Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Got a 8.9" Kindle Fire HD for christmas from brother in America. Nightmare.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline snowathlete
18 Jan 2013, 11:01 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

got a 8.9" Kindle Fire HD for christmas from brother in America. Nightmare.

My brother wanted to get one of these for my wife and I for christmas. Very thoughtful.
So, he asked me to contact Amazon.co.uk and ask if it would work first. They said yes that it would work, and i could just download the LoveFilm app to use Lovefilms on the device.
So, my brother ordered it. I then bought a lovefilm subscription for my wife.

Now we are back in the Uk and i linked it to my amazon.co.uk account.....guess what? It doenst work.
I can buy books. I can browse the net.
I cannot download any apps whatsoever. It points to the US app store still, and you cannot change that, but it also wont let you download from there because it can tell that I am in the UK.

Contact Amazon.co.uk and they said sorry, mistake, shouldnt have told me it will work, because it wont. Brilliant, nice one Amazon!
They dont seem to care even though its their fault. I've done chat with them but that didnt get me anywhere. Ive had email contact with them but that hasnt got me anywhere yet either. Really annoyed.
---
Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
18 Jan 2013, 11:51 PM | Post: #2

Administrator

Thanked 85 times

What I Read

RE: got a 8.9" Kindle Fire HD for christmas from brother in America. Nightmare.

Your best bet is to hang on to it until they launch the 8.5 here in the UK, which surely can't be too far away. The 7" US model works absolutely fine here, so it's probably just a firmware update that's needed.
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
Offline snowathlete
19 Jan 2013, 05:59 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

your probably right, but i dont think Kindle have confirmed that the 8.9" will ever be released in the UK, but i am guessing that it will be. I am trying to get a definitive answer from them on whether it will be and when. If i have to wait a month then that is one thing, if i have to wait 9 months then thats a different thing.

I have made some progress though, i have figured out how to swap out the US app store for the UK one. Its easy and didnt involve any rooting or anything like that. Hard to believe that Amazon dont know how to do this already - so why on earth they dont just tell you how to do it, i dont know.

The UK app store doesnt have lovefilm streaming app though. I think for one or both of two reasons.
1. UK kindle fire hds come with it preinstalled, so no-one ever needs to download it anyway.
2. It has interdependancies with other files so isnt a seperate app in the true sense anyway.

I'm still looking into this with the hope of being able to get the app on the 8.9" somehow.
---
Offline tidgey2
03 Feb 2013, 12:42 PM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

Wink RE: got a 8.9" Kindle Fire HD for christmas from brother in America. Nightmare.

(19 Jan 2013 05:59 PM)snowathlete Wrote:  your probably right, but i dont think Kindle have confirmed that the 8.9" will ever be released in the UK, but i am guessing that it will be. I am trying to get a definitive answer from them on whether it will be and when. If i have to wait a month then that is one thing, if i have to wait 9 months then thats a different thing.

I have made some progress though, i have figured out how to swap out the US app store for the UK one. Its easy and didnt involve any rooting or anything like that. Hard to believe that Amazon dont know how to do this already - so why on earth they dont just tell you how to do it, i dont know.

The UK app store doesnt have lovefilm streaming app though. I think for one or both of two reasons.
1. UK kindle fire hds come with it preinstalled, so no-one ever needs to download it anyway.
2. It has interdependancies with other files so isnt a seperate app in the true sense anyway.

I'm still looking into this with the hope of being able to get the app on the 8.9" somehow.

Hi, I'm having the same problems. Just wondered if you could tell me how you swapped US app store for the UK one. I haven't been able too any apps from Amazon. :-( I'd be grateful for any advice.
---
Offline snowathlete
03 Feb 2013, 07:09 PM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

(03 Feb 2013 12:42 PM)tidgey2 Wrote:  
(19 Jan 2013 05:59 PM)snowathlete Wrote:  your probably right, but i dont think Kindle have confirmed that the 8.9" will ever be released in the UK, but i am guessing that it will be. I am trying to get a definitive answer from them on whether it will be and when. If i have to wait a month then that is one thing, if i have to wait 9 months then thats a different thing.

Hi, I'm having the same problems. Just wondered if you could tell me how you swapped US app store for the UK one. I haven't been able too any apps from Amazon. :-( I'd be grateful for any advice.

You'll need to register your device in the UK, but that alone wont fix this.
But you can get the UK app store on your 8.9 kindle. It's very easy.
Simply go on the internet with the browser on your kindle at this amazon URL and download the UK app store by pressing the button:
http://www.amazon.co.uk...

It's that simple to get the UK app store. Amazon obviously must know this already but they aren't telling us. I think thats appaulling.

What you CAN'T get is the UK Lovefilm App because it isnt on the App store. They preload it with UK kindle fire 7" so there is no need for it to be available on the App Store. It may also have dependancies with other apps (in other words, it may not be a standalone app either) I dont know. If anyone can identify the Lovefilm App from their 7" version files and manually test copying a version across to an 8.9" to see if it works or not, that would be helpful.
---

Currently Reading:Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan Last Book I Read:King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence Favourite Genres:Fantasy / Sci-fi / HorrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations