Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Difference between Paperwhite vs Paperwhite 3G (apart of 3G obviously)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline M.M. Soune
08 Nov 2012, 06:18 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

Difference between Paperwhite vs Paperwhite 3G (apart of 3G obviously)

This post was last modified: 08 Nov 2012 06:24 PM by M.M. Soune.
Hello All,

So I am thinking of buying the new Kindle Paperwhite, I am making this post in the hope of receiving a clear answer (I simply cannot find a clear answer on the amazon website) to the following question:
What is the difference between the Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Paperwhite 3G?
Obviously apart from being able to download books using the 3G network without having to pay for the data transfer costs (as I understand it does not offer free 3G web browsing). I ask as in the US they have something like the ad and ad-free versions of Kindles, is this the same? Or is the 3G book download capability the one and only difference/advantage?
Personally I don't foresee being away from a wifi, even when abroad (I think most all hotels have wifi nowadays), for so long that I will absolutely need to download a book right away from a 3G network, so if that is the only difference/advantage I will save myself a few quid and go for the basic version. Would appreciate your opinions/views as to the advantages of the 3G version.

So thank you in advance for your help and advice Smile
---
Offline Phil Reading The Martian by Andy Weir
08 Nov 2012, 07:42 PM | Post: #2

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 7 times

What I Read

RE: Difference between Paperwhite vs Paperwhite 3G (apart of 3G obviously)

This post was last modified: 08 Nov 2012 07:44 PM by Phil.
I think you'd be fine with the standard Paperwhite. Its the same Kindle other than the loss of 3G and the Wifi model being slightly lighter.

A year ago I originally bought the Kindle Keyboard 3G. I thought it better to have the 3G than not, but I almost never used the 3G. I tend to load my Kindle with plenty of books so I've never needed to download a book over 3G. I did try using the web browser a couple of times over 3G but its wasn't a good experience. The 3G signal was ok but the browser was horrible.

Recently I decided to upgrade to the Paperwhite (or downgraded depending on how you look at it) and I had no issue with ditching the 3G. I'm really happy with the wifi only Paperwhite its lighter than my old kindle and having the in built in light makes it much better. I won't miss not having 3G.
Offline l_macd
08 Nov 2012, 08:44 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 2 times

This post was last modified: 08 Nov 2012 08:44 PM by l_macd.
(08 Nov 2012 06:18 PM)M.M. Soune Wrote:  Or is the 3G book download capability the one and only difference/advantage?

Yes that is the only advantage (oh and you can also look up wikipedia via the 3G connection, that and Amazon are the only websites you can access).

Unless you travel a lot and need to be able to connect via the 3G network to buy and download your books from Amazon, it's simply not worth the extra cash for the 3G model.

It used to be (back in the days of the Kindle Keyboard) that you could use the 3G connection for general web browsing so a lot of people used it for things like checking their email when away from their home wifi connection, but since then the 3G has been curtailed for use on Amazon & Wikipedia only.

In America you can buy Kindles 'with special offers' that are $20 cheaper than the standard models and display ads on the screensaver and at the bottom of your home page. These are only sold in America (although you can import them), and apart from showing ads they are no different from the standard models.
Offline M.M. Soune
08 Nov 2012, 08:59 PM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

Thank you to both Phil and l_macd for their experiences. Both very very helpful and I have just placed an order for the regular Paperwhite. Hopefully it will be here soon Smile

Thanks again!
---
Online sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
09 Nov 2012, 09:20 AM | Post: #5

Super Moderator

Thanked 126 times

What I Read

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have a Kindle Keyboard with wi-fi and seeing as I have well over 400 books on it, I don't think I am likely to run out of things to read any time in the near future! I say save the money and use it to buy some books.

Hope your Paperwhite arrives soon and you have fun with it. Have a good look round the forum and you will soon have it full of books. Smile
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up

Currently Reading:The Martian by Andy Weir Last Book I Read:The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho Favourite Genres:Thrillers / CrimeFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard Last Book I Read:To the Grave by Steve Robinson Favourite Genres:I don't mind, as long as it's good!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations