UK Kindle Users Forum
Books you have re-bought for Kindle - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: eBooks, Books and Audio Books Forum (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: General Books Discussion (/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Books you have re-bought for Kindle (/thread-460.html)

Pages: 1 2

Books you have re-bought for Kindle - licenced - 09 Oct 2010 07:34 PM

I never tend to re-read books - there's just so many new books to get through that, although I generally keep all my paperbacks from years past, I never think about going back to them.

However, I have two favourite books that I try to read every now and then:
- A Fire Upon The Deep, by Vernor Vinge
- Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance

The first is an awesomely impressive sci-fi space opera - I find Vinge's ideas and the way he expresses them to be brilliantly ahead of anything we have today, and yet he makes them easy to understand. A few of his books I love, but this was the first I read and I'll always have it at the top of the pile. If you like sci-fi then I would think you'll enjoy this book.

The second is only obliquely to do with maintaining a motorbike (I do ride one, but got into this book many years before I started) and not really about Zen. It's about a man's road trip across America with his son and how he copes with the thoughts and memories in his head as he goes, delving down into huge philosophical ideas, and, again, explaining them quite clearly. This book is part philosophy, part descriptive road-trip, partly a story of a man's struggle to maintain his relationships with his friends and family and also partly confession, all rolled into a few hundred pages.

Very different books, but I would recommend them to anyone.

I just went to Amazon to buy both, even though I own the paperbacks. Neither is currently available (in the UK at least, Vinge books are available on the US Kindle Store).

So, after a ramble, what this thread is about are those books that you love so much you often go back to - the ones you enjoy returning to so much that you've re-bought them for your Kindle (or would if you could), even though you have a copy already. Let us know what they are and why you return to them.

Dave

RE: Books you have re-bought for Kindle - Alex - 09 Oct 2010 07:49 PM

I have a few books that I read at least once a year. Probably the one I've re-read the most is The Eight by Katherine Neville, it's an epic mystery adventure that spans characters living across centuries.

I also love The Belgariad Series by David Eddings as well as several of his other series. I have just finished rereading The Elenium and The Tamuli also by David Eddings

More recently I have become enamoured with the Stookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris, I just find them good fun and entertaining although I do think Harris has been a bit lazy with rushing out her latest publications. The other reason these have been reread several times is their length, I can read through one in an afternoon and still have time to cook the tea.

I'm sure more of my favourite rereads will occur to me, I might come back and add to this thread Big Grin

RE: Books you have re-bought for Kindle - Kathy5hrs - 09 Oct 2010 08:10 PM

I have a list a mile long of books I need to replace for my kindle Thumbs Up

I do re read a lot of books, but I am a fast reader.

Up to now the only books I have been able to replace are James Rollins most of his are available on kindle. A few of Matthew Reilly

I want to replace a lot of Linda Howard but not many are available yet. Also Julie Garwood I would like to replace, JD Robb Janet Evanovich some of Clive Cussler

I have genre mood swings, mainly romantic suspense, romance, action thrillers.

Some mysteries and romantic comedies like Rachel Gibson Jennifer Crusie
Susan Andersen

If I had the money and they were available I would probably go nuts Smile But I am restraining myself Big Grin

RE: Books you have re-bought for Kindle - Alex - 09 Oct 2010 08:20 PM

Just thought of another fabulous book which I have read a few times now. I love Christopher Brookmyre books in general but my favourite is All Fun and Games Until Somebody Looses an Eye, would definetley recommend this.

RE: Books you have re-bought for Kindle - jacom700 - 10 Oct 2010 07:14 AM

I have read several books more than once including most of the Sookie Stackhouse series mentioned above. But as I still have the books and I don't read away from my home I can't see the point of rebuy for the Kindle especially as they would cost more I paid for the paper versions in the first place.

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=199251

RE: Books you have re-bought for Kindle - Margaret Lake - 10 Oct 2010 01:45 PM

I could have gone nuts replacing books, but I tried to be very careful.

Over the past two years, I have replaced my favorite Nora Roberts books and all of the Outlander series. The latter was because I led an online book club for it. Otherwise, I would only have replaced the first three. Outlander (Cross-Stitch in the UK) is my favorite book.

As soon as the Agatha Christie books started appearing, I started buying them. They were reasonably priced. As soon as the Rex Stout Nero Wolfe mysteries came out, I started buying those but only those that are reasonably priced.

I would replace all of Susan Howatch's books (not the gothic mysteries), but only two are available. Since those two are part of the St. Benet's Trilogy, I was going to hold out until the first one was kindleized, but I caved. She is my favorite author. Her historical fiction is superb and her Starbridge series on The Church of England is outstanding. She's one of those authors that can use ordinary words and turn them into extraordinary words.

Unfortunately, the publishers v. amazon war took place and some of the books I wanted to replace (and had already donated to charity) tripled in price.

I donated several thousand books in the ten years before I got my Kindle. I was down to seven bookcases with no double rows and nothing stacked on top of each other. After this last round of donations, I could probably fit everything into two bookcases. I did keep my mystery books except those I've read so often, the pages are falling out.

RE: Books you have re-bought for Kindle - Lou - 10 Oct 2010 06:28 PM

I've just bought Dust of Dreams by Steven Erikson in both hardback and eBook format as I have all the rest of the series in hardback and wan't to complete the collection. I will read the Kindle version though as the hardbacks are a real strain on the arm due to their size.

RE: Books you have re-bought for Kindle - Alex - 10 Oct 2010 06:51 PM

(10 Oct 2010 06:28 PM)Lou Wrote:  I've just bought Dust of Dreams by Steven Erikson in both hardback and eBook format as I have all the rest of the series in hardback and wan't to complete the collection. I will read the Kindle version though as the hardbacks are a real strain on the arm due to their size.

There is something beautiful about have a full collection of your favourite series all lined up on the shelf, with matching artwork. Don't you think? It's one thing I'll miss as I begin to buy more e-books and less DTBs.

RE: Books you have re-bought for Kindle - Lou - 10 Oct 2010 08:35 PM

It is nice to have a collection like this (it's a huge series), but as my wife and I are both quite heavy readers we literally have books all over the house. Once she has a Kindle as well, I think we may well be able to keep a tidier house Smile

RE: Books you have re-bought for Kindle - Margaret Lake - 10 Oct 2010 11:48 PM

(10 Oct 2010 06:28 PM)Lou Wrote:  I've just bought Dust of Dreams by Steven Erikson in both hardback and eBook format as I have all the rest of the series in hardback and wan't to complete the collection. I will read the Kindle version though as the hardbacks are a real strain on the arm due to their size.

I was going to do that with one series. I had the first six in hardback and when #7 came out, I was going to buy both. Then I remembered that Book #5 fell apart and I didn't want to spend the money for a book that wasn't going to last. I went for the ebook only and gave the hardbacks to my daughter. She loves the series, too, and was thrilled to get it.