UK Kindle Users Forum
Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: eBooks, Books and Audio Books Forum (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: General Books Discussion (/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? (/thread-9664.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? - Mads Sorensen - 15 Aug 2012 07:23 PM

(14 Aug 2012 12:40 PM)Andy Barrett Wrote:  I think it would be wise to change it, George.
It's a shame you had this title in mind and now it's gone, but it would save confusion for those searching Amazon without the aid of a direct link.
Could you adapt the title by combining it with another word you character uses in the same sentence? Diseased Mind, or Diseased Heart?
Having said all that, one of my novels, A Long Time Dead, shares its title with lots of other books, and I don't yet know of anyone who has had problems.

The way I look at it, the main purpose of the title, like the cover, is to sell the book. Try to imagine what'll grab you if you scroll through page after page of covers and you don't have a clue who the author is and what he is writing about. Once the disinterested third party has stopped scrolling, he is on the path to your book.

Hope this helps,
Mads

RE: Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? - Tony Richards - 23 Aug 2012 04:02 PM

There are loads of books out there which have the same titles. And, as has been pointed out, there's no copyright on titles. So I honestly wouldn't sweat it too much, George.

RE: Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? - GazzyG - 23 Aug 2012 04:34 PM

It depends on how personal the title is to you.

I wouldn't like the same title as another book, but that's just me, I'm a bit... touchy.

If it's not too personal yet it still describes your book perfectly enough, then go ahead!

RE: Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? - George Hamilton - 23 Aug 2012 09:53 PM

Thanks, Mads, Tony and Gazzy.