Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Front-lit Colour eInk Reader announced

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline frogplate Reading The Luck of Han’anga - Thomas Watson
13 Nov 2012, 11:42 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

Front-lit Colour eInk Reader announced

This post was last modified: 13 Nov 2012 11:44 PM by frogplate.
PocketBook have announced a front-lit colour eInk reader. The device is planned to have a 4,096 colour touch screen but isn't due to arrive until June 2013.

I very much doubt we will see this ereader in the UK, but it gives some indication of when the next major step in this technology will appear. There is also no indication of the contrast ratio the display will be able to deliver.
Offline jzmc1
14 Nov 2012, 09:21 AM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

RE: Front-lit Colour eInk Reader announced

very much looking forward to seeing what this will be like - thanks for the info
Offline alexroddie Reading The Terror by Dan Simmons
14 Nov 2012, 09:35 AM | Post: #3

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

Brilliant--here is the future of digital display technology! It will take years, but at the end of the process we will have a full colour screen with high definition and a fast refresh rate, capable of being viewed in direct sunlight and complete darkness. It will be vastly more power efficient than current LCD or AMOLED panels and will revolutionise computing (and ereading!)
Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
14 Nov 2012, 09:50 AM | Post: #4

Administrator

Thanked 85 times

What I Read

Certainly looks very nice. I'm wondering if Amazon have missed a trick with the Triton screen. It's been around for a while now, but nobody has released a production eReader thus far.
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
Offline frogplate Reading The Luck of Han’anga - Thomas Watson
14 Nov 2012, 01:14 PM | Post: #5

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

There does appear to be one colour ereader with a first generation Triton display in production - the Ectaco jetBook Color. However the reviews suggest that the colours are less than vibrant.

It is not clear whether the second generation display is actually the same as the original but with front-lighting added. However as the Paperwhite has shown this can dramatically improve the contrast.

Currently Reading:The Luck of Han’anga - Thomas Watson Last Book I Read:The Mongoliad, Book 3 Favourite Genres:Cyberpunk, Hard Sci-Fi, European DetectiveFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Terror by Dan Simmons Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Historical fiction, literary classics, landscape writingFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan Last Book I Read:King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence Favourite Genres:Fantasy / Sci-fi / HorrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations