Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Tripods trilogy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Will Hadcroft
03 Dec 2012, 08:41 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Tripods trilogy

I bought The White Mountains, the first of John Christopher's Tripods trilogy from Audible. I've always loved the books, but had forgotten just how fast paced the books are compared to the BBC television series. William Giamara reads it well, putting on country voices for cousins Will and Henry, and a reasonbly good French accent for Beanpole.

I've now ordered the second book, The City of Gold and Lead, which is action packed!

The White Mountains
Will Hadcroft - author of Mia & the Woodshed Cats, the Anne Droyd series for young people, the surrealistic teen novel The Blueprint, and the Asperger autobiography The Feeling's Unmutual.
Offline J.S.Egan Reading
03 Dec 2012, 08:45 PM | Post: #2

Just This Guy, You Know?

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

RE: Tripods trilogy

Loved these when I was a lad. Never saw the TV show. Still remember the story write well so they must have been well written.
Offline Will Hadcroft
03 Dec 2012, 10:59 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Hi J,

The television series was produced in 1984/5 as The Tripods. You will find it on YouTube and on BBC DVD. They filmed and broadcast books one and two, and then because of a cashflow problem at the BBC, simply didn't bother to make the final book (BBC bosses Michael Grade and Jonathan Powell had little regard for science-fiction, which also played a part).

A hindrance to the pacing of the TV series was the decision to pad it out with additional storylines focusing on the boys. So it was called The Tripods, but there seemed not to be that many Tripods actually in it!

On the plus side, the imagery and tone of the series were very faithful to the books. The Tripods themselves were realised by intercutting shots of animated models with full sized feet (swung about on the end of a crane!), which worked effectively. And for the time, the alien Masters and City of Gold were stunning.

But as you say, the books are so evocative because they are so well written. John Christopher died in February after a long illness. The world is poorer for it.
Will Hadcroft - author of Mia & the Woodshed Cats, the Anne Droyd series for young people, the surrealistic teen novel The Blueprint, and the Asperger autobiography The Feeling's Unmutual.
Offline Frank Tayell Reading John Scalzi
15 Nov 2013, 11:53 AM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

The Tripods series is one of the best audio books I've heard! If you've enjoyed them, can I recommend "The Death of Grass" Also by John Christopher, also read by William Gaminara, also available from audible. 
It's a far bleaker tale, but a fantasticly realistic one in which a global famine brings an end to the world as we know it.
---
Offline LindaGruchy Reading The Chandelier Ballroom by Elizabeth Lord
15 Nov 2013, 01:53 PM | Post: #5

Queen of the Typos

Thanked 41 times

What I Read

I only caught some of this on TV and would love to read it through. Thanks.
Offline davidwailing Reading
15 Nov 2013, 02:01 PM | Post: #6

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

I've always wanted to read these, having watched The Tripods on TV back in the Eighties. Er, from my crib, obviously.

It was obvious there was tons of padding added to the story, but the second series had some great visuals for the time.
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk

Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Women's LitFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:John Scalzi Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Post Apocalyptic, Near Future Sci-fi, Political Satire
Currently Reading:The Chandelier Ballroom by Elizabeth Lord Last Book I Read:Fake Kate Favourite Genres:crime. women's fiction
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Contemporary fiction, humour, mystery, thriller, SFFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations