UK Kindle Users Forum
Will digital completely wipe-out paper books? - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Authors and Publishers (/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: Writing, Publishing and Marketing eBooks (/forum-94.html)
+--- Thread: Will digital completely wipe-out paper books? (/thread-6823.html)

Will digital completely wipe-out paper books? - Colin R. Parsons - 12 Feb 2012 09:28 AM

I, as an author had to address this issue. I'm Colin R. Parsons, a children's/YA fantasy author from the UK and I do a lot of book-signings. I've just started a tour as I write this post. I also own a Kindle which I had for Christmas 2011. I take it with me when I need something at hand, but I also read paperback books when I want to relax with a coffee in my living-room or study.
There are a vast amount of readers now reading through various devices, such as the Kindle and many other consoles.
I meet loads of bookworms and even I thought this is it, now that digital is in full swing...paper books will become like CD's and stroll off gracefully into the sunset. Downloaded books are easy to use, convenient, light-weight, readable in any size character. You can carry lots of books around without being weighed down and so forth.
But now I'm not so convinced. People still like to read real book's and that's no disrespect to digital material. I've asked customers who own devices and they love reading off a screen, but they also like the old fashioned way of reading. There are also many people out there that only read paperback or hardback books and will never buy a Kindle.
Myself, I love doing book-signings and meeting people. I love the look of glee on readers faces when I sign a copy of my book and dedicate it especailly to them. I know you can have a signed copy on digital, but honestly there is nothing like having a bookshelf with a score of colourful books in a beautiful bookcase.
As an end to my thread; Digital has already taken over paper. It's good for the environment and in this world recession, a cheaper way to buy books. But to have a personally signed work of an author that you can keep forever and flick through the pages is priceless in itself.
I'm sure I'll get feedback from this post; positive and negative, but this is just my opinion.[/b]

RE: Will digital completely wipe-out paper books? - B J Burton - 13 Feb 2012 03:16 PM

Hi Tony.
Don't be too surprised if you don't get a lot of reaction. This is a topic that has been the subject of a lot of discussion on this forum already - most recently in a thread in General Book Discussion headed, 'A thought about ebooks vs paper books'.
For what it's worth, I'm with you on this one. I can't believe that print editions will disappear - they are just too popular.
I love taking my two-year-old granddaughter to a bookshop or a library. The excitement on her face as she trots towards the shelves and carries her prize off to a tiny chair is a treat to behold.
Like you, I've done book-signings, and I have an extensive collection of signed copies: it's fun, whether wielding the pen or clutching the signed copy. Jacqueline Wilson was signing in Plymouth on Saturday. It was great to see the crowd she attracted.
I'm not convinced about the environmental argument. Nearly all of the paper used in book printing now comes from sustainably managed forests, or has been re-cycled. Print copy books tend to be in circulation for a long time before being pulped. I have no idea about the energy consumption involved in making my Kindle, but I expect it will be thrown away when the battery will no longer hold charge after two or three years. Most of its components are derived from oil, which is hardly a sustainable resource.
I think we print lovers are safe for a long while yet. But, as I said on similar threads, ebooks have their advantages and it doesn't have to be all one or the other. We can cherish both.
Barry.

RE: Will digital completely wipe-out paper books? - Colin R. Parsons - 13 Feb 2012 04:44 PM

(13 Feb 2012 03:16 PM)B J Burton Wrote:  Hi Tony.
Don't be too surprised if you don't get a lot of reaction. This is a topic that has been the subject of a lot of discussion on this forum already - most recently in a thread in General Book Discussion headed, 'A thought about ebooks vs paper books'.
For what it's worth, I'm with you on this one. I can't believe that print editions will disappear - they are just too popular.
I love taking my two-year-old granddaughter to a bookshop or a library. The excitement on her face as she trots towards the shelves and carries her prize off to a tiny chair is a treat to behold.
Like you, I've done book-signings, and I have an extensive collection of signed copies: it's fun, whether wielding the pen or clutching the signed copy. Jacqueline Wilson was signing in Plymouth on Saturday. It was great to see the crowd she attracted.
I'm not convinced about the environmental argument. Nearly all of the paper used in book printing now comes from sustainably managed forests, or has been re-cycled. Print copy books tend to be in circulation for a long time before being pulped. I have no idea about the energy consumption involved in making my Kindle, but I expect it will be thrown away when the battery will no longer hold charge after two or three years. Most of its components are derived from oil, which is hardly a sustainable resource.
I think we print lovers are safe for a long while yet. But, as I said on similar threads, ebooks have their advantages and it doesn't have to be all one or the other. We can cherish both.
Barry.

