on the list.

Thanks for that Louise, I will look them up!

Still no Kindle sales--that's four days with nothing at all now, most bizarre when you consider that I was averaging 2-3 a day last month.
Offline George Reading In The Blood Steve Robinson
09 Mar 2013, 02:46 PM | Post: #9

Veteran Member

Thanked 14 times

What I Read

I would agree with Damien that linking straight to a digital book brings better results. I have tried links to my website, links to my author's page on amazon and links directly to a book and although I don't have any evidence of which works best, I think it is the latter.
09 Mar 2013, 03:33 PM | Post: #10

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

(09 Mar 2013 02:46 PM)George Wrote:  I would agree with Damien that linking straight to a digital book brings better results. I have tried links to my website, links to my author's page on amazon and links directly to a book and although I don't have any evidence of which works best, I think it is the latter.

I think you might be right. I have long suspected that most of my sales come from Twitter, and considering that the link has mainly been changed on Twitter this would tend to confirm this theory...

Currently Reading:The Terror by Dan Simmons Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Historical fiction, literary classics, landscape writingFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Flux by Mark. R. Faulkner Last Book I Read:Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman Favourite Genres:Indie books!
Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Literary fiction, thrillers, travel, food & cookery.Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:In The Blood Steve Robinson Last Book I Read:The Charter Favourite Genres:Crime