UK Kindle Users Forum
Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: eBooks, Books and Audio Books Forum (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: General Books Discussion (/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? (/thread-9664.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? - davidwailing - 14 Aug 2012 10:37 PM

You think you've got problems, George - one of my books is called Bang. Search for that in the Kindle store and see what you get! Confused

In fact I found three separate fiction ebooks called The Disease, but I agree that you shouldn't let this put you off if you are convinced that's the right title for your work. Kristine Cayne has had a huge success in the past year with her book Deadly Obsession, despite there being dozens of others with that title!

Plus, as Dorte says, you can't copyright a title so they are usually fair game. Thumbs Up

RE: Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? - George Hamilton - 15 Aug 2012 08:11 AM

Thanks for your advice, Grace, Dorte and David. As far as author names go, my books are still being linked with the orange tanned American actor of the same name, despite me trying to get this changed for over a year.

RE: Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? - Nick Wastnage - 15 Aug 2012 10:39 AM

After reading this thread, the jury seems to be split on the issue. I always do a search on a title before I use it, and would probably choose another one if I found it had already been used. However, I think if you're really sold on your title and believe in the book – which I know we all do – then stick with it. Readers will be attracted by title and a cover, read the blurb, and then make a decision to buy or not.

RE: Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? - Steve Robinson - 15 Aug 2012 11:05 AM

Don't worry about it George. It's really not a problem unless you have the same name and title as someone else. And if other books with the same title are doing well, yours will also feature in more searches. I'm sure some writers have used titles from popular books with that upside in mind. None of my titles so far are unique

RE: Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? - nigel p bird - 15 Aug 2012 11:21 AM

I'd say stick with what you have if you're happy with it.

I was in a similar position with Pulp Ink. It was originally going to be called Pulp Tones. Not long before we released, someone got in touch to say they were known as Pulp Tones on Twitter and on their blog. In fact, he was pretty upset about it.

Of course it hadn't been deliberate, but I was following the guy and must have picked up the name without thinking - we did Google and made and Amazon search for a book title and found nothing. We changed our title to avoid hostilities building.

I've also been in that position with another book. When it was released, it was the first to my knowledge. Not long after, another arrived. Mine was taken down after some issues around the publisher at the time. Now, when it is re-released soon by another publisher, it will no longer be first. I'm sticking with the title anyway.

There was a suggestion recently from a good friend and someone who knows what he's talking about that I change the title. I'm not sure, but the beauty of ebooks is that it can be done without any problem.

Good luck!

RE: Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? - joo - 15 Aug 2012 11:28 AM

You could even call the book "The Disease (this book is better than others with this name)" Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

RE: Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? - JamesParkin - 15 Aug 2012 03:40 PM

I remember being told that there is no copyright in titles. I really must get down to writing "Pride and Prejudice" soon, followed by its sequel "Great Expectations".

RE: Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? - Reginald D Reader - 15 Aug 2012 03:59 PM

Of course not, you just make your book better than the other one Smile

RE: Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? - George Hamilton - 15 Aug 2012 04:58 PM

(15 Aug 2012 11:28 AM)joo Wrote:  You could even call the book "The Disease (this book is better than others with this name)" Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

That would be a bit of a mouthful to tweet, Joo. Huh

RE: Do I change my novel's title because one by same name already exists? - George Hamilton - 15 Aug 2012 04:59 PM

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread.