UK Kindle Users Forum
Vote for my cover? - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Authors and Publishers (/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: Writing, Publishing and Marketing eBooks (/forum-94.html)
+---- Forum: Book Cover Design & Critique (/forum-100.html)
+---- Thread: Vote for my cover? (/thread-6426.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Vote for my cover? - skate - 24 Jan 2012 01:27 PM

(24 Jan 2012 01:01 PM)joo Wrote:  I just checked out the first placed book and on looking down through the books, that one caught my eye - as a particularly bad one. I think someone has more friends than you Kate.
The ones in 2nd and 3rd aren't that much better than it.

I don't really feel like I can comment, Joo, but thanks for saying that.

... I just need to find more friends! Whistle

RE: Vote for my cover? - LindaGruchy - 24 Jan 2012 01:32 PM

I found the same with photography comps where the winner is voted for. It's great if you have large cohort of friends willing to vote. The winner is decided on that rather than merit

RE: Vote for my cover? - joo - 24 Jan 2012 01:40 PM

I ran a photography competition in work last summer.
We have a satellite office of about 12 people and their boss entered 3 pics.
We did scoring by email with 3 points for first choice etc.
Funnily enough the other people in that office only voted for his 3. His one pic came in first place, but it was so good, even if all that office's votes were discounted he'd have won by a mile. It really tainted the vote (especially as 2 of them were not so good) so it felt as if he'd won the competition by cheating, rather than the genuine win it would have been.

RE: Vote for my cover? - skate - 24 Jan 2012 01:54 PM

So if I don't win, I can say it's because I don't have enough friends and if I do win it's because I got my friends to vote. Blush

It doesn't sound so good now.

But I still think it's a good cover - even if I says it, what shouldn't. Tongue

RE: Vote for my cover? - LindaGruchy - 24 Jan 2012 02:12 PM

No, that's not what I mean. I mean, it's not fair when it should be on merit alone, and I like yours best, with a couple of others which I like. But then I prefer the fantasy type pictures anyway. I think there's more imagination gone into them than people clutching at each other.

And it is a good cover. And by entering you're at least showing it off to people.

It caught my eye even before you put the link up and I would have quietly ignored the vote reqiuest if I didn't think your cover merited the vote.

RE: Vote for my cover? - skate - 24 Jan 2012 02:20 PM

(24 Jan 2012 02:12 PM)LindaGruchy Wrote:  No, that's not what I mean. I mean, it's not fair when it should be on merit alone, and I like yours best, with a couple of others which I like. But then I prefer the fantasy type pictures anyway. I think there's more imagination gone into them than people clutching at each other.

And it is a good cover. And by entering you're at least showing it off to people.

It caught my eye even before you put the link up and I would have quietly ignored the vote reqiuest if I didn't think your cover merited the vote.

It's okay, Linda, I know what you mean, but I really would have loved to win on merit. Thanks for your kind words.

This month is unusual on that site - there is actually a few with no people clutching each other. Most months it's a skinfest...though I hadn't realised till I'd sent mine in.

I'd love to get my family to vote - but I can't send my husband and 18 year old son to look at some of those covers! Blush

RE: Vote for my cover? - LindaGruchy - 25 Jan 2012 08:55 AM

I put this on my FB page, Kate. Should have thought of it yesterday but I was preoccupied and I haven't got used to this social media malarky yet. I hope it's not too late.

RE: Vote for my cover? - skate - 25 Jan 2012 09:04 AM

Wow! Thanks, Linda. Voting doesn't close until the 27th. Thank you so much! Big Grin

RE: Vote for my cover? - cannonfodder_uk - 25 Jan 2012 09:51 AM

I voted (some nice covers among that lot) and read the book synopsis, it may be on my 'to buy' list.
Still on the George R R Martin marathon!

Reading Kindle

RE: Vote for my cover? - skate - 25 Jan 2012 09:57 AM

George RR Martin? I won't hold my breath, then! It could be quite a while! Thanks for voting. Much appreciated.

Thanks for thinking of reading my book, too.