Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Bookclub: The discussion of The Hundred Year Old Man Who ... (contains spoilers)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Susanne Reading The Rose Petal Beach by Dorothy Koomson
31 Jan 2013, 05:56 PM | Post: #1

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 5 times

What I Read
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
Offline alexroddie Reading The Terror by Dan Simmons
12 Feb 2013, 04:03 PM | Post: #2

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

Has anyone else read this? I picked it up on Kindle when it was 20p, and considering the vast numbers of glowing reviews I thought I was in for a treat. People I know had also personally recommended it.

I hated the book! Got to about 20% of the way through before giving up. There were frequent disorienting flashbacks, every single minor character was disagreeable, and the main character seemed to have no motivation other than boredom. I found the plot implausible and the entire story had a sense of superficiality. I really couldn't find a single redeeming feature other than occasional gallows humour!

Maybe it's just a case of me not 'getting' the book--not sure. Anyone else read and enjoyed it? Should I have persevered?
Offline TresaC Reading Submissions! A N Other
12 Feb 2013, 04:07 PM | Post: #3

Accidental Publisher

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

RE: The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

I downloaded it when it was 20p too, after hearing good things about it. I haven't started it yet though. Maybe I shouldn't bother. Hopefully someone here will have read it and will be able to tell you that it all comes alive at 30%.
Offline Dorte Hummelshoj Reading Blood Harvest by S.J. Bolton
12 Feb 2013, 04:18 PM | Post: #4

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 78 times

What I Read

Oh? Was it this one that won, or was it Jane Austen?

I thought about buying this one for the book club, but paying $ 10 for the Kindle version.... I'll wait and see what everybody else says Smile
Writer of traditional crime fiction. My blog

[Image: 51qhtZaEtGL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51DtkUTwjUL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61%2B462czKNL._SL95.jpg][Image: 614sqAeapVL._SL95.jpg][Image: 510FBkJujnL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51Tpv4zQPNL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51A8eLRZfeL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61aoEY2n0ML._SL95.jpg]
Gem
[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Gem[/font]
12 Feb 2013, 04:19 PM | Post: #5

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

(12 Feb 2013 04:07 PM)TresaC Wrote:  I downloaded it when it was 20p too, after hearing good things about it. I haven't started it yet though. Maybe I shouldn't bother. Hopefully someone here will have read it and will be able to tell you that it all comes alive at 30%.

I suspect it might be a Marmite book Smile A lot of people love it, but it wasn't for me.
Offline Ray Kingfisher Reading No, Writing.
12 Feb 2013, 05:28 PM | Post: #6

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 120 times

What I Read

I posted my lukewarm review of this a few weeks ago and the things I thought wrong with it:

http://www.kuforum.co.uk...

I think BJBurton agreed with me but alluded to the huge number of positive Amazon reviews.

RK
[Image: 51y5K6eT-IL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 41Sbp8zGoPL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51-U1w3xnrL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51N1yXKzonL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 512YvYLa3-L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51LT3qz-%2BzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51ka%2BBWFFYL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51leGk78ZOL._SL95.jpg]

www.raykingfisher.com
Offline B J Burton Reading Complete Works of H P Lovecraft
12 Feb 2013, 05:28 PM | Post: #7

Keyboard Worrier

Thanked 56 times

What I Read

As the Book Club choice, discussions are due to start on 14th.
But as there's no one else listening I can say that that I didn't like it either. It was mildly amusing at first, but it soon became repetitive.
Occasional author - compulsive reader

[Image: 51ZhtjNV5SL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41yFegpI0yL._SL95.jpg]

http://www.bjburton.co.uk
12 Feb 2013, 05:40 PM | Post: #8

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

(12 Feb 2013 05:28 PM)B J Burton Wrote:  As the Book Club choice, discussions are due to start on 14th.
But as there's no one else listening I can say that that I didn't like it either. It was mildly amusing at first, but it soon became repetitive.

Oops, didn't know it was the book club subject (I haven't been paying attention to that forum!)

Glad it's not just me...
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
12 Feb 2013, 06:07 PM | Post: #9

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

Perhaps we should start the bookclub discussion early Big Grin
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline Jonathan Hill
12 Feb 2013, 07:04 PM | Post: #10

Author

Thanked 401 times

What I Read

I have the book. Well I can't not have it when it's only 20p. It does seem to be a marmite book, but I will try it with an open mind.
[Image: 51w2OgUyUJL._SL95.jpg]

A Surprise for Maureen - out now!

Currently Reading:The Rose Petal Beach by Dorothy Koomson Last Book I Read:The Summer Son by Craig Lancaster Favourite Genres:contemporary fiction, literary fiction, crime/thriller,Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Terror by Dan Simmons Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Historical fiction, literary classics, landscape writingFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Submissions! A N Other Last Book I Read:Conversations in the Abyss by Michael Brookes Favourite Genres:Thought provoking fiction/biographies of adventurous people
Currently Reading:Blood Harvest by S.J. Bolton Last Book I Read:Did Anyone Die by Stella Stafford Favourite Genres:Crime fiction (police procedural, private sleuth, cosies)Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:No, Writing. Last Book I Read:Celluloid - Holly Curtis Favourite Genres:comedy, heavy emotional drama.Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Complete Works of H P Lovecraft Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy. Historical. Biography.
Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations