UK Kindle Users Forum
Books being republished under a different title <bit of a rant> - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: eBooks, Books and Audio Books Forum (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: General Books Discussion (/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Books being republished under a different title <bit of a rant> (/thread-9659.html)

Books being republished under a different title <bit of a rant> - hayleylsl - 13 Aug 2012 08:30 PM

Urrrgh i have just started reading my "new" book (a paperback-Sacrilege!! ) to find it isn't new at all and just an old book republished with a different title (Dial 999 by Les Pringle which was previously titled "Blue lights and long nights") I should have perhaps looked at the back cover more closely when i picked it up in Waterstone's but is had a different description of the book on the back blurb from my original copy of the book, and in small letters it announced the fact it had been published under a different title before..

Tres annoying- I had a book voucher for Waterstones from my nan and thought I'd treat myself.

I half thought like complaining but I guess i should have read the back more closely..

What do you guys think about this practice?

RE: Books being republished under a different title <bit of a rant> - Susanne - 14 Aug 2012 07:11 AM

They did the same with Deborah Moggach's book, These Foolish Things. It was re-launched as The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel after the film of that name, and is the same book. It really should have been made obvious that it was the same book.

RE: Books being republished under a different title <bit of a rant> - Jennie Lee - 14 Aug 2012 08:20 AM

Oops -- guilty Undecided

I've just published Moongolly on Smashwords under the title of "Spirit of Harmonia" because the e-version doesn't sell well on Amazon and someone suggested that it could be because of the title.

However, the blurb is the same and I put on the front cover "Book One of the Moongolly Series". Smashwords didn't ask if it had been previously published under another title but I believe Amazon does.

RE: Books being republished under a different title <bit of a rant> - Daphne - 14 Aug 2012 08:26 AM

John Wyndham's Midwich Cuckoos crops up in paperback with the film name Village of the Damned, but This version demonstrates how it can be made nice and clear on the front cover so as not to confuse readers. As for me, I still call that nice peanut and chocolate confection a "Marathon" long after someone decided to rebrand it as Snickers.

RE: Books being republished under a different title <bit of a rant> - Susanne - 14 Aug 2012 09:04 AM

(14 Aug 2012 08:26 AM)Daphne Wrote:  As for me, I still call that nice peanut and chocolate confection a "Marathon" long after someone decided to rebrand it as Snickers.

And I still call Cif its original name of Jif! Big Grin

RE: Books being republished under a different title <bit of a rant> - J.S.Egan - 14 Aug 2012 09:36 AM

Guilty, m'laud Blush

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13380636-the-long-reason-why-kayleigh-g-loved-baseball
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13695986-the-long-reason-why-katie-b-loved-baseball

The first publication was under a pen-name, and when I re-published under my own name I didn't want all the copyright 'bots' picking up on the title and accusing me of plagiarizing myself, so...

RE: Books being republished under a different title <bit of a rant> - Rosen Trevithick - 14 Aug 2012 11:45 AM

What's to stop me re-releasing 'Seesaw' as 'Weesaw' and getting a whole new bunch of free days? It is a dubious practice (although I'm sure there are some exceptions.)

RE: Books being republished under a different title <bit of a rant> - nikihb - 14 Aug 2012 12:45 PM

I had exactly the same - I had both the Les Pringle books on Kindle and then they re-released "Blue Lights & Long Nights" as "Dial 999" I thought it was a different book, so purchased only to find as you did, that it's the same. Obviously Amazon allowed a refund

RE: Books being republished under a different title <bit of a rant> - Tony Richards - 24 Aug 2012 06:54 PM

(14 Aug 2012 07:11 AM)Susanne Wrote:  They did the same with Deborah Moggach's book, These Foolish Things. It was re-launched as The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel after the film of that name, and is the same book. It really should have been made obvious that it was the same book.

Publishers used to put the original book's title and the movie title on the front cover, and make clear which was which. This is really bad!

RE: Books being republished under a different title <bit of a rant> - Dorte Hummelshoj - 24 Aug 2012 07:18 PM

I am glad to see I am not the only one.

I relaunched "The Cosy Knave" in the UK under the title "Murder deLight" when someone in here said the American title did not make sense to her. But it says 2nd edition, and I have marketed it very clearly as a European edition of "The Cosy Knave" as I don´t want to cheat any reader.

Apart from the new title, which seems to do the trick, I have the advantage of being able to sell the American book for $ 3 and the UK one for £ 0.77.