UK Kindle Users Forum
KDP Select - To continue or not? - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Authors and Publishers (/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: Writing, Publishing and Marketing eBooks (/forum-94.html)
+---- Forum: Marketing eBooks (/forum-101.html)
+---- Thread: KDP Select - To continue or not? (/thread-6913.html)

Pages: 1 2

KDP Select - To continue or not? - TresaC - 16 Feb 2012 12:44 PM

Any of us that signed up titles to KDP Select when it began will soon be reaching to point where the subscription finishes so I am wondering what people are doing next.

Will you continue (don't forget that unless you uncheck the box you will be automatically renewed!) or will you leave the programme?

Having read mixed reports about the number of Prime users being lower than Amazon thought, plus many of the users that joined following Christmas coming to the end of their free Prime membership, I wonder if there will an even bigger drop off.

I have done reasonably well with free days but the borrows have been negligible. I hope that a fair percentage of those free downloads get read too! Readers on this forum seem to download books they actually read, and are great at telling everyone when they have found something new they like. I get the feeling from other forums that some just grab anything that is free just like in the supermarket.

I don't have anything on Smashwords etc so the exclusivity is not an issue for the titles but I personally don't particularly like the fact it stops authors/publishers going elsewhere as a principle.

So are you staying or are you going?

RE: KDP Select - To continue or not? - Lady Hawk - 16 Feb 2012 01:02 PM

well, I haven't seen any negativity , but then again I haven't seen a positive outcome either. I won't be renewing as I want my book available to read on all e-readers, not just Kindle.

It would be good for all authors, if the amount of freebies lessen.

RE: KDP Select - To continue or not? - TresaC - 16 Feb 2012 01:05 PM

(16 Feb 2012 01:02 PM)Lady Hawk Wrote:  well, I haven't seen any negativity , but then again I haven't seen a positive outcome either. I won't be renewing as I want my book available to read on all e-readers, not just Kindle.

It would be good for all authors, if the amount of freebies lessen.

I am in two minds about renewing. I will use up an odd free day or two but agree with you that it would be good to have less freebies. Mainly because I think a lot of readers will only consider freebies and not take into account the other titles.

RE: KDP Select - To continue or not? - Lady Hawk - 16 Feb 2012 01:16 PM

And it's certainly creating less sales for other authors.

RE: KDP Select - To continue or not? - LindaGruchy - 16 Feb 2012 01:21 PM

As my sales in the US have been poor and my borows noexistent, I haven't really seen much of a result, but I opnly signed up after Xmas when I pout Wargelfdd up for free promotion, basically to raise the profile of DISW. Didn't work particularly well, I did get about 100 free downloads in this country, but I think that was friends and friends of friends. I had 76 in the US, of which at least one led to the reader downloading DISW. But what I haven't seen is an upsurge of people downloading DISW as a result of being inticed by the excerpt in Wargeld. So either they haven't read Wargeld or they're not interested.

What risks/threats would I have from not opting out of the progam? I don't think I (personally) have any risks. The borrow dividend was only about 35 cents than a royalty would be, but that's academic this time. Next time if there are borrows not buys it might matter.

I'm not compelled to offer the books for free but I have the oportunity to do so.

I have no wish to offer through Smashwords etc just now. That might change.

I'm still in the learning process but until I feel disadvantaged by the program, i think i will stay in.

What I do feel disadvantaged by is this feeling that my novel, 100,000 words, is overpriced at £2, in comparison with others which are less than half the price just because that's the going rate for crime. If I can get sales up without having to drop my price, through using the Select program, then good.

RE: KDP Select - To continue or not? - davidwailing - 16 Feb 2012 01:29 PM

Based on my own experience so far, I am tempted to stay for another 90 days. I don't believe anything else other than the promo days would have raised my profile anywhere near as much, or that I would be selling as much as I currently am on any other platform or website. (Not that I'm breaking any records here, but I wasn't really selling anything beforehand!)

I'm not convinced the KDP Select programme will last out the year - the ebook world moves very fast. I think by the end of 2012 there will be other promotional opportunities. But right now, it's the best game in town.

RE: KDP Select - To continue or not? - TresaC - 16 Feb 2012 01:37 PM

I think you may well be right, David. At the moment all of this is still very new and we need to play a bit to find out what works.

A plus is definitely the exposure that many would not get without it. We keep learning and hopefully are able to keep adapting too!

RE: KDP Select - To continue or not? - Paul Easton - 24 Jun 2012 02:29 PM

(16 Feb 2012 12:44 PM)TresaC Wrote:  I hope that a fair percentage of those free downloads get read too!.....I get the feeling from other forums that some just grab anything that is free just like in the supermarket.

Thank you for that - I was wondering whether it was just me who thought that, so I'm glad I'm not alone. Wink

RE: KDP Select - To continue or not? - Rosen Trevithick - 24 Jun 2012 02:38 PM

Most of my books are now in their second Select period. I've experienced positive results second time around, even for books that did well in their first promotion.

RE: KDP Select - To continue or not? - L K Jay - 28 Jun 2012 12:21 PM

I'm experiencing a massive slow down in the amount of books that get downloaded when I do a KDP select promotion and I'm wondering why. Is the market becoming saturated with free books? I don't know. It's still a good way of getting my work out there but still.