Hi Barry, my name is Colin by the way.
Thanks for the input and I'm happy we're on the same page so to speak. I do read my Kindle, but I still find myself trying to turn the pages over at times. I'm glad you enjoyed the signing on the weekend, Jacqueline Wilson is a special author.
Colin

RE: Will digital completely wipe-out paper books? - B J Burton - 13 Feb 2012 06:18 PM

Sorry, Colin.
I must learn to read.
Then I must try to remember what I read.

RE: Will digital completely wipe-out paper books? - George - 13 Feb 2012 07:15 PM

(13 Feb 2012 06:18 PM)B J Burton Wrote:  Sorry, Colin.
I must learn to read.

I expect that in the not to distant future printed copies of fiction books will only have 20% of the fiction market. However, I think that paper copies of non-fiction books will rule the roost for a long time yet. Large images need large books and making ereaders big enough to accomadate those images would be silly.
Chapin

RE: Will digital completely wipe-out paper books? - Susanne - 13 Feb 2012 07:32 PM

As a reader, I took my time getting the Kindle, just because I love books and the physical feel of them, reading the blurb on the backpage, thumbing through the books I have on my bookshelf (and although I have given away loads of books, I still have a bookshelf or two of my favourite DTBs that I would not give away), looking at books that were obviously well used and theerfore loved, I was upset when I first pondered the Kindle that I would not get the same enjoyment out of it as I did from DTBs.

To an extent, that is still true, I do miss looking at a physical book and thinking about how much I enjoyed it or, in a bookshop, whether I would want to read it, but the Kindle has also opened up so many new avenues for me - the books I have read in the past year or so - which would not have been available for me in a bookshop, have changed my mind. I have discovered the most amazing books, truly amazing books on Kindle - and even more so, I have been able to read books at a reasonable price that I would never have come across by indie authors.

I also miss people giving me books for Christmas or birthdays beause they now know I read on the Kindle.

I've run out of space for physical books, yet I now have a library far bigger than I had before. It's a conundrum.

RE: Will digital completely wipe-out paper books? - Colin R. Parsons - 13 Feb 2012 08:17 PM

(13 Feb 2012 07:15 PM)Chapin Wrote:  
(13 Feb 2012 06:18 PM)B J Burton Wrote:  Sorry, Colin.
I must learn to read.

I expect that in the not to distant future printed copies of fiction books will only have 20% of the fiction market. However, I think that paper copies of non-fiction books will rule the roost for a long time yet. Large images need large books and making ereaders big enough to accomadate those images would be silly.
Chapin
That's a very good point Chapin, because I notice also that with my kindle the pic's are a weak part of the deal. It's good to know that books will still be with us a while yet though.
Colin

RE: Will digital completely wipe-out paper books? - Colin R. Parsons - 13 Feb 2012 08:24 PM

(13 Feb 2012 07:32 PM)Susanne Wrote:  As a reader, I took my time getting the Kindle, just because I love books and the physical feel of them, reading the blurb on the backpage, thumbing through the books I have on my bookshelf (and although I have given away loads of books, I still have a bookshelf or two of my favourite DTBs that I would not give away), looking at books that were obviously well used and theerfore loved, I was upset when I first pondered the Kindle that I would not get the same enjoyment out of it as I did from DTBs.

To an extent, that is still true, I do miss looking at a physical book and thinking about how much I enjoyed it or, in a bookshop, whether I would want to read it, but the Kindle has also opened up so many new avenues for me - the books I have read in the past year or so - which would not have been available for me in a bookshop, have changed my mind. I have discovered the most amazing books, truly amazing books on Kindle - and even more so, I have been able to read books at a reasonable price that I would never have come across by indie authors.

I also miss people giving me books for Christmas or birthdays beause they now know I read on the Kindle.

I've run out of space for physical books, yet I now have a library far bigger than I had before. It's a conundrum.
Hi Susanne
I suppose you can have the best of both worlds with the old and the new. I listen to my MP3 player, but I still miss the romance I used to have with records and the scratchy sound they made. We have to make way for progress, what's next I wonder?

RE: Will digital completely wipe-out paper books? - TresaC - 15 Feb 2012 01:55 PM

As others have said we have had great discussions here about this topic. One of the reasons I have been away is because of the launch of a tree book. An author in person with a pen signing physical books! Smile

If you have a few minutes and are prepared to have a little giggle, you might like to look at this link 8 Unexpected Downsides to Having an E-book!

RE: Will digital completely wipe-out paper books? - Colin R. Parsons - 15 Feb 2012 04:51 PM

(15 Feb 2012 01:55 PM)TresaC Wrote:  As others have said we have had great discussions here about this topic. One of the reasons I have been away is because of the launch of a tree book. An author in person with a pen signing physical books! Smile

If you have a few minutes and are prepared to have a little giggle, you might like to look at this link 8 Unexpected Downsides to Having an E-book!
Thank you Tresa for your input. Lovely to meet you on KUF. I'll check out that ebook.