UK Kindle Users Forum
Sony Announcement about ePub format? - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Kindle E-Ink Forums (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Other eReaders (/forum-26.html)
+---- Forum: General Discussion (/forum-65.html)
+----- Forum: Sony eReaders (/forum-27.html)
+----- Thread: Sony Announcement about ePub format? (/thread-9554.html)

Sony Announcement about ePub format? - GlynThincs - 06 Aug 2012 12:49 PM

According to the New York Times last Thursday, Sony Electronics plans to announce that by the end of the year it will sell digital books only in the ePub format, an open standard created by a group including publishers like Random House and HarperCollins.
What does this mean for Sony users and Kindle books?
NYT link

RE: Sony Announcement about ePub format? - MartinLake - 10 Dec 2012 02:46 PM

I believe that Smashwords uses ePub to send out books to retailers such as Sony so there may be little significant impact for indie authors who use Smashwords.

The Lost King: Resistance
Wasteland: The Lost King by Martin Lake
Artful by Martin Lake
Nuggets by Martin Lake
Mr Toad's Wedding
For King and Country by Martin Lake
The Big School by Martin Lake
Outcasts by Martin Lake

martinlakewriting.wordpress.com
Twitter: @martinlake14

RE: Sony Announcement about ePub format? - Andrew Ashling - 04 Aug 2013 05:06 PM

I'm not surprised. Epub is the de facto standard for ebooks.

RE: Sony Announcement about ePub format? - Michael Cargill - 05 Aug 2013 07:11 AM

Off the top of my head, I can't see how this will negatively effect any authors.

Sony tried (as they always do) to make their own ebook format but it seems that they're abandoning that and going with epub.

RE: Sony Announcement about ePub format? - Susan Lohrer - 06 Aug 2013 03:55 PM

I'm not sure it would make any difference at all unless there are some Sony products out there that don't read the ePub format. I have a (rather elderly) PRS-600, and it reads ePub books just fine. Most end users may never even notice anything has changed unless they've been deliberately buying the Sony-specific format.

RE: Sony Announcement about ePub format? - skyreacher36 - 09 Aug 2013 10:58 PM

hi there I used to have the same ebook geez had nothing but trouble updating ebooks etc had to get a kindle instead, fortunately I use calibre, a free ebook management software that converts  EPUB TXT and others to MOBI formats that can be read by kindle.
  Due to not needing its own software (simply opens up as its own hard drive) it just appears on your computer and all your books live in documents, you can just pour them in, so far I have 488, not bad going.
  Good luck hun