Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

2011, year of Tolkien for me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline sezo Reading Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch
01 Jan 2011, 06:03 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

2011, year of Tolkien for me

Hi folks.
This year I have decided to read and love the tales of MiddleEarth. I have tried to read them a few times over the years but never finish it. I love the Lord of the Rings films and always wanted to get lost in the books, but they are so big and difficult to transport around it was hard to do it. But now, being on the kindle, I can carry them all and they weigh only a kindle hehe.

So, this year I have decided to make this the year I read Tolkiens big works.
Starting with the Silmarillion, then the Hobbit, then Lord of the Rings, and if I have any time left over after that, the Children of Hurin and other stuff.
I'll be reading other stuff at the same time, but, a year seems reasonable doesnt it!

Anyone else going to be doing the same?
Offline Daphne Reading Wanted by Tim Arnot
01 Jan 2011, 06:30 PM | Post: #2

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

RE: 2011, year of Tolkien for me

Sounds like a good plan. I adore the Hobbit, loved the Lord of the Rings, but could never get through The Silmarillion or Tolkien's Unfinished Tales. I know other people who find The Silmarilliion hard going, so if you struggle, do start with the Hobbit, which is such a lovely read.
[Image: 51F7xHVzRlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51elwZ0zy4L._SL95.jpg]
Daphne Coleridge | Twitter
Offline Carl Reading Discworld
01 Jan 2011, 07:14 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 01 Jan 2011 07:25 PM by Carl.
I've got those on my reading list this year as well =] (when my kindle actually arrives...) should keep me entertained on my 9hr coach journey back up to Edinburgh in a few days
[Image: 3333tb.jpg]
Offline carryonvending Reading An Officer & a Spy - Robert Harris
01 Jan 2011, 08:00 PM | Post: #4

The Right Honourable PunMeister

Thanked 9 times

What I Read

(01 Jan 2011 07:14 PM)Carl Wrote:  I've got those on my reading list this year as well =] (when my kindle actually arrives...) should keep me entertained on my 9hr coach journey back up to Edinburgh in a few days

Great Stories all of them..............but Tolkien does make five minutes into three weeks.

So nine hours on a coach.... two or three paragraphs then!Blush
You can tell the sex of an ant by dropping it into a jug of water.
If it sinks: girl ant
If it floats: boy ant
Offline sezo Reading Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch
01 Jan 2011, 08:27 PM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Daphne - Yeah the silmarillion is interesting, but its not a page turner. But its good for adding the background into Sauron and all that and how it was formed. But its more of a contextual thing, rather than an exciting story. I cant wait to get through it and start the hobbit Big Grin

and Carl - good luck with the reading on the 9hr journey! Let me know how you get on! Would be good to encourage eachother hehe.

COV - yes, Tolkien does have that habit of describing absolutely everything in the background before getting to the action. But when you consider how all the info was there for when they made the films it means the films are actually what we imagine from the books.
Offline nickspalding
03 Jan 2011, 12:51 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 1 times

This post was last modified: 03 Jan 2011 12:52 PM by nickspalding.
Ooh...good luck with that one.

They can be a bit of a slog to be honest...Especially Silmarillion. I don't actually know of anyone who's read that and honestly enjoyed it...

And Tom Bombadil will annoy you. I can almost guarantee it.
Offline garyhere Reading Watch Me Die by Lee Goldberg
03 Jan 2011, 02:39 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

The LOTR books have always seemed like something I should read. I bought a box set of the 3 paperbacks a few years ago and hardly got through the first quarter of the first story!
As for the movies, I'm surprised my DVD of the first movie isn't worn out the number of aborted attempts I've made to watch to the end.
Maybe I will give it a go. Am I right in thinking that the Hobbit should be my first read?
Offline malp
06 Jan 2011, 08:35 PM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

I'm going to be a bit controversial here and say that I actually really en joyed the Silmarillion. I read it after I'd read the hobbit and the 3 lord of the rings books. I quite enjoyed the depth he goes into and the history of different ages.

I enjoyed it more than the unfinished tails, but i must admit I have, but have not read yet, The Children of Hurrin. it seems like it could be a slog. I've always enjoyed the depth of detail that Tolkien goes into though.

I hope you enjoy his works as much as I have.

all the best

mal
Offline gregDT Reading Wheel of Time - Two Rivers
08 Jan 2011, 11:55 AM | Post: #9

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Another vote for liking the Silmarillion. I will admit that I had a couple of false starts with the book but once I got a few chapters in it was a really fine read.

I think readers need to approach The Silmarillion on the basis that it's not an actual novel but more a factual book about the mythology of Middle Earth.
--

Greg
Offline DDCambs Reading Immune (The Rho Agenda : Book Two)
08 Jan 2011, 04:53 PM | Post: #10

Veteran Member

Thanked 1 times

What I Read

Reading the comments, I fee suitably chastised. I bought the LOTRs many MANY moons ago as a limited edition leather bound set. I was determined to read them but kept giving up and, eventually, just enjoyed the look of them on my bookcase.

The films were wonderful. So much so that I bought the extended versions of them and have watched them over and over again.

I shall have another go at the printed version. Make that the KINDLE version......
May you live as long as you want to and want to as long as you live (read that is) Tongue

Currently Reading:Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch Last Book I Read:Heresy of Dr John Dee - Phil Rickman Favourite Genres:classics, historical, fantasy, vampires, and occult theoryFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Wanted by Tim Arnot Last Book I Read:I Like You For Murder: Emily Nemchick Favourite Genres:Eclectic ReaderFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Discworld Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy
Currently Reading:An Officer & a Spy - Robert Harris Last Book I Read:Heart Of Darkness - Joseph Conrad Favourite Genres:Thrillers & SciFi
Currently Reading:Watch Me Die by Lee Goldberg Last Book I Read:God is not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything Favourite Genres:Bit of Everything...till I get bored!
Currently Reading:Wheel of Time - Two Rivers Last Book I Read:The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest Favourite Genres:Crime, Thriller, SciFi, Fantasy
Currently Reading: Immune (The Rho Agenda : Book Two) Last Book I Read:The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda : Book One Favourite Genres: