Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

General Book Club Chat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Jaxom Reading 33AD, The Time Hunters and Immortal
07 Sep 2010, 10:39 AM | Post: #1

Posting Freak

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

General Book Club Chat

Here is a thread for General Book Club Chat.
You can write about anything you wish.
Please be aware though if you are going to write about anything to do with the current book being read that is currently in a locked thread you must use Lou's Spoiler Feature to avoid revealing the plot etc. before people have read a book.
Use Spoiler to stop text from spoiling a book for others.
See here.
Have Fun
Jack
30 Sep 2010, 01:44 PM | Post: #2

Posting Freak

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

What do you want from this Book Club?

Hi All.
Just thought we could now start a thread called "What do you want from this Book Club?" as we are about to enter a world where there are three books either being suggested, voted on, read and then discussed.
For those wanting a recap: (Readers on Kindle will not see the coloured text well)
Month 1: Suggestions for 21 days on books to read. 7 days to vote on the top ten books.
Month 2: Reading the winning book.
Month 3: Discussing the book.

At the moment we are only on our first book but soon the second book will be up for the top ten vote. there will eventually be an overlapping of three books over a three month stretch.

Book One, Book Two and Book Three

Currently this is how it stands.
Reading, Suggesting book and voting, None as yet
Next month it will be Discussing the book. Reading the winning book. Suggestions for 21 days on books to read. 7 days to vote on the top ten books.

How we are going to approach discussing the book is up to KUFers. Do you want to have some sort of structure to follow like set points or questions on each book to examine?
If it is a Classic we could follow some sort of GCSE/A level note format? There should be bags on free online suggestions.

So tell us how you want this Book club to grow?
Offline Susanne Reading The Rose Petal Beach by Dorothy Koomson
01 Oct 2010, 12:44 PM | Post: #3

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

RE: General Book Club Chat

Some sort of structure would be good - with certain aspects of the chosen book being reviewed/given points and then a general "free review" of anything else one would like to say about the book. I also thought it might be a good idea to keep the reviews under wraps until the end of the period, so that no-one is biased by anyone else's reviews, but then again may be not. People will probably want to see what others have written, if only out of interest.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
31 Oct 2010, 12:47 AM | Post: #4

Posting Freak

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Could a member who is not a mod please post a test reply here as an other member has said they are locked out.
Thanks
Jax
Offline ringz Reading War of the worlds, H.G. Wells
31 Oct 2010, 01:49 AM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(31 Oct 2010 12:47 AM)Jaxom Wrote:  Could a member who is not a mod please post a test reply here as an other member has said they are locked out.
Thanks
Jax

A test post as requested

Martyn
31 Oct 2010, 09:41 AM | Post: #6

Posting Freak

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(31 Oct 2010 01:49 AM)ringz Wrote:  A test post as requested

Martyn

Thanks Martyn.
your post has been most helpful.
Jax

posted from Kindle.
Offline LexiRevellian Reading A book which I have forgotten to add here
31 Oct 2010, 09:52 AM | Post: #7

Keen kuffer

Thanked 71 times

What I Read

As the author of the first book to be discussed, I think I should stay out of the discussions entirely, unless invited - of course if any of you have some query I'd be happy to answer it.

I don't want to inhibit frank debate about Remix. Please don't feel you have to tiptoe around in order not to hurt my feelings.

Cool
Lexi
website
[/url] [Image: 51WwAD9NMtL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51da-%2BYkhRL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iBX4NnxoL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41UMQk6bFIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51qTzauJb7L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51tzp0Z0gmL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51gPJw7MmjL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 611cl4LH%2BqL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Daphne Reading Wanted by Tim Arnot
31 Oct 2010, 10:30 AM | Post: #8

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

(31 Oct 2010 09:52 AM)LexiRevellian Wrote:  I don't want to inhibit frank debate about Remix. Please don't feel you have to tiptoe around in order not to hurt my feelings.

Cool

...sound of knives sharpening on whetstone...Wink
[Image: 51F7xHVzRlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51elwZ0zy4L._SL95.jpg]
Daphne Coleridge | Twitter
Offline LexiRevellian Reading A book which I have forgotten to add here
31 Oct 2010, 10:42 AM | Post: #9

Keen kuffer

Thanked 71 times

What I Read

(31 Oct 2010 10:30 AM)Daphne Wrote:  
(31 Oct 2010 09:52 AM)LexiRevellian Wrote:  I don't want to inhibit frank debate about Remix. Please don't feel you have to tiptoe around in order not to hurt my feelings.

Cool

...sound of knives sharpening on whetstone...Wink

I'm behind that friendly blue sofa for November... Hiding
Lexi
website
[/url] [Image: 51WwAD9NMtL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51da-%2BYkhRL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iBX4NnxoL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41UMQk6bFIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51qTzauJb7L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51tzp0Z0gmL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51gPJw7MmjL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 611cl4LH%2BqL._SL95.jpg]
31 Oct 2010, 07:24 PM | Post: #10

Posting Freak

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(31 Oct 2010 10:30 AM)Daphne Wrote:  ...sound of knives sharpening on whetstone...Wink

Oh that's what I could hear in the background Whistle

@Lexi
I think we may need to call on you at some point to explain Spoiler Pondering

Currently Reading:33AD, The Time Hunters and Immortal Last Book I Read:tigers and devils Favourite Genres:Sci Fi & Fantasy
Currently Reading:The Rose Petal Beach by Dorothy Koomson Last Book I Read:The Summer Son by Craig Lancaster Favourite Genres:contemporary fiction, literary fiction, crime/thriller,Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:War of the worlds, H.G. Wells Last Book I Read:Secret Adversary Agatha Christieistie Favourite Genres:Sci Fi, Crime
Currently Reading:A book which I have forgotten to add here Last Book I Read:Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child Favourite Genres:Commercial FictionFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Wanted by Tim Arnot Last Book I Read:I Like You For Murder: Emily Nemchick Favourite Genres:Eclectic ReaderFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations