UK Kindle Users Forum
US Kindle Fire in the UK - Printable Version

+- UK Kindle Users Forum (http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum)
+-- Forum: Kindle Fire Forums (/forum-68.html)
+--- Forum: Kindle Fire Original US Model (/forum-155.html)
+---- Forum: Kindle Fire FAQs and How-To's (imported original US model) (/forum-135.html)
+----- Forum: Kindle Fire in the UK (/forum-136.html)
+----- Thread: US Kindle Fire in the UK (/thread-4507.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

US Kindle Fire in the UK - Lou - 29 Sep 2011 09:50 PM

I was pondering earlier how feasible it would be to use a US Kindle Fire in the UK assuming you could get your hands on one.

At first my inclination was to dismiss it as being unworkable because of the reliance on Amazon web services, but then it struck me that the whole point is that it's a mobile device, so presumably they would not block access from a UK Wi-Fi connection - surely you would have a right to use your mobile device anywhere you liked?

That does raise an interesting point though because a lot of US based movie on demand services will not allow you to access them from outside the states due to licensing restrictions. Could we assume that Amazon have somehow found a way around this, or would Kindle Fire owners find themselves locked out when they travel.

If the above is true, then the only potential stumbling block would be actually paying for the services /Amazon Prime - presumably you would have to register a US credit card.

RE: US Kindle Fire in the UK - sounddave - 13 Jan 2012 10:30 AM

Sorry If Im going over old ground, Im just going through threads in the hope of answering them for people

(29 Sep 2011 09:50 PM)Lou Wrote:  I was pondering earlier how feasible it would be to use a US Kindle Fire in the UK assuming you could get your hands on one.

At first my inclination was to dismiss it as being unworkable because of the reliance on Amazon web services, but then it struck me that the whole point is that it's a mobile device, so presumably they would not block access from a UK Wi-Fi connection - surely you would have a right to use your mobile device anywhere you liked? - Correct, it connected instantly to my home wifi, and also cloud services in some retail parks (the one opposite my work has full free wifi) and online use is a breeze, downloading is simple also

That does raise an interesting point though because a lot of US based movie on demand services will not allow you to access them from outside the states due to licensing restrictions. Could we assume that Amazon have somehow found a way around this, or would Kindle Fire owners find themselves locked out when they travel. - I think this will be resolved in the UK release once all the licencing is sorted, but from what I have read, even US users find themselves locked out in some services when abroad atm

If the above is true, then the only potential stumbling block would be actually paying for the services /Amazon Prime - presumably you would have to register a US credit card. - You get a free months amazon prime when you start up the KF, mine is due to run out this week, but I also have an Amazon Prime account in the UK as it shows on both sites, so imagine it will work either way

Hope this helps

RE: US Kindle Fire in the UK - Lou - 13 Jan 2012 10:41 AM

Thanks Dave,

That's a very clear response to all the questions, and something I will add to a Kindle Fire FAQ in the future.

RE: US Kindle Fire in the UK - prl100 - 13 Jan 2012 11:19 PM

Hey

Now as netflix has launched in the Uk. Has anybody found a way to get it to work on their kindle fire in the Uk? Iv downloaded the Apk file from the web and installed it fine, but it comes up with an error whenever I load up the app asking me to check network connectivity and the device time settings.

Any ideas?

RE: US Kindle Fire in the UK - sounddave - 16 Jan 2012 09:00 AM

Ive got it installed, but I havent set up a netflix account.

There's a few free or cheap account promos dotted about so I might give it a whirl this week.

Edit

Will this be something to a simliar doo dah with the BBC Iplayer where you need to switch off your web activity?

RE: US Kindle Fire in the UK - sounddave - 16 Jan 2012 07:26 PM

Actually I was wrong

Provided you have a netflix account, and the new android netflix app, you can watch streaming films rather easily, over wifi

<goes back to watching Howard The Duck>

RE: US Kindle Fire in the UK - Viperstealth - 19 Jan 2012 03:19 PM

So, just to confirm, is there a way to download apps from a US Fire, in the UK - without registering a US credit card? I'm keen to download apps but cant - not even freebies! (wtf?)

RE: US Kindle Fire in the UK - sounddave - 23 Jan 2012 09:38 AM

No, you will need to register a US credit card, and Billing Address.

RE: US Kindle Fire in the UK - carryonvending - 13 Feb 2012 12:36 PM

(23 Jan 2012 09:38 AM)sounddave Wrote:  No, you will need to register a US credit card, and Billing Address.

STOP PRESS - Amazon UK (we hear) are to launch the FIRE as THE EMBERS

Thats all that will be left shortly

RE: US Kindle Fire in the UK - tidgey2 - 25 Mar 2012 09:14 PM

(13 Feb 2012 12:36 PM)carryonvending Wrote:  
(23 Jan 2012 09:38 AM)sounddave Wrote:  No, you will need to register a US credit card, and Billing Address.

STOP PRESS - Amazon UK (we hear) are to launch the FIRE as THE EMBERS

Thats all that will be left shortly

Hello I recently read in Glamour magazine that the fire is coming to the UK in April!! We shall seeGroovy